Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They nailed the 300R, it is an absolute power house. The only thing I miss about a 300x and my 2.5's is the sound, but the 300R sure sounds good on a cold start. Maybe not the 300X crackle, but still good. What is even better about the sound is it just makes noise when the key is turned and then it is quiet after a few minutes. Which is so awesome to be able to idle around and not have to talk over my motor. Man I'm getting old..... I went back to a premix 2.4 BP this last season while I waited for my boat to be built and my new motor to show up and man I couldn't wait to get rid of that old stuff. I just want to turn the key and go fast.

The 300R was such a fun motor to own. Reliable, low maintenance, turn key power. I absolutely punished mine. I had just short of 300 hours on it and virtually every morning I was out doing hard acceleration runs on it right up to the limiter. Pass after pass after pass. We did tons of testing with it for Fastbass Marine and Allison. Something that I was super impressed with was how consistent it was. When prop testing with a data logger it would log pass after pass with no changes. Unlike the 300XS, I could only make 1-2 passes before it would fall off and start slowing down. I could test 5 to 6 props making 3-4 passes each and make real comparisons without having to worry about the motor being the change.

I never had an issue with the motor in the couple of years I had it. I can't wait to hang my 450. Spring can't come soon enough.
    Allison XB21 2+2

2. Thanks scott reierson thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Larry .. how quick + fast have you been down your local drag strip with your viper ???

My Neon has been 4.17 @ 175 1/8th, 6.60 / 209.89 quarter.

1994 , 1997 , 1999 , 2005 , 2007 Moroso Motorsports Park Q-16 Track Champion.

Bunch of other stuff ... If I listed, you would once again mistake my realism for hate or boasting ..

I do congratulate you on 2012 boat of the month .. awesome

====================================================

Yes, I have to agree that the plandemic and the mishandling of everything from a loaf of bread in the store to our health care system is sliding off the ledge.
    However, the bowling ball has exercised their ways .. long before we started blundering buck butter. Even more so since OMC is not there to keep them at least somewhat honest.

So, you want a new set off 300 pork chops. Don't waste you time going to your local dealer thats been there since you were a kid. The truck drives right by them to drop off motors at the boat builders doors. Maybe they will turn a couple loose .. but your gonna pay for em. Afterall, they are not a dealer, what do they care if you call and complain about what they want for a couple motors ..

Can't buy anything but four strokes .. so it's pretty lame even mentioning new boats ~ old motors .. etc.
    If I bought a boat that was creeping up on a million dollars, I would hope there was somewhere i could get in out of the rain .. sleeps 6 , ****'s a minimum of 12 .. comfortably ..
    From what I have noticed, people on this site are not millionaires. The couple that truly are .. don't act like it. They seem to be more sensible. I'm sure there is a market for 50' cats that need a half a dozen foe~fiddy porky's handin off the back. You know the kind of boat where you need side lift trailer and a permit from the DOT , along with a three man crew to launch it . I already gotz a job , I don't even entertain the thought of another one.

I didnt mention "manifold pressure models" .. I've ran enough blown alky cars to know what 5 more psi of boost is worth. And I know what it's like to drive over the crank too ..

40 ft/lbs more torque ... OhhhKayyyyyyy

Well it is 35% larger ....

A stock 300x makes 240 ft/lbs @ 3000 = 137 HP

"+40" 336 ft/lbs @ 3000 = 191 HP

300x 317 ft/lbs @ 4500 = 271 HP

"+40" 443 ft/lbs @ 4500 = 380 HP

300x 267 ft/lbs @ 6400 = 325 HP

"+40" 374 ft/lbs @ 6400 = 455 HP

Chaz = thinkin, some geek at the advertizing dept put it a brochure .. cuz thats what 40 ft/lbs across the sweep would really look like ..

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what he said
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Going back to the spirit of the original question ...

Standard ring set

Gasket set

32 valve springs

16 exhaust valves

Part numbers , price and availability .. Is that really too much to ask ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Going back to the spirit of the original question ... Is that really too much to ask ..
    No. And in all your condescending blabbering, you haven't answered the OP's.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the 400R and love the 450R. My problem is I do not think two 400R would work very well on my 36' Talon. Three is too heavy as I am fighting a balance problem. My gas tanks are too far back in the boat. Big deal to move those. The 400R and the 450R are heavy engines. I currently have a ballast tank in the front that I never needed to use with triple 280's. The 300X changed that. In rough water (Ozarks) I use the tank to keep the boat level running in really sloppy water at 90 MPH. Twin 450's would be the goal but that involves a total re-rig in shifter, throttles, gauges, remove center bracket and remove the center pod that protects the center engine. The 450R at $55k each is another factor. Triple 300R is perfect for the boat. I am pulling the trigger on those. Not expecting big speed increase but look forward to lower cost of fuel, reliability and a 3-year warranty. I know the boat is older but it looks great, handles rough water as good as any new big cat I have been in. Also have a new interior coming using the new Alcantara leather like material used in the new cats. Dropping a few bucks on this boat is far less than buying a new 36 outboard cat for $550,000.
    Thank you to everyone who posted, it helped make my decision. Later this year I will be selling three 300X and spare powerhead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201002_170611.jpg  
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 01-23-2022 at 01:00 PM.

8. Thanks scott reierson, 30velocity thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't take It with you, less fuel and problems, 450's
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I currently own 3 450s, 3 300Rs, and 2 300X motors. No way would I consider more X motors. They were the best for a long time but for those of us who actually boat 100 miles or more a week, the two strokes don't make sense. I ran my Skater twice within the last couple weeks ($200 in oil, $1000 in fuel for those two trips). I am at LOTO right now, ran my pontoon yesterday and to a chilly dinner last night. (300R)-quite, able to talk, shifts perfect, no stalls at the docks etc., and incredible performance-I love it.

I ran my 450 cat this morning (130 mph) for 12 miles all while talking at a normal voice to my occupant. Never has this even been a possibility before the new V-8s arrived and we consumed the same fuel as X motors but no oil consumption. If you are running multiples, the 400Rs are a viable option for many set ups but I was never impressed with any in single configuration; other then HydroSkreamin's, and Engineer Mike's eliminators.
    My sons STV is being rigged with a new 3.4 V-6 (mini chop) this week as well. My thoughts are if you haven't experienced them then you don't know and shouldn't comment. Anyone that thinks a 300R is more money then a 300X was new in 2001-2005 compared to today's dollar value is wrong.

There are several race teams who have purchased 300R motors, (one of them was a die hard 300X fan in the past), but he has too has experienced the new power/torque and made the change.

Joe

11. Likes TooStroked, mikesufka, Speed Jr. liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brad,

"Dropping a few bucks on this boat is far less than buying a new 36 outboard cat for $550,000."

Yep...and there it is. You couldn't have said it any better, and so it goes,

Fast forward a few years....

When the new aftermarket 500hp lightweight 275lb electric drop on plug and play power heads and batteries become available..., it will be a lot easier for us.

3 Lightweight 150lb batteries. (lighter than gas) 600 volt x 3 power heads = 1800 volt battery system with 8 hour WO run time. Easy 2 box rigging with single harness. One Digital gauge smart phone compatible BT setup, diagnosis and service

That new 1800 Volt plug in charge socket in the old fuel fill hole will look right at home.

Game on for the Vintage electric Talon to dominate the Chain!

I hope to be their with ya.

Last edited by scott reierson; 01-23-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad -

Cool project - will be curious to hear your thoughts after the switch. Are 300R’s available right now or is there a wait ?

Joe -

What 450 cat do you have ? I thought you had a 28 Skater ?

MDS

14. Likes Speed Jr., specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesufka View Post
    Brad -

Cool project - will be curious to hear your thoughts after the switch. Are 300R’s available right now or is there a wait ?

Joe -

What 450 cat do you have ? I thought you had a 28 Skater ?

MDS
    I still have the 28 but it will be sold soon. I picked up a 36 Wright/Performance to run this year until my 38 (under construction) is completed along with the anticipated next generation of power being released. There are 300Rs out there but people are getting over retail for them. If ordered today, you should see them in June.

Brads boat with triple R motors will have serious acceleration for a boat weighing what it does-should be a blast to watch at the lake.

Joe

16. Thanks mikesufka thanked for this post
    Likes Speed Jr., specboatops liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading another thread about V8 motors way too heavy for any boat I will own. I appreciate their application & don't doubt their performance but what about yesteryears smaller hi-perf boats? Merc where are you? Anyone? RR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you I would just drop 3 300R on the back and try it out I would think it would drive better than 400's and your rig still should do 100 you have been to over 160 with you other boat I don't think the 400r or the big bad 450 are worth it in my opinion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more motors for us, RiverRat. That’s why I bought my 200XS while I still could, and a 150 Etec with my brother for our ski boat

The 200XS burns way less fuel then my old 225 Promax. It will pay for itself in fuel savings if I live to be 300, same as replacing a 300X with a 300R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brad what mid section are you getting on the 300r’s? The newer CMS FYI ways as much as 400r.

Double
    Rigged
    308 Skater w/400r’s
    Over-Kill

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast