Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to me Hydrostream Owner - 1977 Vulture

Hi Everyone,

Longtime lurker here I've tried to read as much as possible before jumping in the deep end. I've had my eyes on a Hydrostream for a while and after looking at quite a few basket cases I think I finally found the one.

I picked up the boat a couple of weekends ago (left a wedding early on a Saturday night to wake up at 5:30 on a Sunday morning and drive 4 hours out of my way through an ice storm to pick up the Vulture all while making it back in time to get my wife from the hotel right at checkout time and drive another 7 hours back to NY) and I am looking forward to getting this boat dialed in.

The previous owner was slightly active on Scream and Fly. Part of my motivation for getting this particular boat was that he documented all of the work that he did to the core/floor/transom, I knew that I didn't want to do this portion of the work if I didn't have to. I also wanted just a hull if possible as well as I have a 1989 Yamaha Excel from my last boat that I sold (I sold both of my boats - a 1986 Grady White Tournament 190 and my pride and joy, a 1989 Wellcraft Scarab Sportster/Sprint) this past year before my wedding in September and knew it was only a matter of time before I was back in the game).

Does anyone know of any good resources in the NY area (boat will be on Lake George, NY but we travel back and forth to NYC for work on the weekends) that could help with possibly changing the color/paint scheme? PO also made his own "windshield" from glass, but I do have the original frame and broken plexi that came with the boat that I would like to find a new piece of transparent acrylic for.

Also know that I would like to do a refresh (rebuild with some potential power upgrades) of the outboard as well and definitely need to shorten the length, any recommendations for people to go to for that would be great as well. I do have access to a small machine shop and an excellent I've tinkered with smaller outboards my entire life but never any performance oriented mods, but I am much more familiar with cars so don't know any of the gurus in the outboard world.

I have the original seats for it, but the frames are rotten. I might rebuild them just to have them but don't know what seats to run front/back. Like the look of buckets, has anyone run suspension-style seats in their Hydrostream before?

Happy to have the boat covered before the -33 wind chill hit the other night, happy to be here and ready to listen to any and all guidance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	439.3 KB 
ID:	499904

The Scarab with the Excel before selling

Name:	IMG_2994.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	499905

Blank canvas

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	499906

Name:	IMG_2390.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	499908

Name:	1989-hydrostream-powerboat-with-excel-v6-yamaha-outboard-7.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	499909

Proof that I am not crazy for wanting to put an Excel on a Hydrostream!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...cool. congrats. welcome to s & f......

3. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help you out with the resources around Lake George always done my own work. Boated with a 20' vulture hydrostream on Lake George for many many years it's kind of a small boat for that lake. But as long as you watch the wind and stay away from the main part of the lake you'll be fine. I've taken waves over the bow of my 20' hydrostream quite a few times causing me to switch to a 23 EliminatorDaytona With twins. My sister used to own Cleverdale country store If you know where that's at.

8. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perfmarine1 View Post
    Can't help you out with the resources around Lake George always done my own work. Boated with a 20' vulture hydrostream on Lake George for many many years it's kind of a small boat for that lake. But as long as you watch the wind and stay away from the main part of the lake you'll be fine. I've taken waves over the bow of my 20' hydrostream quite a few times causing me to switch to a 23 EliminatorDaytona With twins. My sister used to own Cleverdale country store If you know where that's at.
    I do know the store! We have a house all the way at the north end of the Lake in Ticonderoga, but before 1992 we used to have a campsite on Long Island all summer long.

The 26' Scarab pictured above was a perfect boat for the lake and suited me fine for years, but not as many people come to the house anymore so the smaller ripper will be used for Thursday afternoon pre-sunset types of cruises. I plan on getting a sleepy boring bow rider for the weekends and holiday weeks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hydrostream's and Yamaha's are what really got me into boating - that's how our local dealer used to rig them. Congrats on a cool project. Throw out more pictures as you complete the project.

MDS

11. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Ronnie on here , he can either help you or point you in the right direction…… welcome to the site
    2003 mirage ski racer with e-tec power

13. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can help....... I have 20 inch stuff........

15. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unearthed View Post
    I do know the store! We have a house all the way at the north end of the Lake in Ticonderoga, but before 1992 we used to have a campsite on Long Island all summer long.

The 26' Scarab pictured above was a perfect boat for the lake and suited me fine for years, but not as many people come to the house anymore so the smaller ripper will be used for Thursday afternoon pre-sunset types of cruises. I plan on getting a sleepy boring bow rider for the weekends and holiday weeks.

You'll be fine on that end of the lake with the hydrostream. I've actually scuba dived around Odell island sure you know where that's at, Also did a lot of scuba diving around Herkimer island at the South end of the lake for the Herkimer diamonds which are actually quartz we found tons of them.

17. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    I can help....... I have 20 inch stuff........
    Hey Dave, tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the site! Cool boat. If you're in NY "Ronnie" as stated above is the man to talk to.

UPD Plastics makes the Hydrostream windshields. That style windshield is the same across all models fyi.

20. Likes unearthed liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tnelsmn View Post
    Welcome to the site! Cool boat. If you're in NY "Ronnie" as stated above is the man to talk to.

UPD Plastics makes the Hydrostream windshields. That style windshield is the same across all models fyi.
    Good intel, thanks and thanks for the compliment. I like the piece of fiberglass the PO put in but I prefer the stock look of the windshield with the "windows" on the port and starboard sides.

Edit; just went through all your photos of your Viking build. Wow, amazing stuff.
    Last edited by unearthed; 01-19-2022 at 12:30 PM.

22. Thanks tnelsmn thanked for this post