Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceramic Transom, pour or pump, need to save the orig transom deck

Hello All, So I'm restoring a 79 18VKing that was in all original condition, took it apart to clean, check, rerig, you know standard Hydro Stream revamp, well found a rot it the transom around that stupid PLASTIC well drain tube, area about 6". At first was just gonna hit it with some resin/acetone mix to harden the rot up, but decided to change it. I have about 80% removed back to the skin and only have the upper corners left to clean, have used recip saws nailbars, wood chisels and grinding dics. The boat has perfect flake{ sorry Lake}so transom delete is out, has the stock motor holes plus holes for a OMC 1" jackplate that has mounting holes out about 5" from orig motor holes , so plan is to drill a 1/2 hole top center an 2 small holes on the outside of transom cap where the jackplate wll cover all 3 up when done, load putty into a pressure pot and start pumping it in at the lower holes and work my way up sealing off holes as I go till the putty comes out the top fill and breather holes, if this doesn't seem doable next plan is to hang boat by bow and just hand pour into transom area till filled to thickness I want and then glass over, SOOOO, any body do this before, I've seen the video with the big gouge across the top of the transom and they just pour it but I don't want to destroy the factory finish, John

2. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't waste your time with any "mechanic in a can"

4. Likes rgsauger, OnPad liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did a SeaCast transom many years ago and it’s still good. StarCraft aluminum Fishing boat so it was easy to pour it in but it did work well. Heavy is the only downside really. I don’t know how good it would be under extreme power levels I really can’t say. There’s a member here who did a seacast transom on his viper and it worked out well.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what i'm using, supposed to be stronger then ply in the end, ofcoures I want to add some 1708 to the inside of the transom glass, will really end up with a solid 1/2" glass transom, then fill whatever void with the ceramic, inner glass/cap will be about 3/8" or so, really looking to see if anybody ever pumped it in with a pressure pot instead of cutting a big hole/slot across the top of the transom to pour it in, it's all about saving the original gel/flake finish, Thanks for all info, John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that stuff is as thick as I think it is, not too sure about how well it would flow in a pressure pot. Pots are normally for very pourable liquids and generally run at low PSI. A positive displacement pump would come closer to giving you what you want I think.

The option of hanging it might be your better solution.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hanging would be easier, transom would be flat to do glass work, could just dam off sides and fill till happy, lay cover glass and be done, the part I don't like is the hanging 18 foot in the air, don.t need it to fall, but will likely end up that way. I have 10 gal commercial pots that we pressure up to 125 lbs when needed, but normally spray gelcoat at 50/60 psi tank pressure, still a couple weeks out from doing so maybe somebody will chime in that's tried it, gonna do a "open" transom on a 12 Baja cat first to see how it flows if any, Thanks For The Info, John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the redneck engineering flipping the boat and pressure squeezing to jimmy rig a transom is imo good work however your efforts could be better spent elsewhere. Spend some time to figure how to deal with that flat splashwell...Im sure if you flatten the splashwell you could still blend into the original flake pretty well, figure out how you can get that splashwell look great as it blends into the original flake and then you can do the transom the right way...You be surprised how good you could make it look using polyester and gelcoat for all repairs that way you could polish all the gelcoat out to match the flake, maybe even a color gradient into the flake...

Do you have pictures of the boat?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've used it numerous times and it works fine. These boats still need some internal bracing via knee braces to tie the deck,transom and knees together.