Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FrankenOpti - Oiling system questions...

Howdy guys, wondering if someone can steer me in the right direction here...

I have a late 90's 225 opti 3L I'm trying to get running. It fell off its stand 10+ years ago, smashed coils/injectors etc and sat gathering dust ever since. I'm replacing the broken bits and entire wiring loom with parts off a cooked early '00's 200 opti (coils/injectors same part numbers so figure we're good)

There are a few differences between the engines, right now I'm trying to work out which intake manifold and oil pump/system I should use (if I even have the option). The older 225 has no external oil lines except short ones from the pump to the distribution block in the reed plate which has little channels internally. The newer 200 oil system has external oil lines from pump into the sides of the reed plate, lines from transfer ports to the reeds (green) and lines that look like they supply the main bearings? (red).

Basically, should I stick with the 225's original intake manifold and oil pump, or should I switch to the newer setup? Did the earlier Opti (with no external oil lines) have a decent oil supply to the bearings? (because I can't see how it would)

Appreciate any pointers you can give, these motors are tricky!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intakes.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	496382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	404.7 KB 
ID:	496383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	225.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	496384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That thing is ancient in Optimax terms. Thats one of the original 3.0L. The oiling systems are pretty similar with a few differences. I think you have to change to the new style system if you are changing the wiring harness. I believe the old style pump has a 4-pin connector, and the new has a 2 pin. Heres some diagrams of the oiling systems. I would personally swap to the new system anyhow, if that old pump goes out you need a whole different pump with an adapter and stuff anyways.

Opti Oil Flow 2000+.pdf1997-99 Opti Oil Flow.pdf

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    That thing is ancient in Optimax terms. Thats one of the original 3.0L. The oiling systems are pretty similar with a few differences. I think you have to change to the new style system if you are changing the wiring harness. I believe the old style pump has a 4-pin connector, and the new has a 2 pin. Heres some diagrams of the oiling systems. I would personally swap to the new system anyhow, if that old pump goes out you need a whole different pump with an adapter and stuff anyways.

Opti Oil Flow 2000+.pdf1997-99 Opti Oil Flow.pdf
    Thanks for those PDF's mate! They will help for sure. Both pumps have a 2 wire plug so there's no issue there but I guess I'm just wanting to go with whatever setup is most reliable. You're not aware of any inherent oiling issues in the older optis? (all the external lines on the newer one has got me wondering

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm not sure I'm the right guy to answer that. I'm sure there is some reason for changing systems, but I don't know exactly what that is. Judging by the diagrams, the oil is all flowing to the right places. Maybe this was just a simplet to manufacture system? Maybe the gaskets in the old style pump were a leak/failiure point?

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390