Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200xs again

This is the same motor that I talked about with the distorted cowl pan. Got new pan installed and it fit perfect. Motor started right up but after idling for several minutes it died and would not fire. Motor sits for a while and it will start but not for long. Seems to me something is telling the motor it is mega hot when it is not thus triggering Gaurdian mode. This is what has been done so far. Merc mechanic (not me) cleaned fuel rails then replaced all direct injectors at a cost of $3000+ and it did no good. Went to Bass Pro ( mechanic is a good friend of mine and an exceptional wrench) and got a computer read out on condition. Active status TPS 1 Range Low, Sea water temp in Hi, and trim input low. My DDT also showed sea temp in hi. Motor has 381 hours on it. Under sea temp in hi on report all coolant temps were tween 96 and 99. I removed powerhead and replaced cowl pan that was distorted and cleaned dump area in adapter. I also have a 200xs on my boat and it runs. I checked heat sensors in heads and got good results (no continuity) but when testing sending unit in compressor got conflicting results. Checked same sensor in my motor's compressor and got different results which makes me think there may be an issue there but would a bad sender cause existing condition. I also removed poppet cuz i've seen seat come loose and cause heat issues. Seat is in place and even though poppet was full of gravel I don't really think this is the issue. Open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 150 optimax is as close to your engine as i have
    you might be able to check error codes
    or better yet try to get the manuals from ebay for your engine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 135-150 OPTIMAX-DIRECT FUEL INJECTION-With Serial Numbers OG590000 and Above.pdf  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the post. I have the correct factory manual for the motor. I had looked thru my manual for info regarding the error codes I was getting and found nothing. I figured it was in there somewhere but had no luck locating it. After your post I looked again and apparently more thoroughly and found the info I was looking for. Probably more info than I will know how to process but gives me somewhere to go so I'll start over. Thanks.

Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    This is the same motor that I talked about with the distorted cowl pan. Got new pan installed and it fit perfect. Motor started right up but after idling for several minutes it died and would not fire. Motor sits for a while and it will start but not for long. Seems to me something is telling the motor it is mega hot when it is not thus triggering Gaurdian mode. This is what has been done so far. Merc mechanic (not me) cleaned fuel rails then replaced all direct injectors at a cost of $3000+ and it did no good. Went to Bass Pro ( mechanic is a good friend of mine and an exceptional wrench) and got a computer read out on condition. Active status TPS 1 Range Low, Sea water temp in Hi, and trim input low. My DDT also showed sea temp in hi. Motor has 381 hours on it. Under sea temp in hi on report all coolant temps were tween 96 and 99. I removed powerhead and replaced cowl pan that was distorted and cleaned dump area in adapter. I also have a 200xs on my boat and it runs. I checked heat sensors in heads and got good results (no continuity) but when testing sending unit in compressor got conflicting results. Checked same sensor in my motor's compressor and got different results which makes me think there may be an issue there but would a bad sender cause existing condition. I also removed poppet cuz i've seen seat come loose and cause heat issues. Seat is in place and even though poppet was full of gravel I don't really think this is the issue. Open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Rock
    Have you ran it since cleaning poppet?

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I have not.

Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    No I have not.

Rock

Might be worth a try.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have mentioned this thing runs great at idle thru marina but when it's time to go it sounds horrible then just quits. I am thinking about starting over cuz I personally have not checked air and/or fuel pressure. Other shops probably but I don't know. I was blaming Guardian but it can't be the issue cuz they will start in Guardian mode so whatever is happening is killing fire to the plugs but once cooled down it will fire again. Thought about swapping my ecm to his motor but afraid what took his out may still be lurking and adversely affect mine. I would like to think a poppet full of gravel could create this issue but I doubt it. Big issue is we have to haul it to the river and he refuses to mount a trolling motor and ruin the looks so I have to take my boat out to tow with. High cold assed water with lots of current and no docks. I don't want to go there.

Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your sure its dying on spark? Could it be running out of fuel? I think your onto something with starting with fuel/air pressure. Theres a few good tests there that you can do. It at least rules that out if nothing less.

Do you have the combo fuel/air gauge? If you need some tests on that side I can give you some things to try.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have confirmed a bad sender in compressor. New one ordered then we test again. I have pressure gauges and will check it if this does not work.

Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

10. Likes Greg G liked this post
    Formerly Central WI/LOTO Currently PHX AZ
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you actually have a TPS1 error, you need to fix that first. ALL fueling is determined by that, with adjustments from temp input. An Opti will not change speed if you manually open the butterfly without moving the TPS, but the TPS movement will dump fuel.

If you have a service tool to monitor this, you can check this on the hose, no need to splash the boat.

The air compressor temp is only for monitoring for overtemp, no engine fueling modification.

If you can change that TPS, I would, and check all the wiring between the sensor and PCM.

Hope this helps, and good luck getting to the bottom of it.
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the info. TPS was my first consideration. Checked out fine. It read from 0 to 5. Computer read-out did say TPS 1 input low so I assumed it needed adjusted then found the TPS is not adjustable. On the same page it had battery voltage at 9.3 so again I assumed that was the reason for the input low. It also read trim input low and that was a battery issue. When using the DDT there was no mention of TPS errors but that was with fully charged battery. If I had an extra known good TPS I would swap em out in a heartbeat but I am not quite ready to just throw parts at this thing. If temp sender makes no difference, and it probably won't, I will rig my pressure test and have that and my DDT on the motor when we splash it. Hopefully it shows something. Thanks again for the help.

Rock
    Team Junk

"Screamin Heathen"

13. Likes Dave Strong liked this post