Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transom Savers

Anybody have a preference on a brand or style of transom saver? They all look pretty much the same to me. I definitely do not want the style that pins in to the outboard clamp bracket (just transfers the bouncing loads back into transom?) Am looking for a brand that has a distinctive method of attachment to the gearcase. Not really thrilled with rubber or bungee straps. I don't want to drill on my trailer either. U bolts would be OK though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used one. I always figured if my transom was too weak to hold the motor rolling down the road then theres no way it would hold the motor on hitting waves/chop. When you look at the motor under power, especially full power the thing is bangin hard all over the place
    Hydrostream dreamin

3. Likes David - WI, Garth91, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I've never used one. I always figured if my transom was too weak to hold the motor rolling down the road then theres no way it would hold the motor on hitting waves/chop. When you look at the motor under power, especially full power the thing is bangin hard all over the place
    I've always figured everything has a "fatigue" life.

All that flexing at the lake is part of the smiles per miles.

All that flexing on the trailer is fatiguing things prematurely taking away from potential smiles per miles.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I agree fully. If it can't handle bouncing down the highway, then I don't want to trust it on the water. BUT, I use a transom saver to prolong it's life or reduce some stress to some components whenever possible.

I've had this transom save here: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...B&gclsrc=aw.ds on two different boats/set ups now. Came with used boats I purchased. I had a cheaper one that came with a boat I bought for just the motor (and needed it to make sure the motor made it home) and I lost it somewhere on the drive home (but the motor made it home )

I've had no complaints with this one, works fine for me, is easy to put on and off quickly at the ramp, and hopefully extends the life of my boat and motor parts.

5. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever, tnelsmn, PurpleHaze94 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moatorbotin View Post
    I've always figured everything has a "fatigue" life.

All that flexing at the lake is part of the smiles per miles.

All that flexing on the trailer is fatiguing things prematurely taking away from potential smiles per miles.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I agree fully. If it can't handle bouncing down the highway, then I don't want to trust it on the water. BUT, I use a transom saver to prolong it's life or reduce some stress to some components whenever possible.

I've had this transom save here: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...B&gclsrc=aw.ds on two different boats/set ups now. Came with used boats I purchased. I had a cheaper one that came with a boat I bought for just the motor (and needed it to make sure the motor made it home) and I lost it somewhere on the drive home (but the motor made it home )

I've had no complaints with this one, works fine for me, is easy to put on and off quickly at the ramp, and hopefully extends the life of my boat and motor parts.

Your absolutely right here. I like this line of thinking and Im going to utilize it because I drag my boats all over the damn place. Solid tip thanks
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Your absolutely right here. I like this line of thinking and Im going to utilize it because I drag my boats all over the damn place. Solid tip thanks
    I tow frequently also.

Now, years ago I had a boat with a hydraulic jack plate that allowed me to tow the boat with the motor totally vertical. I didn't bother with a transom saver on that one because in that position the motor barely moved (24 progression). But on my other boats with the motor trimmed up a bit they flop all over. I kind of think of the transom saver as more of a clamp/trim cylinder/steering swivel/etc saver in those situations.

it's not perfect, but having the boat and trailer tied together as one (tie downs front and rear) and then using the transom saver just seems like a good way to relieve some stresses.

8. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes your right about that too. I was worried about using one on a coned lower but I can fab up something that wont be an issue. I have plenty of mods coming to my trailer anyways so I'll incorporate a rod for this into the design. I'll post pics when I get there
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like these guys, solid build
    https://www.veveinc.com/shop/Boat-Transom-Savers/
    <> God is great , Beer is good , Boaters are crazy <>

11. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Extreme Max has a rubber cradle that holds the motor just above the bullet and then presses against a roller on the back of the trailer.

Boats are engineered for loads on the transom while in the water, the bouncing loads while trailering are different.

A good transom should be strong enough to survive the trailering loads but for the $150 it costs for transom saver why put excessive loads on your boat if you don't have to.
    2023 Progression 22 w/ 2015 Mercury 300XS. 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX. 1969 Hustler Wildcat. Gone but not forgotten: 1991 POS GW Invader. 1976 Donzi Hornet II. 1994 Formula 232 LS. 2001 Regal 2660. 1990 Formula 206 LS. 1992 Checkmate Pulse 186 w/ 2003 Mercury 200 EFI. Random assortment of jet skis.

13. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use one almost exactly the same as the bass pro shops unit shown above. Only difference is one long plastic contact point on each side of the lower unit. Same line of thinking, save some stress on components, I'm a ways into the second stage of trim when trailering since the trailer sits so low.

Used on a two different coned lowers. One I did myself and one that was on my new motor when I bought it. Both held up fine so far. I wanted to make something that would sit in the lowest part of the mid but never got around to it. After a whole season of dragging this thing everywhere I'm not going to bother.

15. Likes LakeFever liked this post