I bought this Johnson last year on a Hydra-Sports 20' bass boat. Spent a year restoring hull and re-wiring. Now on to the motor.

The motor had a rebuilt flywheel on it, but I replaced (all CDI) stator, timer base, power packs and rectifier, which had previously caught on fire. now has good spark on all 6 cylinders.

compression: #1 105 psi, #3 110, #5 105, #2 115, #4 115, #6 110

New Champion QL77JC4 gapped @ .040

All new 3/8 fuel lines from tank to vro plus added fuel/water seperator. all new lines to carbs and re-circulating system. flushed manifold drains and check valves w/alcohol, replace check valves not working

rebuilt VRO pump w/OEM kit
rebuilt carbs kits #0439079
new OEM thermostats w/diaphrams
New Boyesen power pack reeds
did lync & sync twice
new water pump kit OEM & adjusted shift rod to 21 15/16" per service manual

The air box was gutted when I bought it, with just spacers. I found a used airbox baffle and was wondering if to install or not.

The carbs are big bore, venturi measured 1.650", #397340. the side plates on the mixing chamber is 398020 , blank and 398021, although I can't see any difference. They are all jetted the same - low air jet .020, intermediate .000 plugged, fuel jet 76D

The service manual says (I don't tust it) timing should be 14 deg BTDC. idle 8 deg ATDC

I am new to 2-stroke outboards, but can turn a wrench. I am also going to do a coolant mod as i saw posted by 'Racer'

Sorry this is so long a post. Thanks in advance