Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRH1 View Post
    BRP produced and sold the 150HP 3 cylinder that utilized the RAVE exhaust system. When the G2 lineup first came out they were advertising the RAVE system for the 300HO. To my knowledge it never made it to market. Curious as to what the design problems were with it.
    In snowmobile and dirt bike applications, they use a really low ash oil and require exhaust power valve cleaning at relatively short intervals. You can imagine if the valve is exercised regularly, they don’t gum up as bad as if it’s run with it closed a lot, with the back side of the valve exposed to raw exhaust flowing on the top of the port.

I can tell you firsthand that it allowed us to lower the clutch engagement on our 10,000 RPM, 220 HP/780cc drag sleds from 5500-6800 on our normal reed engines to 4500-5500 on the power valve engines, running in the low 130’s MPH/5.30’s ET in the 1/8th mile on ice.

I think Dave Bush put some on an OMC as well, but I don’t know if he ever ran it.
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

2. Likes CUDA, Instigator liked this post
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

is this another pissin contest ? at one time I could piss over the partition between the stalls, fo real , dude you need to come to Taveres and just mingle, I'll even buy you lunch , nice little itallion joint with a a sandwich called the " Itallian Job " . will be there sat pittin for my friend who's running a championship hull w/carbed V6 sponsered by Miller Beer. no 4 strokes in sight . just don't wear those Hot Pants fun out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

4. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lets see if I got this right ... I start a thread and say .. let the two strokes run unrestricted. I am told it's a stock class , why is it ok for one not the other .. ???
    Yea .. ok I agree .. then it's two pages of , unrestricted two strokes .. hey make up my mind already ..

Skreeeeemin ... Thank you for pointing out the basic differences between a Schnuerle two stroke and a Otto cycle.

Before we go any further .. without looking it up , What is the "fifth cycle" and who came up with the concept ... ???

Two stroke's do have supercharging. Walter Kadden designed it in the early 1950's while working for MZ. Those toboggan's your talking about at least had an evenly spaced, center exit 3 into 1 primary's that provided a bit of port stuffing , but nothing like Kadden's invention.
    For the 300xs , Mercury chose a 1920's era log style conduit. A 16" primary , another one 10" and the last one 4" . Add 2" to those numbers , and you have the other side. While the top 4 holes might have somewhat of a dance partner, the bottom two are left to fend for themselves.
    As a point of reference ... the set of 911 headers I started tacking together this morning, has a primary length difference of less than a quarter inch.

Those power valves shown above .. are they located on the "roof" or the "floor" of the port .. think before you answer ..

Two strokes burn oil. Oil not only kills the octane in fuel it also detonates pretty easily. As evidenced by the "top hat" shaped chambers which stave off detonation, but are nothing to write home about when it comes to power production.

To add insult to injurie , the poor xs has a kompresser , no-no not to boost the crankcase , but to be there as a compression limmiter. Clip the heads past the air pressure and it sends fuel backwards thru the system .. Personally I would be ******* embarrassed to put on a decal that even mentioned "racing". It should say "Joan Claybrook C.A.R.B. approved opti-POP special"

Six cylinders 3.625" bore . Do the area of a circle math .
    Eight cylinders 3.600 bore . Do the area of a circle math.

One fires every 60 degrees
    The other , every 90 degrees

The one with more combustion area also has 3/8" more stroke .

The 4 valve head is a Keith Duckworth copy. He started development in 1958 but it didn't prove dominant for another 10 years.
    Mercury did good there , they copied a 1968 design.
    I would hope for the money they get for them porkies , that they have a bridge piston , thin rings with a Napier second. Some type of crank scraper / windage windows that drain back .. err down from the block .. 1970's GM stuff right there ..

Layed over on their side cam chain's ... marvelous.

Supercharging the porky for S S/S .. If your lookin for a bird on the ground .. it would most likely be easier to go to the welfare office and apply for assistance.

I'll just say , boost is a resistance to flow measurement. Port the head or stretch the duration , boost goes down .. power goes up ..

There so docile .. you can change your name from Smith to Smyth and drive it to PGA National for a round of golf ... Pppffttttttt

6. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man , now I feel real stupid

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the rest of us are just trying to walk upright , next you gonna bust into newton meeters or what ?

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    the rest of us are just trying to walk upright , next you gonna bust into newton meeters or what ?
    No brother , I'm just like you. An American ....

Inch and foot/lbs. have worked for me.

Metric is for those who can't count in fractions 10mm, 11, 12 ...

Newton meters are for school "learned" boys who think they can design a better toaster .. yet never grasped the concept of "lefty loosey - righty tighty" used out in the real world.

Wentworth , for those who had an ole 441 Beeza, 650 Turnup, etc.
    I did like the 70's Cycle magazine Norton 750 Commando girl ...

10. Thanks mr fun thanked for this post
    Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRH1 View Post
    BRP produced and sold the 150HP 3 cylinder that utilized the RAVE exhaust system. When the G2 lineup first came out they were advertising the RAVE system for the 300HO. To my knowledge it never made it to market. Curious as to what the design problems were with it.
    The g2 v6 ended up not really needing it due to the amount of low end torque it produces. The early V6 blocks have the extra side exhaust ports behind the sleeve, not sure about the later ones... would be interesting to open them up and see if they will turn up.

12. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it’s worth, the US auto industry is metric. Factory bolt torque specs are in Nm and the part drawings for components are metric.

If I bought a new 4 stroke from Mercury, would it have metric fasteners? I have not turned a wrench on our Etec,, although I do change the fuel filter yearly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    For what it’s worth, the US auto industry is metric. Factory bolt torque specs are in Nm and the part drawings for components are metric.
    Thank you , I rest my case ..

15. Likes pearlriverrat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    all in good " FUN " my new ride is a BMW K1200 RS , bitch will do 35 in 25' . of corse somebody like Pee rog will go " I had one of those but now I've moved on" stumpy little **** . wondering if I put a turbo on it , would be Bitchin
    Fun .. don't make it personal .. Joe's good peeps , he maybe lost his way a bit ..

I'll park out on the skreet by his house and play this wide open ..

He'll either pull up a lawn chair ..

Or holla dayum kids and them noisy ****** ring - dings .. I'm callin the EPA , Stu-gatzu , the other Joe , bootyjege and "I'm that little girl" cam-la's private line ...

17. Likes Michael J Giesler, Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ringa Dings.............Yaaaaaa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The turbo with no finns........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ya can still find the parts .. ya can buy/build a slider clutch, ya can plumb up the juice ..
    Bang it off the two-step, bump it in the beam ... proof positive not everyone is ready when they let go of the button ..

Chaz=thinkin, I like to ask people where was the tack @ when you passed the tree and the 60' block ...
    Man, I was just tryin to stay alive .. I'll have to look at the data recorder ..

21. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Fun .. don't make it personal .. Joe's good peeps , he maybe lost his way a bit ..

I'll park out on the skreet by his house and play this wide open ..

He'll either pull up a lawn chair ..

Or holla dayum kids and them noisy ****** ring - dings .. I'm callin the EPA , Stu-gatzu , the other Joe , bootyjege and "I'm that little girl" cam-la's private line ...

If you put a polaris XCR 800 or a HTG or a Mod Thundercat in one absolutely game over

23. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what any of those are .. I seen snow once @ well outside the convention center in Indy. November PRI show. We had to send "Rodnut" thru the back slider window .. so he could kick the door open after the motor/heater was on for about ten minutes ..

I was raised thinkin that if you got the transfers within 3/8" of the "exit" that a big percentage of the fresh charge would "short circuit" and be lost. I admire the guys who weren't afraid to add additional exhaust conduits over top of the transfers. I would imagine it started with the F-1 GP bikes . The public got it's first taste of modern two strokes with the Honda Elsinore's in the early seventy's. Aprilia and Cagiva carried it into the 90's . Maybe snow~ma~bubbles carried it farther .. sad that the Phukk-tard's with the EPA could close the door to their biggest market and force them to redesign if they they wanted to stay in buiz.

I thought they bumped their head the first time I saw .. I believe it was a Suzuki TM-400 with a bridged exhaust and cats-eyes over the transfers.

They were on the right track ..

No room in a WW2 era designed "modern" outboard to roll the short side to where the columns meet in the middle and rise together ..

Now I loved me some RD-350's when I was a kid .. poor ole corked up, slab sided POS cylinders ..

I do like the "toridal" chamber .. Yamaha brought to market. High swirl squish velocity .. plug dropped to be in the middle of the action instead of lost in the roof of the chamber .

I liked it so much .. A few weeks ago I "reverse en-gain-eered" it into a set of 300x heads that needed to be plunge cut for a 3.2 crank .. and gain enough volume to run on pump gas ...

25. Likes Instigator liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast