Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The "non commercial" 300r thread !

Go head chop the original , nothing for sale on this one ...

If you don't like what's said ... don't read it .. interesting concept ..

Quote Originally Posted by HydroSkreamin View Post

As far as pork chops and shrimp, I think it’s funny There’s worse things to be called.

I did make a few contacts, and have confirmed at least 5 SuperStock boats committing to putting 300Rs on for 2022 season. They do have to make that decision so they get them in time, so it’s a commitment today for the future. That’s a large percentage of the boats that ran 90%+ of this year’s schedule. Just so we’re clear, no one is being forced to run them, there’s still enough freedom in this country that they can choose which power to run, and over 60% of the regular class runners are choosing 300Rs of their own free will, knowing they have to keep them 20” engines, to compete with the current 300XS 15” engines.

What do they know that you don’t?
    I almost forgot about the shrimp heads , do they even make them any more... ???
    Seems like when they come out with something new , they are quick to drop last years model ..

Something I don't know ... nawww , not so much.

4600cc - 3200cc = 1400cc looks like the porkchop is almost half again as big .

V-8 has more swept piston area than a V-6 .. well more like a V-7 , 6 to go , the other a belt driven drag on HP. Maybe they should mandate that a porkchop run a catalytic converter to constipate it even more .. fair is fair .. right

I raced in one form or the other for 36 years of my life. The other parts I was too young or now too old. My racing is thru others today from my shop. One thing I can say about check writin racers is that if there is a plastic pile of dog **** Velcro'd to the hood or deck of the winning entry week after week .. they will all have a plastic pile of dog **** on their hood or deck before long.

So lets say the 20 year old Toyota tech on a stick winds up being the dominating combo .. will the powers that be "allow" racers to run an unrestricted 3.0-3.2 format ... No I truly doubt it .. can't have home brew 2 stroke's out run , out turn the mighty porker ..

PS .. you mentioned 20" porkchops . I can just see after everyone gets a pair of 20's .. Suprize , we came out with a new 15" race model .. No I'm sorry , we don't offer a conversion kit. You'll have to buy a couple more . Would be smart to keep the pair of 20's .. since we don't have "spare parts" available .. but we have decals ..

Sound about right ... ???

2. Likes Instigator, mr fun liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see a lot of incentive for Mercury to build a 15" 300R so a few race boats can run them. The racers voted and are choosing to run with the new motor. End of story.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirtbikes were brought up in the other thread that got poofed.

I wish Merc like KTM and other manufacturers still made a small two stroke for the hydrostream, allison, mirage, stv contingency. I know we all say the EPA killed it, and it did. But I wonder if it could have been done like the auto industry (I don't know the exact rules here so my statement is a pure generalization) where you get credits for selling economical cars (4 Strokes) so that you can sell the higher emissions and gas guzzler cars/trucks (2.5 280's)

I know I can wish in one hand and **** in the other, and I know which one will fill up faster, but I can still wish!

5. Likes aj06bolt12r liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think the EPA killed 2 strokes. I looked up the rules for emissions and they don’t seem to have changed since 2010 but maybe I looked at the wrong rule. BRP stopped making two strokes last year as they were not profitable. Everyone else shifted to four strokes earlier.

It doesn’t really matter as the choices now are 4 stroke or used. I would be quite happy with a 300R on a Liberator or Tuff. From what I see the 300R will outrun the 300XS

I put my own money on a pair of end of era two strokes. 200XS and 150 HO. No regrets. These motors suit my smaller boats.

7. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not specifically mean the EPA 100% killed them, just that the emissions they were imposing made it cost prohibitive for manufacturers to continue pursuing the R&D for them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    I do not see a lot of incentive for Mercury to build a 15" 300R so a few race boats can run them. The racers voted and are choosing to run with the new motor. End of story.
    Not sure it was brought to a vote .. but the rules allow for the porkchop to be run in 2022.

As far as a 15" mid .. Your right, they wouldn't do it "just for the racers" . I mean , look how much they did for the class when it moved from 3 boats with 280's to running the 300xs .... NOTHING .
    If they did come out with a 15 .. it would only be because they got word that a privateer was coming to market with one , and they know how many 15" mids were done for the 3.0/3.2 while they sat on their ****'s .

BTW , since you couldn't answer why Merc wanted $1100+ for $10 worth of O-rings for your three laser type throttle body's ... I went straight to the head of racing with the question ... Best Michael Jackson moon walk I seen in a while ...

EPA KILLED 2 STROKES ....

Dead as a door nail. They are lawyers that were never voted into office . They don't come out and say .. "I demand you stop making those now" They put into law, noise (music to some) mandates. Smokeless operation laws. Gas mileage, hydrocarbon laws that they know are all unrealistic .. Oooppss , that model failed , try again.
    Did any of you vote for any of those laws ... I know I didn't .

Notice I asked ... If the porkchops become the dominant combo in 2022 , will the OPA open up the SS/S class to run unrestricted 3.0/3.2L 2 strokes ... crickets

End of story ..... Ppppffftttt , my ***** , it's just begun ..

10. Likes Instigator liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a stock 300xs powerhead vs a stock 300r motor, why would they let them modify 1 and not the other?

And yes the stock class voted and the majority decided to allow the 300r as an option.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said : If the nearly 50% larger displacement porkchop proved to be the dominant combo .. would they allow an unrestricted 3.0/3.2L powerhead .. ???

Intent : To promote parity for the 40% who have not signed on .

I never entered a race I felt I couldn't win. I lost way more than I won , but I knew I had a level playing field when I went thru the gates . How long would you want to be cannon fodder .. ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And its called "Super Stock". Changing just the can for a shorty , fall's way below the general rules packages from where they borrowed the nomenclature.

Going by the wording of their "general" rules , the can shouldn't be legal . So what's so "super" about the class ... ???

http://www.oparacing.org/rules

Digging deeper into the rulebook .. you can cut the muffler off to fit inside the 15" can ..

Then it appears that they amended the rules to allow a tuner ..

However they have as of yet .. to produce a printed rules package for 2022 and post it on their site ..

https://files.secure.website/wscfus/...-book-2021.pdf

2. Engine specs (Twin Engines)• Approved Engine: Mercury 300xs, 2006-current, 300 hp, 3.2L (193 CID) with Sportmaster lower unit.• Cowlings: May be a light weight facsimile of the production cowling. Manufacturers decals must be on cowling.• Powerhead: Must remain stock as produced by the manufacturer. The year must be declared prior to the race.• Balancing and Blueprinting is not allowed. Balancing and Blueprinting shall be defined as (but not limited to) “cleaning -up”, “bringing to spec”, removing or adding any metal or any other material to balance any reciprocating parts. Media blasting and bead blasting not allowed.• Compression ratio: May not be altered • ECU boxes: May not be modified or reprogrammed. Maximum RPM allowed 6400. Mercurycertified ECU boxes will be issued Prerace and collected Postrace.• Flywheels: No modifications or lightening is allowed. • Reeds: Any reeds are allowed. Stock reed cages must be used. • Lower unit: Must remain stock as produced by the manufacturer. Any OEM gear ratio is allowed. Blueprinting and Trueing are not allowed. Media blasting and bead blasting not allowed.3. Engine modifications: The center section/mid section may be converted to the Mad EFI 15” offshore (3L top to 3L bottom). The exhaust system must remain stock as produced by the manufacturer however the “Muffler” must be cut off to fit inside 15” center section.• Updating of equipment: Allowed• Backdating of equipment: Not Allowed • After Market Tuner: Allowed• Engine modifications: The center section/mid section may be converted to the Mad EFI 15” offshore (3L top to 3L bottom). The exhaust system must remain stock as produced by the manufacturer however the “Muffler” must be cut off to fit inside 15” center section. • Updating of equipment: Allowed • Backdating of equipment: Not Allowed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet they would sell a LOT more 15'' than these

We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake rat Skater View Post
    It's a stock 300xs powerhead vs a stock 300r motor, why would they let them modify 1 and not the other?
    After thinking about it a spell , your right . Stock for stock is the best way to go.

However ...

The smaller displacement motors should get a pretty substantial weight break. After all the porky's have a 2800cc advantage. (the 3.2's are really 3180cc so its a bit more) Almost another ............ third motor back there ..

I was a bit let down to see the 280's written out of the rule book. I was under the impression that most just moved away from them on their own ..

I do hope that if Scott Porta chooses to race or bring his 2.5 mid / 3.2 adapter / flanged cowl to market , there will be a provision written in the rules to allow it. The Shadow Pirate ran a set for a while .. so I got to see the parts up close and personal ... Typical of the Professor .. beautiful , well thought out jewelry.

Formerly Central WI/LOTO Currently PHX AZ
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    After thinking about it a spell , your right . Stock for stock is the best way to go.

However ...

The smaller displacement motors should get a pretty substantial weight break. After all the porky's have a 2800cc advantage. (the 3.2's are really 3180cc so its a bit more) Almost another ............ third motor back there ..
    Last I checked, the 3.2L 300XS is 3.2L/rev. The 4.57L 300R is 2.285/rev, 4.57L for two revs to complete the combustion cycle for all 8 of its cylinders. It’s an odd work schedule, working every other day. This allows them to properly rest for the next scheduled work day, resulting in a longer lasting life…and because they actually have time to do their job efficiently, doing more work with less pay (for the sake of our conversation, let’s call this pay…fuel)

So why would you want to weight penalize the “porky”? Isn’t it heavy enough for you? Isn’t it already at a disadvantage, being a 4-stroke, being “heavy”, and only running on 4 cylinders every rev? If they make the same propshaft HP, then physics should already have this covered, correct? It’s important to remember that for the 300XS, for every minute at 6400 RPM, there’s 38,400 explosions pushing the crank, turning the prop, and on the 300R at the same exact 6400 RPM, there’s 25,600 explosions doing the same amount of work…let that sink in for a minute…

I don’t know why it’s a big deal to put two 300HP engines, from the same manufacturer, in the same class. Realize both of the powerheads were developed by the same company (but probably two different eras). Where are the other manufacturers of 300 HP engines? Certainly OMC/BRP would have been invited to the party over the years, but I’m guessing the racers chose otherwise. The same could be said for Yamaha and Suzuki. None of the manufacturers other than Merc offered a surfacing case, so clearly the other manufacturers weren’t considering our needs.

At least there is a PRODUCTION alternative to be able to race, and the racers have chosen to allow it. Would I prefer a 15”? Of course! And I’m not going to defend pricing or availability of parts. This is a problem in every facet of life today, unfortunately.
    Last edited by HydroSkreamin; 10-17-2021 at 09:51 AM.
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

17. Likes Speed Jr. liked this post
    Formerly Central WI/LOTO Currently PHX AZ
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I do hope that if Scott Porta chooses to race or bring his 2.5 mid / 3.2 adapter / flanged cowl to market , there will be a provision written in the rules to allow it. The Shadow Pirate ran a set for a while .. so I got to see the parts up close and personal ... Typical of the Professor .. beautiful , well thought out jewelry.
    You are absolutely correct, Scott Porta does not do anything half-@ssed. It looks sharp (shrimp?)
    A problem is only a problem when viewed as a problem...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have said it a thousand times before. Anyone that doesn't appreciate the fact that we have Mercury's racing division to support our hobby is missing the boat. Not only have they proven to make the best products for us but the fact is that without them, we wouldn't have anything that ran within 30 mph of what a modern day twin cat outboard is doing today. There have been several recent attempts with other product and they have found out just how strong their midsections are not.

My guess is that Scott will end up in a bracket class with his stuff being "too controversial" based on certain people not being able to keep up with his constant change and always feeling at a disadvantage in S class. If you remember back when he spent all of the time and money to develop and produce the exhaust plate that allowed a 3L power head to be utilized with 2.5 parts that most teams already had and it was outlawed (rules read 3L top to 3L bottom). Then his brackets got taken out, as were the tunnel tabs recently, and I am guessing that if his modified cowl and base show an advantage that they too will be added to the outlaw list. It really makes me question why guys don't just go the poker runs and enjoy the "less controversial" group of performance boaters.

Racing is absolutely wonderful for the spectator but all of the work and money that goes into a boat and travel for a half an hour show on Sunday 6 or a 8 times a year makes no sense unless you are in a position of really strong personal wealth or have sponsorship that covers it.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroSkreamin View Post
    Last I checked, the 3.2L 300XS is 3.2L/rev. The 4.57L 300R is 2.285/rev, 4.57L for two revs to complete the combustion cycle for all 8 of its cylinders…
    Lets extrapolate this a step further since the 4-stroke has a clear displacement-per-cycle disadvantage, and say “to make things fair” they should be allowed to run boost. My math says to put the 2.285 l/rev at the same effective displacement as the 3.2 would require roughly 6 psi boost. I think the 450r runs in that neighborhood so if displacement really were the end-all rule then it’s obvious that the 450r should be allowed to compete with the 300xs, but would also obviously need to be given a weight break to even things up even more. What’s fair is fair.

Of course the above is in jest. But while we’re talking tech (finally), I would be remiss if I didn’t point out that the displacement-advantaged 2-strokes suffer from a truncated power stroke because it’s combined with the exhaust stroke. This cuts it off far short and releases valuable energy out the exhaust port and robs from its displacement-per-cycle advantage. In an effort to be fair, we would need to limit the boost of the above 4-stroke. It would take a bit of math to ensure the boost is offset appropriately to account for the % of the power stroke that is at play in each configuration.

Or we can forget the above nonsense and just let them run stock vs stock as the class name implies, and let the cards fall where they may.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast