Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrostream splashwell cons?

inching in on this and need to make a decision very soon. Initially I was certain about deleting the splashwell and then I did some searching and saw a couple mentions of it not being a great thing to do but with no explanation why? So now I’m curious what the cons are if any to deleting the splashwell?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like original looking boats.
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

3. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought of the tilt limitations that alone might be enough to sway me to keeping it. The main con I have with the splashwell is the stupid drain hole in front of the clamp. I've owned four streams now and they all get plugged up in there with floating gack picked up off the water and the splaswell fills up and wont drain unless I get back there with a stick and work out the blockage. Its a pita especially if I have my kids or passengers in the back they get wet from water sloshing. That, and the sleek cool look of the fast back flat back is what I like. I like the AE-21 splashwell delete look.

But the tilt deal, hmmm
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep the original boat, better resale in my opinion is to keep the well. If you are running a 20 inch it really does not matter, keep or delete, as you will be even with the pad on the propshaft and that motor is high and will tilt plenty even with a delete. If running a 15 and you want to tilt the motor up, keep the well as you will need the clearance if you need to tilt the motor high! If you just want it strong and don't care about the rest, delete!

my view which is not worth much, just ask my wife!
    Last edited by rjdubiel; 10-08-2021 at 08:24 AM.
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

6. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I never thought of the tilt limitations that alone might be enough to sway me to keeping it. The main con I have with the splashwell is the stupid drain hole in front of the clamp. I've owned four streams now and they all get plugged up in there with floating gack picked up off the water and the splaswell fills up and wont drain unless I get back there with a stick and work out the blockage. Its a pita especially if I have my kids or passengers in the back they get wet from water sloshing. That, and the sleek cool look of the fast back flat back is what I like. I like the AE-21 splashwell delete look.

But the tilt deal, hmmm
    Water comes up the delete and into the boat much easier than it does having the splash well!
    1973 Viper - sold
    1978 Viking - sold
    1995 XB02

8. Thanks LakeFever thanked for this post
    Likes LakeFever, moatorbotin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HST have no splash well... so the gas tank vents down the side of the boat and on most of them the cables run alongside the boat for at least some distance to keep them from kinking. Once in awhile someone will trim it up enough to crunch the bottom of the cowl on my rear deck... so far no damage from that. Not huge, but not awesome either.

Let's just go ahead and make America great again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good info gents thanks Im going to keep it, saves us some time anyways which is a bonus. More updates to the build coming soon we are pouring the coal on
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already mentioned above, but water over the back and into boat would be more common with out splashwell.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    I've owned four streams now and they all get plugged up in there with floating gack picked up off the water and the splaswell fills up and wont drain unless I get back there with a stick and work out the blockage.
    in 42 years of boating i have never once had this happen. What kind of debris is making it's way into the splashwell and plugging the drain?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s only on streams I’ve had this issue it’s because they have one single hole in the center that drains into the clamp area and the ones I have had are almost sealed there because of the clamp or jack plate I had on at the time interfering with the drain hole. I have a seastar plate for this one which seems more open and this issue will hopefully be moot.

im also thinking to forgo any kind of tube in the drain hole and simply glass and gel it smooth. Any objections to this I could be missing? Seems slick to me
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhhhhhhh, yeah my plates/clamps didn't block any part of the back side of the drain, that makes more sense.

14. Likes LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been a few times coming off plane where I don't pay attention to the water coming over the transom and it will completely fill the splash well. Not a big deal as it just drains out, but that would be a lot of water in the hull if the well wasn't there.

Here's a shot from when I hooked it earlier this summer, some water got in the boat still since I was turning when slowing down, but agin the well was full and draining instantly. That would be a lot of extra water in the boat with a delete and would be bad timing since I was no longer in the seat to kick the bilge pump on. With my auto bilge feature it would get it sooner or later but if it just ran its test and the two minute clock just started thats a long time with that much water instantly in the boat.

My vote goes to keep it if its anything more than a dedicated race boat. I know its a bit more work to save it but I think the functionality is well worth it. I drilled the transom, did the solid resin plug trick, drilled that, and pressed in a brass drain plug tube. I even had to drill a 1/2" hole in the original jack plate to let it drain.

Tony.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap Tony thats scary man! Totally lost bite there and went into a slide. My shorts need a change watching that I can only imagine how you felt that day.

Back on track I appreciate the quick and many replies I will be keeping the splashwell and make sure the drains all good and drill plate of need be. I didnt rig any of my previous streams I ran em as I bought them which is primarily what led me to build my own. If you want something done right....
    Hydrostream dreamin