Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merc 2.5L build

I keep seeing it brought up that there is a lack of motor builds anymore. Well, here is one ive been working on. This block was born as a 200 "EE". I bought the powerhead from another builder who had run a mill through the chest already. After running the motor for a little less than a year #6 either ate a big end bearing and broke the crank or the crank broke and ate a bearing. Same outcome either way. Anyway, because i had just gotten another block back from James P. with some of his magic carved into it that im running now, i decided to take my chances carving on this one. This is the first block ive attempted to modify on my own with no supervision.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210705_154821.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	494111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210706_171246.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	391.7 KB 
ID:	494112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210815_110037.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	410.7 KB 
ID:	494113
    You can see in the pics how scuffed up #6 became when it started chewing on metal. Once i got the block pulled apart i also found water had gotten in below #6. Bad lower cap seal? Probably. For all i know that could have been what took it out but i didnt find a trace of water in #6 so i dont really know for sure. Moving on, after inspecting the hole in question with a bore gage and not being being able feel the scores with my finger, i decided to go for it. The hole was round and appeared to just need a fresh hone to clean up those scuffs that look much worse than they really were. Because i was having such a hard time finding a good crank, i had plenty of time to work on this block. This is what i did.....
    I started by measuring my port roof chamfer height at 1.56 from deck to have a baseline before i put a grinder on it.

Name:	20210706_174152.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	494107
    I didnt want to get too carried away with the port work since this block would be used on my "heavy" bass boat so i left the roof stock and only modified the chamfer. I was taught that the chamfer can be lengthened to trick the motor into scavenging sooner so raised the chamfer to 1.5 and rounded the corners a little better since the factory tends to leave small sharp corners in the exhaust port roof. Then i hit it with a 240 grit flex (ball) hone. I know, i know, the hone looks like ****. I will address this later. But you can see what i did to the chamfer and pretty proud of it for my first attempt.

Name:	20210822_142249.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	405.0 KB 
ID:	494108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210822_142325.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	494109
    I repeated the process on all 6 holes so all my chamfers begin at 1.5 with the actual roof height still stock. Then i started on the chest. Because a mill had already removed quite a bit of material i wanted to finish the job by rounding and smoothing everything. At this point i am 100% confident that i can put this thing together with no issues but my OCD got the best of me and i ordered a Lisle 15000 hone to finish this thing off. Honestly, im a believer in flex hones but if i want to continue to learn and get better with each build i need to start using better tools. There is a huge learning curve when moving from a flex hone to a stone hone in case someone on my level wants to do the same. After a few hours of screwing around i was able to get a decent looking crosshatch using the 280 grit stones and then gave it a quick turn using the 500 grit just to take down the peaks. At this point my OCD was satisfied enough so I began putting it back together.

Name:	20211003_161135.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	412.0 KB 
ID:	494110
    All 6 were 0.015 over and after i was done they are all between 3.517-3.5175. Since the pistons were new when i first bought the block and less than a year old i reused 1 through 5 and put a new slug in 6.These pistons are WSM 1.5mm ring. I put all new steel caged bearings in and new rod bolts. Oh, in the process of tinkering around with this thing i did get my hands on a good crank. I just finished bolting up the halves last night so ill be trying it out soon. im pretty excited to try it out to see if my labor pays off. Ill update the thread when i get it bolted up to let you guys know if i have good motor or a good learning experience.
    Last edited by Smalltownbassin; 10-05-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    "The character of a man can be easily judged by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"

2. Thanks aj06bolt12r thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work on your EE block. I just assembled my first EE and it needed 1 bore and 5 hones with new rings and a piston. I kept this one stock and only match the exhaust dump to my 1 piece plate. With 5 pedal front half on WH46's with 120 compression on 38cc heads, it ran 93 and 7200 with a worked 28 chopper on my light Baker roundy round hull and to my surprise has stayed together.

Are you going to run FE.
    Are you going to stuff the oil injection cavity area.
    Don't know what 1.56 exhaust heights will do. I have measured a PM and this one was 1.612.
    Your block already had a significant amount of material removed from the exhaust chest.
    It will be interesting to see how your port heights and exhaust work will perform on your rig.
    What type of compression are you going to run

James is sending us his version of a PM with seven pedal and stock ECU so we can plug and play at this years Parker Enduro.
    Thanks for sharing your build.

4. Likes Smalltownbassin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man! Ill be running carbs on this one too. 5 petal front and 46's also. I didnt stuff the gear space. Ive never done it before so id like to see it done before i take a stab at it. James did do it on the block he worked for me and ill tell you what, everything he touches winds up looking like a piece of jewelry so trying to do these things myself after seeing his work makes feel like im ruining it hahaha! This is the best way to learn though. I also left my dumps EE sized to try to salvage some low end so im not real sure how the porting is going to react to that restriction. We will see i guess. Ill put some 34cc's on it too since the ports are so high with hopes of 140ish lbs. The hone job will either make or break that idea though. I had a hard time adjusting from a flex hone to a stone hone so this really is one heck of a learning experience for me. James gave me some good guidance but its going to take a couple blocks to get in the groove of it. Its going on a Triton TR-186 thats around 1300lbs naked. The motor James cut for me is more aggressive than this one and it runs great. I actually just finished break in so i can stretch it out now but so far it really wakes up at 4 to 5k and is still pulling hard at 6k. I havent run it harder than that yet but will next time out. This pic is the FF he did for me that im talking about. He may not have gutted the chest like the one i did but his port height is higher. It was shame to put it together it looks so good lol!

Name:	20210717_142241.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	494178
    "The character of a man can be easily judged by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"

6. Likes scott reierson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to edit the original post because i was mistaken about the port roof. The pic is the chamfer height at 1.56 which i then raised to 1.5. The roofs are still stock height. I thought i had taken a pic of that and mistook it for the chamfer pic. Sorry guys, ive slept a few times since then. If i remember right the roofs are 1.64 in the EE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running stock cooling systems on your built fishing motors.

The reason I asked is we have cold seized several steel sleeved motors running a 1 piece plate by not make the to correct modifications to the block to slow down the water and keep the correct pressure (keeping the block full of water).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using a 2 PC plate with stock cooling.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has the block ever been decked!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoker boy View Post
    Has the block ever been decked!
    Not the one in this build. The other one was originally an o-ring motor so james had to trim the fat on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you measuring the top of the port from the deck?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoker boy View Post
    Are you measuring the top of the port from the deck?
    Yes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any work on the rod slots?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think I have a pic hold on. Previous builder cut them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	20211004_162940.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	414.4 KB 
ID:	494400

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only pic I have you can see the tool marks where he blended the casting into the transfer window.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve only worked on 260s and drag motors I’ve never seen an oiler crank.
    Last edited by Stoker boy; 10-08-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast