Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMC's Push Button Shift Lives Again (Sorta?)

I barely remember as a kid seeing push button shift on Plymouth dashboards many years ago. Didn't really think about the concept again until OMC unveiled push button shift on their bigger models (3 cyl 55 hp and up). If I remember correctly, the wiring ran down into the gearcase to a solenoid that activated the clutch dog. I also remember that over time, the reliability of these push button shifts went downhill due to the solenoid being located below the waterline (humidity, temperature cycles, and corrosion). Mercury has revived push button shift in their V6 and V8 models............sort of? Mechanical models still have the F-N-R shift cable but the cable activates a F-N-R switch rather than rotating a crank and torque rod down to the gearcase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with the OMC push button shift was it failed in forward gear. It required the prop shaft to rotate the hydraulic pump to move the clutch dog to neutral. Thus if the unit failed and you started the motor you would be in forward unknowingly. It was thought to be a safety feature so it it failed away from shore you could get back; however, many a boat ended up on the trunk of cars because of it.
    Last edited by Rotary John; 09-24-2021 at 12:44 PM.

3. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Lark 40 fail and stick in reverse. Backed it several miles to get home. 13yrs old. No big deal, just cut the skiing short. Kids today would melt down!
    18 Talon/2.4 carb SOLD
    26 Deck Boat/250 Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI

The Evinrude G2 also used electric shift.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99fxst99 View Post
    We had a Lark 40 fail and stick in reverse. Backed it several miles to get home. 13yrs old. No big deal, just cut the skiing short. Kids today would melt down!
    The 40 had a different system, similar to the stern drive.
    Thru prop was a different system with fail to fwd on elec or oil pump issue.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man i remember banging on the buttons coming into the dock, a litte faster than normal(not really fast just closer) cause i was in a rush didnt know it had failed banging until i realized just shut it off..was young and along time ago..
    Oh yea another story with the same motor and problem.
    My uncle decided to rev it up in neutral to...clear it out...
    He leans over and screams over the motor dont worry these are made to rev at the exact moment it drops into foward we went from standing to almost out the back of the boat, as we're stumbling to get back up front to shut it off... Damn thing never totally sh the bed just every once in awhile would drop into forward....thats when i just got in the habit of starting in gear...

Other than that that 85hp ran great and pushed that 18' galstron pretty damn good stripped out almost 60 was best guess long before gps etc.. it did shock a bunch if people. Actually that was the first boat i totally redid was stiff as hell.
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

8. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We couldn't get 18's a whole lot over 45 with 115's and 125's, you must have had an extra good rig

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was stripped bare everything came out then rebuilt floor transom etc. As stiff as hell.... except the deck which was a bit to light nobody could really walk on it except me only because i knew where to walk. it would flap a bit when moving....did eventually glass in a carpet roll cut in half to stiffen it up.. to many times yelling dont step up there.
    Then lightest(cheapest) seats etc no back to back..
    And only needed a 6 gal tank.. and that lasted most of the day ...unless we were running around all day then 2- 6 gal tanks ..actually never ran out ..crap now 6 gals wont get me far... even idling let alone running hard maybe 15 minutes..lol
    I ran along the shore w friend driving his car and he said was doing 55+ almost 60...really wish i could remember what prop was on it but was long ago im lucky i remember the boat..
    I can remember going in and buying the prop too because it was the first new one i bought and thinking this better be the right damn one the first time cant afford to buy another..
    I did have alot of fun with that boat too...
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eighty Fives

Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    Oh man i remember banging on the buttons coming into the dock, a litte faster than normal(not really fast just closer) cause i was in a rush didnt know it had failed banging until i realized just shut it off..was young and along time ago..
    Oh yea another story with the same motor and problem.
    My uncle decided to rev it up in neutral to...clear it out...
    He leans over and screams over the motor dont worry these are made to rev at the exact moment it drops into foward we went from standing to almost out the back of the boat, as we're stumbling to get back up front to shut it off... Damn thing never totally sh the bed just every once in awhile would drop into forward....thats when i just got in the habit of starting in gear...

Other than that, the 85hp ran great and pushed that 18' galstron pretty damn good stripped out almost 60 was best guess long before gps etc.. it did shock a bunch if people. Actually that was the first boat i totally redid was stiff as hell.
    OMC's eighty fives were overall good engines for their time. I can't recall ever seeing them run against Mercs in Sport G though? Probably didn't help that they were not available in short shaft like the Mercs were? Only thing that spooked me about the 85s wasn't the goofy shift problem but after making hard ski runs or going somewhere in general was the 85's ability to start after a thermal heat soak after being turned off (CDI packs). We always seemed to be used to the fact of letting the thing cool down a bit.........even pulling the cowl off for a few minutes. Absolutely hated OMC's CDI designs!

12. Likes Mark75H liked this post