Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I/O Help please

I'm thinking of switching from outboard to inboard with a mercruiser outdrive....my question is ...and I have looked all over I must be using wrong keywords....how do you know how high to cut the hole ??? How far up from bottom do you put your outdrive ....and why ? I did see a post about moving it up in some inboard boats to go faster
    Let me know anything I'll probably be using a alpha or brovo with a v6 or maybe a 5.7
    Thanks guys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out drive height

Quote Originally Posted by Mercman80 View Post
    I'm thinking of switching from outboard to inboard with a mercruiser outdrive....my question is ...and I have looked all over I must be using wrong keywords....how do you know how high to cut the hole ??? How far up from bottom do you put your outdrive ....and why ? I did see a post about moving it up in some inboard boats to go faster
    Let me know anything I'll probably be using a alpha or brovo with a v6 or maybe a 5.7
    Thanks guys
    Hey I'm new hear and definitely no expert, but I'm thinking you would probably have to set your motor on the mounts and mock up where the transom assembly is on you transom. I believe that will get you in the ballpark. And depending on your hull design and your power you should be fine.. that's my opinion but I'm sure there is someone else here that knows a better way. I have a baja with a big block

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drives assemblies do come with a pattern and measurements for different transom angles. These measurements give you position to cut the hole based on two things, one is transom angle and other is height you want the drive to be. For optimal drive height you would need to contact the boat builder to see what they have installed at for the engine package you choose. Just like an outboard each package likes something different, unlike an outboard not easy to change and free wheeling a sterndrive getting on plane is hard on the engines so most sterndrives tend to run lower than an outboards. Also remember they are heavier which can also effect height.

5. Likes David liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, the height on the transom is called the “X dimension”. Search that term and read for days. Welcome to scream and fly, fellows
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!