Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1990 19ft bullet with A 2003 150 Yamaha vmax

I just purchased an extremely nice 1990 19ft bullet with a 2003 Yamaha 150 vmax and a 25 pitch prop. I took it out last night to check it out and have some mixed emotions with what I found. First off the motor ran great but I could only get 5100 rpms out of it no matter if I trimmed it up to the sky or ran it level, motor was running fine just seemed to hit a wall at 5100. Second the boat shine walked like nothing I’ve ran into before I’ve driven a lot of fast boats even an Allison over 100 mph but never had one I couldn’t correct on the pad. This thing would start walking and I’d have to twitch it to the right to set it then it would start again, I don’t know if it just doesn’t have enough power to hold it up or what? I was also hoping for more speed it only ran 63 mph and it was a hand full at that speed which surprised me because that’s a lot slower than my other boat that have run well over 70 and 80 mph which makes me think maybe the motor isn’t strong enough to set the boat. Any help would be appreciated with this it’s my first bullet and first Yamaha motor so I’m kinda thrown off. It’s this normal for these boats? Is the motor to weak, are there parts to make more power and rpms? I’d really like the boat to run more like 75 mph and drive better. The old man (84 yrs old) I bought the boat from had 200 lbs of lead weight in the bow of the boat that I took out I guess he didn’t like death wobble either, but I bought the bullet because it was light and supposedly fast. He bought the boat new and said he had never had the boat over 50-55 but knew there was a lot left in it he just wasn’t comfortable driving it that fast.
    Last edited by brenfroe; 09-15-2021 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IM no expert but 75 is asking a lot for a 150. ide try a lower pitch and raise the motor up some. check your steering.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    IM no expert but 75 is asking a lot for a 150. ide try a lower pitch and raise the motor up some. check your steering.
    oh I agree with you on a stock 150 going 75 would be a stretch. I was wanting to know if anyone know were to find parts to build up a 150 Yamaha or should I sell it and go back to what I know which is Mercury’s. And if I did can this boat be made to ride good with without the craziness or is this trait of this boat and I need to just sell it all and start over. I’d hate to do that because I bought it because of how well the boat has been kept, it basically looks like a new boat but if it’s not going to do what I want then I’ll just pass it on. Thank you for the response

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 91 bullet with stock 225 promax with either a coned cle or cut sportmaster lower runs low 80s. Im no expert either, but if your motor is buried, mid 60s may be all it will do. Do you have a low water pickup? If so, raise the engine until you start to lose water pressure. You may be able to raise the motor some without a low water pickup. Just make sure you keep an eye on water pressure. Mine seems to get on the pad around 60, so 63 may be sort of on the edge of lifting and not. Mine is the only pad vee I've driven and I dont have a ton of seat time. Its not easy to balance. Sometimes I can run it for a few miles without setting it down, sometimes not. I freely admit I'm not a great pad v driver though.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If 60-63 is where your getting on the pad then that may be what I’m feeling, the boat getting in the pad then falling off. I know it was extremely hard to control. I’ll raise the motor a little at a time next time I take it out. I’m also thinking about moving the trolling motor battery to the left front of the boat. I guy I bought it from had 200 lbs of lead wheel weights in the front of the boat in bags that I took out. He said he never had the boat over 50 because he couldn’t drive it after that and the weight up front calmed it down. I’d rather move the weight thats there than add weight

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of prop are you running? 3 blade, thru or over hub?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bullet has no weight in front and really no way to put much up there. The center console design doesn't really have access to the bow under the deck unless you're the size of a 5 year old. All 3 batteries and fuel tank in the very back. I'm running a trophy 4 blade 26 pitch. I've run a mazco re4 28 also. Boat used to have a mod 225 promax that would pull the 28 pretty good but the stock motor struggles with the 28.

To brenfoe, I really think you need a low water pick up which gets half the gear case out of the water when running. The reduction in drag is worth a lot of horsepower. Others may think differently. I've read folks say a sportmaster is slower until 80mph plus. I don't buy that when compared to a gear case that is fully submerged. Any surfacing case is half out of the water once running 40 or so and the reduction in drag is huge compared to a fully submerged case. IMHO anyhow.

I don't have any problem getting on the pad, just balancing for a long period of time. I hope to run the boat more this Fall and get more practice. I don't fish much when it's 90 degrees out.
    STV Procomp with 280
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive owned several bullets in the last 25 years they are my favorite boat ive owned 3 Allison's and STV as well as a few Lasers ill take the Bullets over all the rest just for easy to drive rigs!!! i bought the one ive kept since new in 95 and had 29 different motors on it from 200 to 300x everything in between except a 300 drag it handled great with everything except the 300x good at W.O.T. but the dropping off the pad was miserable the back wash was too much if you did not do it right , I rebuilt motors for a very long time which is one reason i had so many motors on the boat i broke them in on my own rig after having not so good luck with customers breaking rules for breakin period thats how i put it to sleep , i finally quit that and got a separate boat to doany testing or breaking in . i personally never experienced anything your saying you are dealing with but the advice of raising the motor is most likely the problem. my bullet new was a 225pmax with a Torqmaster which is unconed case it ran 83 mph right out of the wrapper this motor was set as high as possible until like mentioned it lost water pressure it was a great hole shot and good handling at wot i doubt you will ever see 75 with a 150 Yammy most 200 efi i ran on the bullet were 78-80 at 6300 rpm and a coned gearcase. Good luck with the set it there are some great advice sources on this forum they will help you out

9. Likes Baker343 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIRCHNER View Post
    what kind of prop are you running? 3 blade, thru or over hub?

Im running a 25 3 blade through the hub

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the low water pick up I was seeing what I could get out of it while the weather is nice then send the lower to bobs when it gets cold or if I have a week end I know I’ll be racing so I’d be down for a couple weeks. I have plenty of room under the front deck of mine since the console is on the right. I moved one of my trolling batteries to the front tonight and the cranking battery to the left where the trolling battery was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd like to have a little weight up front. Its fine on smooth water, but when it gets a little rough, it bounces pretty bad even all the way trimmed in. Since your side console, I bet it helps to get weight more balanced side to side. When I've run mine with 2 people, I've added some weight under the seat opposite side from passenger and it helped. It was pretty much impossible to balance with me in center and a passenger to the right.
    STV Procomp with 280
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree I don’t think a stock 150 will run over 70. I was looking at a kit from hydro tech that would put the motor Just over 200 hp. The kit is $1700 so I’m kind of torn on doing that or selling this motor and just buying a 200. At the moment I’m just wanting to see what I can get it to run and handle. I really don’t understand the motor not wanting to go over 5100. I’m thinking that the motor isn’t making enough power or turning enough rpms to get the boat steady on the pad. I’m having to set the boat to the right which seems odd to me because every boat I’ve had in the pass I’ve had to set to the left. Either way when I do set it on the pad it will only stay or stop wobbling for maybe 2 seconds then it’s back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that helps thank you. Since you’ve seen that, that means I need to keep trying to move or add weight to the right

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one other thing the un coned torqmaster came from mother merc with only 4 water inlet holes on the sides instead of the 8 one each side on the consumer case i have successfully plugged 4 one each side with a 5/16 allen head set screw many times and stainless is better it does not rust no tapping is required with this size plug just some force applied inward as you twist it will start the threads on its own just lock tite them in you can also hide the plugged hole with some filler and sand um smooth its looks better PS try a 23 tempest you will love it a40 if you can find one, 25 is in my opinion too much wheel