Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the merc 450s having any shaft breakage issues? What’s merc getting for a pair

Was wondering if the merc 450s are having any issues. Want to buy a pair for my 32 manta cc. Thanks in advance for any info. Rm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...i'd just go with all the responses you got over on offshoreonly. the guys that use them offshore, like you would/do...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...i'd just go with all the responses you got over on offshoreonly. the guys that use them offshore, like you would/do...
    oso is dying a slow death. The boards are dead af. All the funny engaging people have moved on it seems. But is there some underlying hostility there bruh? I’ve had all types of boats so don’t he hating.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...completely different water conditions over here & a LOT fewer owners of that engine. i am the most experienced with open ocean use, more than anything. they know better on oso. take it anyway you want...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...ever since steve shuble sold oso, along with a number of other boating world influences, yes, oso has changed...and will continue to change... very familiar with oso as well, as i was part of it, since its inception. loooong before you became an oso member & moved to columbia & were messing around with cars stateside in the northeast...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 09-10-2021 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratman67 View Post
    oso is dying a slow death. The boards are dead af. All the funny engaging people have moved on it seems. But is there some underlying hostility there bruh? I’ve had all types of boats so don’t he hating.
    like I said. O replies so can’t beat a dead horse any feedback is better than none lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...ever since steve shuble sold oso, along with a number of other boating world influences, yes, oso has changed...and will continue to change...
    and…. Changed for the worse lol.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and what about the hull truth(tht)? did you get your answer(s) over there? the bottom line is, they are outboards, they all eventually have issues. no escaping this. your not in the states, you have an island that you ferry back & forth, in extreme conditions, thats why everyone buys & keeps multiple spares on hand that live in places like you do...

9. Likes CUDA liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and what about the hull truth(tht)? did you get your answer(s) over there? the bottom line is, they are outboards, they all eventually have issues. no escaping this. your not in the states, you have an island that you ferry back & forth, in extreme conditions, thats why everyone buys & keeps multiple spares on hand that live in places like you do...
    never really used the hull truth. Didn’t think there were many performance boaters there. Well the 300Rs were breaking prop shafts until merc changed the specs on the shafts. Just wondering if the 450s are having those types of issues as getting things repaired under warranty is almost Impossible in central and South American countries. They go to great lengths to weasel out of warranty work. Not cool but it is what it is

zero on extreme conditions. They close the port when waves get much over 2’ as the boats here aren’t built for rough water and no one has spare engines sitting around other than take offs with over 2k hours for spare parts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In drag racing we never have Issues with the small shafts, because we just get on it once, offshore is so much more stress constant loading and unloading, like he said offshore is night and day difference.
    I don't know the answer to fixing the shaft problems after all this time you think Merc would have come up with THE ANSWER?
    Would think It would be cheaper to find a metal that could handle the strain VS warranty claims and bad blood.
    We have invented the world; WE see

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CUDA View Post
    In drag racing we never have Issues with the small shafts, because we just get on it once, offshore is so much more stress constant loading and unloading, like he said offshore is night and day difference.
    I don't know the answer to fixing the shaft problems after all this time you think Merc would have come up with THE ANSWER?
    Would think It would be cheaper to find a metal that could handle the strain VS warranty claims and bad blood.
    i get it on the water conditions but i had almost zero response to my question on oso so figured I’d try here. Sure I know a lot of guys here run inland and not offshore but being enthusiast they may have friends that do or even work for mercury and have some good feedback.

sure on making things not break from the git go. A guy I was talking to made a good point that shafts were breaking as the info made it’s way to the board room to vote to fix the problem. It takes a bit of time. The 450s have been out for a while so was hoping to hear if there are problems before I buy. Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thread I started in oso finally got some traction. Pretty good info there now. Guess oso has more life in the weekends.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I have a 450R and 80 hours on it. No issues. Insane torque. A total different animal than 400R, which I ran betweeen 2017 until May this year.

Cheeers, Toffen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Almost all of the shaft failures were caused from excessive cavitation getting on plane. The 450s have been upgraded to 1 piece prop shafts and thru hub propellers have greatly reduced this issue. I have spent many hours running 300Rs and 450s as i currently have boats with both motors and not experienced a single warranty claim. The guys running outboards on big boats (36 feet and up) are very hard on them because of the water conditions and speeds that they are able to run in. Everything has its breaking point but you have never seen the percentages of outboard power completing long distance poker runs as we are today with the new 4.6 platform. The 450s are an incredible clamp on.

Joe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    80 hours already! You are a role model

Quote Originally Posted by Toffen View Post
    Hi!

I have a 450R and 80 hours on it. No issues. Insane torque. A total different animal than 400R, which I ran betweeen 2017 until May this year.

Cheeers, Toffen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast