Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda BF150 Factory Recall??

Some years ago (2006) BF150's were recalled for a oil passage defect that would happen at 100 hours of operation. Dealers were paid to do a factory authorized long block swap............with all labor and parts picked up by Honda. Anybody ever heard of this? How many engines were affected?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Those who bought the first Honda 150's were some seriously disappointed folks. Don't know how many engines were affected. Not only that but the first 130's had a water jacket defect in the block that would show up usually within the first 10 hrs. Have to remember that many of the Honda outboards are converted auto/other engines that they built for years. Some of them did not like being turned vertical. The 40 and 50 were durable engines but had two persistent problems. The motors would 'make' oil from temperature problems and the carburetor jet tubes would crack.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda Auto Adaptations

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Yep. Those who bought the first Honda 150's were some seriously disappointed folks. Don't know how many engines were affected. Not only that but the first 130's had a water jacket defect in the block that would show up usually within the first 10 hrs. Have to remember that many of the Honda outboards are converted auto/other engines that they built for years. Some of them did not like being turned vertical. The 40 and 50 were durable engines but had two persistent problems. The motors would 'make' oil from temperature problems and the carburetor jet tubes would crack.
    Yep! I got next to nothing for a 15 yr old BF150 with SIXTEEN hrs on the meter on a buy back sale from a dealer (not consignment). My serial number was MIA on a full up Honda recall in 2008. He had a couple of 115s and 150s taken apart in the shop and showed me the huge end-play in the cranks. The vertical repositioning of an engine originally designed to run horizontally coupled together with either a clutch or torque converter was doomed from the start. Gravity stacks the wear load on the bottom thrust washer and they wear down to a point where they fall out and oil circulation is cut down on the lower main bearings. Probably didn't help the gravity load situation by re using the flywheel and starter from car applications either. Outboard guys call the flywheel a "dampener". This concept runs contrary to all other outboard manufacturers who have the flywheel at the top? Honda's fix was a thrust washer shaped like a spring washer (curved contact profile). Honda did long block swaps for 1000s at regional distributors. My dealer alone had done about a half dozen. Honda is still a good choice for kicker motors but I wouldn't touch anything above 60 hp, re-designed or not. By the way, these VTEC Acura motors have been problematic with the car guys too.........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats a Honda? I have a Honda lawn mower......

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver Tale

Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    Whats a Honda? I have a Honda lawn mower......
    You're gonna love this...............the same silver paint color used on your mower deck is the same shade of silver used on their line of outboards....................