User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    32 Target Cat / Triple 300s

    Hi all,
    I bought this 32 Target with triple 300s. The motors are all at the same height, all with the same midsections and the center motor has this plate that shoots water so hard against the outside motors its damaging the cowlings. It creates so much drag the boat can basically only be driven at 70+ comfortably. In my experience, the center motor should be much higher on these boats or the mid should be shorter on the center motor. Between 70-110+ the boat runs great, but I wouldn't mind cruising every now and again. I know these aren't "cruising boats" but the drag this thing causes can damn near give you whip lash.

    We have a shorter mid sitting around, so if it's as easy as changing the mid and taking the plate off it's a simple fix. But I would appreciate any advice that you guys may have.
    I am planning on putting twin 400s or 450s on this over the winter so I would like to figure something out until then.

    I have included some pics for reference.






    Last edited by Frenchy83; 08-04-2021 at 01:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    houston,tx
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    38
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boat looks to have a wedge built into the hull
    that wedge is there to divert the water away from the midsection on the center motor
    so take that plate off,,,,,as u said it is doing more harm than anything
    then jack the center motor 2" higher if its same height as rest
    go out and ck ride at slower speeds and keep an eye on water pressure on that motor
    bring up speed to 70-75 window as thats where most cats air out the tunnel
    if wp good there take it to 100+ and see if still good wp
    just want to keep raising @ little incraments keeping wp consistant
    center motor will never run consistant splitshaft like a motor behind a sponsom
    ck water pressure at all times if falls below normal pressure too high ,,,,
    if fluxuates at high speed getting close but still too high as gets and looses water to pu,,,drop motor down a tad
    5" shorter mid is too much unless u want to lowere it way down and take chance of swamping powerhead when come off plane
    Last edited by johnmiffco; 08-13-2021 at 10:32 AM.

  3. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmiffco View Post
    boat looks to have a wedge built into the hull
    that wedge is there to divert the water away from the midsection on the center motor
    so take that plate off,,,,,as u said it is doing more harm than anything
    then jack the center motor 1-2" higher if its same height as rest
    go out and ck ride at slower speeds and keep an eye on water pressure on that motor
    bring up speed to 70-75 window as thats where most cats air out the tunnel
    if wp good there take it to 100+ and see if still good wp
    center motor will never run consistant splitshaft like a motor behind a sponsom
    ck water pressure at all times if falls below normal pressure too high ,,,,
    if fluxuates at high speed getting close but still too high as gets and looses water to pu
    5" shorter mid is too much unless u want to lowere it way down and take chance of swamping powerhead when come off plane
    John,
    You are correct, there is a wedge built into the hull. I just have no clue why they would put that plate there.

    I will try to remove it and see if I have any issues.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    houston,tx
    Posts
    754
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    38
    Likes (Given)
    68
    Likes (Received)
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool
    the built in wedge is for diverting water from mid on take off/planing and slower speeds till tunnel lifts out of water
    most cats lift on top approx 70mph
    so that plate is some1s afterthought dont see builder would do that after adding wedge to mold

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmiffco View Post
    cool
    the built in wedge is for diverting water from mid on take off/planing and slower speeds till tunnel lifts out of water
    most cats lift on top approx 70mph
    so that plate is some1s afterthought dont see builder would do that after adding wedge to mold
    Im going to take it off and give it a shot tomorrow.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to raise the center motor at least 2.5 inches. Way too deep. I have owned 4 triple O/B cats.

  8. Likes Glyn mathews liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somebody added a that goofy plate on the jack plate I can only assume to compensate for the center motor being buried. Take it off as it can do nothing but bad things. You have a center pod on the hull to help protect the center lower unit. Lift the motor a minimum of 2.5" Just watch the water pressure on the engine after you raise it to make sure you did not go to high. That boat will react very well raising the center.
    I am looking at the pictures a little closer and even your outside motors look a little low. Those should be 1.25-1.5 above the bottom. Setup on o/b's is so critical to making the boat run fast and safely. Too low can cause a lot of bad things to happen.
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 08-07-2021 at 11:37 AM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Somebody added a that goofy plate on the jack plate I can only assume to compensate for the center motor being buried. Take it off as it can do nothing but bad things. You have a center pod on the hull to help protect the center lower unit. Lift the motor a minimum of 2.5" Just watch the water pressure on the engine after you raise it to make sure you did not go to high. That boat will react very well raising the center.
    I am looking at the pictures a little closer and even your outside motors look a little low. Those should be 1.25-1.5 above the bottom. Setup on o/b's is so critical to making the boat run fast and safely. Too low can cause a lot of bad things to happen.
    just what I needed Brad. Thanks a lot.
    im going to run a level down the sponson and see where I’m at for height

    Last edited by Frenchy83; 08-11-2021 at 09:58 PM.

  11. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to move the tie bars on the center motor. The bushing can go above the bars and or the bar can be below the mounting plate. I try to keep the bars level. When you move the engine height double check the toe in. I always run zero toe. Keep them dead straight. Call me with any questions. I will PM you my number.

    I have also added hull water pickup on two of my triples. This way no worries about water pressure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210813_150629[44710].jpg   20201002_170611.jpg  
    Last edited by Brad Zastrow; 08-13-2021 at 03:14 PM.

  13. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Somebody added a that goofy plate on the jack plate I can only assume to compensate for the center motor being buried. Take it off as it can do nothing but bad things. You have a center pod on the hull to help protect the center lower unit. Lift the motor a minimum of 2.5" Just watch the water pressure on the engine after you raise it to make sure you did not go to high. That boat will react very well raising the center.
    I am looking at the pictures a little closer and even your outside motors look a little low. Those should be 1.25-1.5 above the bottom. Setup on o/b's is so critical to making the boat run fast and safely. Too low can cause a lot of bad things to happen.
    I removed the plate and it made the splashing 10x worse. I need 400s haha

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes no sense. Your setup is the same as my last three triple cats. Did you raise the center motor? You are way too low in the pics. From the look the jack plate is not dragging in the water which can cause a spray. One boat I installed a flat plate on the bottom of the jackplate as it would scoop water coming off plane.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Posts
    46
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    That makes no sense. Your setup is the same as my last three triple cats. Did you raise the center motor? You are way too low in the pics. From the look the jack plate is not dragging in the water which can cause a spray. One boat I installed a flat plate on the bottom of the jackplate as it would scoop water coming off plane.
    Brad,
    No I did not raise the center motor as I don't want to get into drilling new holes in the transom when I will just be replacing the motors soon anyways.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would be surprised the performance gain not dragging the middle engine. Lot cheaper drilling holes.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indian Lake Ohio
    Posts
    252
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
    Don't forget to move the tie bars on the center motor. The bushing can go above the bars and or the bar can be below the mounting plate. I try to keep the bars level. When you move the engine height double check the toe in. I always run zero toe. Keep them dead straight. Call me with any questions. I will PM you my number.

    I have also added hull water pickup on two of my triples. This way no worries about water pressure.

    So how do the two strokes do with the 5 blade cleavers? Quiet a bit more speed over 3 blade cleavers and bravos? Thanks!

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    47
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    311
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every hull is different. For me the five blades work best on a larger boat. Most smaller cats runs best speeds with 3 blade Merc labs or 4 blade Dewalds.

Similar Threads

  1. Twin 250 or 300s
    By mackey147 in forum Engines Wanted
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2021, 04:31 PM
  2. Target RPM?
    By 2.5-21 in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM
  3. Triple 300X vs triple 280's on a Talon cat
    By Brad Zastrow in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 11:12 AM
  4. 15" 300s Almost There!!!
    By Shaun Torrente in forum General Boating Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM
  5. Yamaha 300s????
    By SCT in forum Props, Setup, and Rigging
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 09:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Frank Mole Transport