Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kellytheaker View Post
    I understand your frustration - I have seen this thread before I believe - and the negative it leaves is strong .
    Sounds like he - Spinelli - was trying hard to assist you in the first 6 months by trading props back and forth and then a blade slung off and he quit and stopped the loss - meaning he felt he had tried to assist and it was enough .
    Personally I would have handed your dough back and finished it that way but he - Spinelli didn't choose that path .
    I suggest calling him again and discuss with him an opportunity to remove your thread with the return of your dough . That would be fair . I am certain he has had reflection on the matter as have you - and I'm thinking Greg has had to discuss this as well .
    Work with him/Spinelli - aggressively and respectfully to seek resolution .
    I hear ya, but when someone chooses to not return a phone call or text, it's impossible to seek resolution. God knows I'm not driving to NY. I even texted him last night before I posted this to give him one more opportunity. No response. I'm not angry about it. As anybody else, I've had far worse things happen in life, I just thought others should be able to make an informed decision. Greg did discuss it with him. I told Greg to stop wasting his time. He surely has other things to do.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall that I ever identified the prop as Spinelli until yesterday. I did post some pics last summer and ask for opinions on welded, cast, crappy metal etc. but was silent on who made the prop until 13 months had passed. And posted a couple pics one other time without identifying who made the prop best that I recall. It's a done deal as far as I'm concerned. More of a PSA for others. Happy boating. I'm looking forward to the weekend!!
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes - I remember - and yes you did your best to protect the name - even with coaxing - you did not reveal until today.
    You did act as a Gentleman!
    I was hoping he/ Spinelli - would react to reasonable communication on the matter ax I suggested- it would seem your efforts were honorable
    So slam away - it's a small world and he / Spinelli must be struggling or they are spending a bunch on advertising to attract biz vs word of mouth .
    THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not take this thread down even if he makes good one way or the other....would just finish the thread with what the outcome is..
    Why should it get scrubbed its a true story and hes being a well not name calling but crap way to do business.
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

4. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dealing with Spinelli is like dealing with Fork in on this forum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All Investment casting propellers have porosity.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerNewb View Post
    Early last summer, I paid Doug $1,000 for a prop for my Seebold Ski Eagle. I had heard good things about the props and thought I'd give one a try. Doug sent me 3 or 4 different props over 3 or 4 months, non of which worked very well at all on my boat. I had been running a Hill Eagle 4 blade 28 pitch. The Hill was about 14.75 diameter and had larger blades than a Merc ET. I tried some others and always went back to the Hill.

Anyhow, all of the props he sent me slipped horribly. I encouraged him to try something with more blade area or at least more cup. After 3 or 4 different props it became clear that I was just going to have to settle on something. I ended up with a 32 DR4, the extra pitch was an attempt to deal with the slip. the Ski Eagle sticks to the water and doesn't free up until 70 plus mph. It needed a lot of trim to free it up and seemed to need more "traction" during mid range cruise. Nothing he sent dealt with these factors very well.

So about 1 hour into running the DR4, I was running in about 50 feet of water at the bottom end of large reservoir and I heard a clunk and felt vibration. I limped back to the dock and discovered this.

I sent Doug a few pics and said "we have a problem". It took him a couple of weeks to respond. He said he wanted to "see the prop" and said he'd never had one break. I questioned whether it was cast or welded and he assured me it was cast. I'm not a metallurgist, but if this prop was cast, it seems the steel wasn't nearly hot enough to fill in the entire space or it was welded very poorly.

Either way, when Doug got the prop he said, "the casting is fine, As I"m sure you noticed, the prop hit something and that is not covered under warranty". He also said it's clear you hit something since the blades in front of the broken blade were damaged and not the blade after the broken blade. I'm not sure he understands right hand rotation. The 2 blades following the broken blade were dinged up. Dinged by the blade that broke off in my opinion. I've never seen a broken prop with pockets or voids in the material. Looking at this, I'm surprised it stayed together as long as it did.

Anyhow, I'm a live and let live sort of guy. I asked Doug to send my broken prop back to me. Also asked for a 50% refund and I'll move on.

He refused both.

It's been over a year. I've texted him several times since with no response. So I figured I'd share my story so the next guy can consider what happened to me before he drops a grand or more on a new prop. Maybe this was a one off deal. I have no way of knowing. I can post pics of all the texts but don't really care to waste more time. I will say I immediately asked him to send my $1k paperweight back to me. it would make a cool coffee table piece at my lake place.

Anyhow, happy boating to everyone.
    Dangernewb,
    all investment castings have porosity.
    I have bought several sets of propellers from Doug at Spinelli.
    The quality and increased performance across the board are the best on the market.
    ive tried most of the other manufactures over my last 30 years of boating including Hill
    And have only been happy with my Spinelli’s.
    The fact that you stated Spinelli sent you multiple propellers trying to get that Seabold to move should tell everybody that Spinelli must have been trying to achieve customer satisfaction; some people just can’t be pleased.
    Several of my friends run Spinellis also and know for a fact that they always answer the phone or return calls quickly and in one case a propeller was lost in shipping and Spinelli overnighted a new to his hotel at the poker run he was attending to replace it without payment from the shipper or customer.
    you are way out of line…

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks to me like a really crappy weld thats been ground back, dressed up and polished.
    Last edited by wettek; 08-12-2021 at 01:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Situation sucks, but glad you shared this info on your dealings. I will stick with my Mazco props
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CatX, you, like everyone else, are entitled to an opinion. I can understand porosity, but large voids, not so much. Furthermore, Doug's sales pitch is to send test props while we figure out what works. So sending a few used test props was fully baked into the deal.

In my mind, what is out of line, is for Doug to keep my prop and my money. I got nothing. Happy boating.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP handled these threads with a great amount of respect and fairness. Now there's a troll with 1 post calling it out of line. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Mine is TROLL.
    ANTI40​It's just an idea.

11. Thanks kellytheaker thanked for this post
    Likes rgsauger, SS Minnow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sad to see icons like spinelli wind up with less than optimal customer service. Why keep the prop? I have ran their props and yes, they were good. But, seeing this I would be wary of their customer service. This is the main reason I stick with used stuff.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

13. Thanks kellytheaker thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if he doesnt want to respond, tell your bank that you were defrauded,they love that. bet youll get a response soon after

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CATXSpeed View Post
    Dangernewb,
    all investment castings have porosity.
    I have bought several sets of propellers from Doug at Spinelli.
    The quality and increased performance across the board are the best on the market.
    ive tried most of the other manufactures over my last 30 years of boating including Hill
    And have only been happy with my Spinelli’s.
    The fact that you stated Spinelli sent you multiple propellers trying to get that Seabold to move should tell everybody that Spinelli must have been trying to achieve customer satisfaction; some people just can’t be pleased.
    Several of my friends run Spinellis also and know for a fact that they always answer the phone or return calls quickly and in one case a propeller was lost in shipping and Spinelli overnighted a new to his hotel at the poker run he was attending to replace it without payment from the shipper or customer.
    you are way out of line…
    Nice first post....welcome to S/F. Been a member since 2020 and just posting now for the first time? Interesting
    Last edited by Beak Boater; 08-12-2021 at 06:49 PM.

16. Likes XstreamVking, rgsauger, Bodhi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live about 90 miles from Spinelli and when the Spinelli's owned it I made a few trips to discuss changes to some of my OMC and Merc props. They were superb people to deal with. I've not been there since the brothers retired some years back. I do know that they were indeed using castings for their props, but they did not make them themselves. They were contracting out the blank castings to a casting house in NY who has an excellent reputation, and finishing the rough castings in-house. Indeed, my company buys a lot of stainless castings from this house- usually 15-5 PH- and we rarely run into problems with casting errors. Looking at the failure it does indeed look like a casting void, typically caused by human error with respect to material and/or mold pre-heat temperature. If it was just a crack then I'd suspect a poor cooling cycle- 15-5 is a bit tricky and can't be cooled too fast or cracks occur. This case looks more like a void rather than a crack started the failure. By the same token, a few years back I bought a Trophy Plus from Merc that I was modifying by altering the blade shape- and found some fair size voids in one of the blades. Bad castings can happen to anyone in the trade- and if I was responsible for the prop made from that casting I'd accept it back for full credit.
    Doug

18. Likes rgsauger, Forkin' Crazy, JR IN JAX liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CatX, your FIRST post and youre calling somebody out??? You got no cred. Nice try. Fail.

Get the man's prop back for him as a token of good will if they are your buddies.
    Last edited by rgsauger; 08-12-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

20. Likes SCT, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staylor, Arn't you the owner of Spinneli?
    Paul V.
    1987 Hydrostream Viper - 1973 V4 Evinrude 135 Crossflow "Shiny Motor"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast