Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes go to Everglades City to fish for a few days, not sure if that's still too much of a hike for you. Thinking about selling the Tempest + when my new prop comes, it's not enough prop for me, and I'm going to a 25"Bravo XS. At 6000 rpms, I get 63 mph, 5500 rpms I get around 56 mph.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update***

Tempest 21p came in early so I tool her to the lake yesterday evening.

Hole shot: Ok, not terribly impressive like the solas 19p. Might need to take the plastic plugs out of the vents and re-test.

Wot: 5500 rpm, 52mph.

Note when I took it out of the water the lower unit was warm to the touch...not sure if this is normal, never tried feeling before after running.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Removing the plugs should help it get on the plane faster. Due to the large diameter, the Tempest may run better a bit higher. Try raising the engine by one hole on the transom if you wish. That would typically help the top speed more than getting it out of the hole. WOT rpms were good. I think the Tempest is slightly larger diameter than the HR3 Solas. Lower pitch typically always comes out of the hole better but depends on prop design. The easiest thing to do is remove the vents like you said and try again. After that, you could have the 19P Solas modified by adding more cup height. That will reduce the rpm some and also reduce the slip. If removing the vents helps, you could also raise the engine one hole with the Tempest and try again. You could also get the Tempest modified to spool up faster and help the holeshot if you want to spend the money on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2400 View Post
    Removing the plugs should help it get on the plane faster. Due to the large diameter, the Tempest may run better a bit higher. Try raising the engine by one hole on the transom if you wish. That would typically help the top speed more than getting it out of the hole. WOT rpms were good. I think the Tempest is slightly larger diameter than the HR3 Solas. Lower pitch typically always comes out of the hole better but depends on prop design. The easiest thing to do is remove the vents like you said and try again. After that, you could have the 19P Solas modified by adding more cup height. That will reduce the rpm some and also reduce the slip. If removing the vents helps, you could also raise the engine one hole with the Tempest and try again. You could also get the Tempest modified to spool up faster and help the holeshot if you want to spend the money on it.
    Thanks for the input!
    I have a jackplate so I can tweak it that way. Will try pulling the vent plugs next but pretty sure I'm sticking with the Tempest. Seemed to really keep a good grip on tight turns. I am also happy with it being in the proper rpm range.

5. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great if you have hydraulic jack plate. You can lower it to come out of the hole better, especially when the vent plugs are out, and then you can raise it slowly to increase the top speed. Run it lower to get on the plane and once you are at WOT and top speed, slowly keep bumping the jack plate switch up and watch the speedo. The speed should increase, and then at some point it will not increase, but the rpm will increase, and if you keep doing it eventually the both the speed and rpm will increase but I'm sure you have already tried that. The main thing is the two props might be more efficient at different jack plate heights.

7. Thanks Jbone86 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, will try next time out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made an error above. If you keep raising the plate, eventually the rpm increases and not the speed, and then the speed begins to drop as the rpm goes up but you already know that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update*
    Took the plugs out of the vents from the Tempest. Much Much better hole shot, you can really tell it spools up then bites and boom I'm on plane. Such a fun journey here. Next issue is hard starting and doesn't want to stay idling. After running for a bit it starts right up and idles fine. I'm sure that's a topic for another discussion board but figured I'd mention.

Thanks all for the helpful advise.

* going to try ccms performance reeds and stuffer kit then update after

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tempest likes the jackplate buried in the mid range on my boat for best speed.

12. Thanks Jbone86 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt j View Post
    The tempest likes the jackplate buried in the mid range on my boat for best speed.
    I've noticed the speed is about the same from 1"-2" jacked up but much better control than 3-5" with rooster tail (less speed)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbone86 View Post
    I've noticed the speed is about the same from 1"-2" jacked up but much better control than 3-5" with rooster tail (less speed)
    Every boat and prop is different. Some boats have 19", 20" or 21" transom heights from the factory so a 20" shaft engine is low or high, even when it is right down on the transom. Some jack plates are installed low or high on the transom in addition to this. Many 4 blade stainless props have to be run higher to gain speed, and will run higher before they slip. If you have more setback on the jack plate you can usually run the engine higher. Most fast boats (not all) will handle better with less chine walk if the engine is jacked higher, but there are exceptions. The last two posts appear to be from individuals that have played with engine height / prop combos and found what is ideal for their boat.

15. Thanks Jbone86 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2