Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 Optimax locked up over winter

Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice on an issue I have run into. I have a checkmate pulse 185 with an 02 optimax 150. This year got the boat out of storage as per usual. I tried to start the motor and it just clicked. Okay, figured the battery was dead. Left the battery on the trickle charger over night. Tried to start it the next day.. same thing starter just clicked. I tried to turn the motor over by hand and found that it wouldn’t rotate. I’m able to turn the motor 7/8 of a turn in either direction until it locks up. It feels very mechanical when it stops. I’ve taken the lower unit off, my initial thought was something was off there. That hasn’t changed anything, the motor still locks up on either direction after 7/8 of a rotation. I’ve pulled the plugs thinking maybe something was on the cylinders like a mouse nest, they look clear. Looking for advise on what my next steps should be? Or if there’s any common issues such as this. All I can think of at this point is that somehow there was water in the block and it’s cracked.

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would remove belt to be sure it was not the compressor or alternator then pull the heads as long as there is nothing binding up under the flywheel. Welcome to the site and good .luck.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention I did remove the belt and it was the same scenario. I’m truly at a loss as to what’s going on. The motor was running when put away. I guess the next step will be the heads, and then take a look at the intake side.

is there anyway a wrist pin could drop out?

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    I think I would remove belt to be sure it was not the compressor or alternator then pull the heads as long as there is nothing binding up under the flywheel. Welcome to the site and good .luck.

Rock

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had one lose a circlip (have no idea how) and allowed pin to migrate into the cylinder wall. Motor continued to run well and eventually machined a slot in the sleeve the length of the stroke. Was within about .030 of going completely thru the sleeve when I finally took it apart. Your situation sounds like a 3.0 I replaced this past year. Would rotate till whatever was on top of piston hit head. Did not remove head cuz pretty much figured it was junk cuz it was ran in this condition repeatedly while trying to figure out what was knocking. Had a fresh one sitting on a stand and sold it to him for less than it may have cost to rebuild and this guy fished tournaments so it had to be running the next day. You know how fishermen are. You may find problem by just removing spark plugs.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its got a rust band on the cylinder wall of one cylinder where the top piston ring was parked over winter, most likely from vapour from exhaust system entering an open exhaust port. While the lower unit is off spray some penetrating oil into all cylinders and work the engine back and forth until the rust band is removed. Seen it often. Cheers, Steve
    Popey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

thought I’d post an update to this. Took the head off and it was a mouse nest in cylinder #6 (I think, bottom left). The cylinder was packed with leaves, acorns and other junk. The mice must have travelled through the cylinder, up the leg and through the open exhaust port. I’ve never seen anything like it. The cylinder was covered in rust, I soaked it in fuel system cleaner and a lot of the rust came off and the cylinder doesn’t look too bad. I’ll put it together and see how it goes I guess