Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB offshore johnson/evinrude V6 offshore exhaust

Looking for 1989 or around that era offshore mid sections for 3.0 Looper. Looking for complete engine as well. I'm trying to reconstruct that limited edition second effort style engine.

Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Affromax View Post
    Looking for 1989 or around that era offshore mid sections for 3.0 Looper. Looking for complete engine as well. I'm trying to reconstruct that limited edition second effort style engine.

Aaron
    I don’t recall the 3.0 liter engines ever being made with a factory cast exhaust snout like the 20” midsection on the V8s of that time did. I’m pretty sure that Second Effort offered a bolt on exhaust snout for the V6s but my friend’s second effort “Limited Edition” 1988 V6 looper from Second Effort was pretty much stock other than the nose cone and lightweight cowling, keeping in mind that those versions were the ones with full OMC warranty marketed to the public.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're right. I've looked through quite a few pictures and it seems that it was just a screw on snout. Did they just drill a hole in the lower exhaust liner? Does your friend have any pictures of his limited edition?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're right. I've looked through quite a few pictures and it seems that it was just a screw on snout. Did they just drill a hole in the lower exhaust liner? Does your friend have any pictures of his limited edition?
    My friend has long since sold the boat and I don’t have any pictures of it that are other than far away which probably won’t give you mutch help. I might be able to do one better. I believe I have a copy of their 1987-88 catalog. Let me check and if you don’t have it but would like it, pm me with an email and I’ll scan and send it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a video of what I'm attempting to recreate. I love the way these engine sound and I am making an attempt to nail down what they had done to the exhaust systems. I've already purchased one 1989 gt200 that has a weak cylinder and are searching for another to match.

https://youtu.be/ROKlun2cMd8

I have seen the 1989 second effort catalog, are you referencing a 1987 88 second ever catalog that you might have? It would be interesting to see what they had.

Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a video of what I'm attempting to recreate. I love the way these engine sound and I am making an attempt to nail down what they had done to the exhaust systems. I've already purchased one 1989 gt200 that has a weak cylinder and are searching for another to match.

I have seen the 1989 second effort catalog, are you referencing a 1987 88 second ever catalog that you might have? It would be interesting to see what they had.

Aaron
    I have the volume 3 catalog which may be the same version as you’ve seen. As an FYI, I purchased, brand new, a Johnson GT200 in 1987 (2.7 liter). The only difference really between the GT and non GT 200 and 225 were spacers instead of baffles on the airbox and higher mid range and high speed jets. It sort of sounds like you’re only looking for that GT type model, and please correct me if I’m saying something you already know but you could expand your search to 1988-1992 for any 3.0 V6 looper. Then in order to create a non-modified version of what’s in your video, you’d want to do the exhaust snout (available from Bob’s machine shop), a lightweight cowl (I actually have a mold for a lightweight V6 cowl that I made 20 years ago), and if you really wanted to get fancy, scare up a set of GT airbox spacers to switch out the baffle for but you absolutely have to change Jets as well or you’ll burn up the motor.

Regarding the exhaust snout, what I’ve seen on the Facebook groups and I’m sure that Bob’s Machine shop could counsel you on is that a hole saw, say around 2 1/2”-3” is used to cut a hole in the exhaust housing and inner liner. I’ve never done it but I’ve seen some FB posts that show pics of people doing it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaron
    Those engines do sound awesome. Those are almost certainly aftermarket add-on snouts. I have a couple V8 20" mids, if you want some pics and measurements to copy their cast-in snouts let me know. Yes, you can cut a hole in the inner liner to send more exhaust out the snout. It will be LOUD.

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGreen View Post
    Those engines do sound awesome. Those are almost certainly aftermarket add-on snouts. I have a couple V8 20" mids, if you want some pics and measurements to copy their cast-in snouts let me know. Yes, you can cut a hole in the inner liner to send more exhaust out the snout. It will be LOUD.

Matt
    Aaron, this might give you a little more information. I dug up the instructions from Bob's Machine Shop for their exhaust installation. I hope it helps.
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt
    Sorry for the delayed response , I was busy rattling my chains of freedom! If It's not a terrible amount of work that would be interesting to see pictures. I kind of wondered if the V8 lower sections could be attached to the V6 head. I talk to Monty and he recommended to keep these engines around 300 horse for daily use. Having the bigger lower sections would make everything more reliable in theory but it would be more weight as well. I will start tearing into this engine shortly after it arrives so that I can have a better picture of what I'm dealing with.

So far the latest thoughts concerning modernization is to experiment with etec cylinder heads and Bosch direct injectors. The crankcase will have to receive some sort of lubrication so I'm thinking of using regular fuel injectors to deliver 10 to 20% the premix fuel through the crankcase and the other 80% of the fuel will be direct injection at the cylinder head, probably 85% ethanol. I'm thinking the premix solution will be the high quality oil around 32 to 1 or 24 to 1.

What are your thoughts?
    Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbissett View Post
    Aaron, this might give you a little more information. I dug up the instructions from Bob's Machine Shop for their exhaust installation. I hope it helps.
    John
    Thanks for the PDF! And thanks for the download of info on GT versus standard. I should have made mention that these engines are going to be modernized with fuel injection and such so there won't be any carbs to give troubles! Is that mold of the Cowell a replica or is it a custom Cowell all together?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt
    Hey Matt, I don’t suppose you’ve got a V8 20” midsection and swivel bracket for sale or know of one available? I’m definitely in the market for one.
    Best,
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the PDF! And thanks for the download of info on GT versus standard. I should have made mention that these engines are going to be modernized with fuel injection and such so there won't be any carbs to give troubles! Is that mold of the Cowell a replica or is it a custom Cowell all together?
    It’s pretty darn close to the Second Effort cowl. I modeled it after my buddy’s old cowl but I didn’t like the louvers on the top because when it rained, the inside of his engine would get wet so I left the top smooth and opened up the louvers in the back which weren’t open on the Second Effort cowl. Not great photos but this is one I pulled from the mold and painted Johnson White.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E949EB40-ECFE-46E0-A06F-B60D09F44CAB.jpeg   7BF178C8-AF0C-4844-926A-B811CD4C9E9F.jpeg  
    Last edited by jwbissett; 07-05-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbissett View Post
    It’s pretty darn close to the Second Effort cowl. I modeled it after my buddy’s old cowl but I didn’t like the louvers on the top because when it rained, the inside of his engine would get wet so I left the top smooth and opened up the louvers in the back which weren’t open on the Second Effort cowl. Not great photos but this is one I pulled from the mold and painted Johnson White.
    That looks good! I'm gathering that it's lighter weight than original equipment from OMC. Are you still able to produce that Cowell?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your looking for a 3.0 offshore exhaust they can be done had Chapman do two of mine..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210504_081454744_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	489925

Name:	IMG_20200409_150928777.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	489926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200304_130355810.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	489927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200304_170224460.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	489928
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

15. Likes ssv1761982 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    If your looking for a 3.0 offshore exhaust they can be done had Chapman do two of mine..

Name:	IMG_20210504_081454744_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	489925

Name:	IMG_20200409_150928777.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	489926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200304_130355810.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	489927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200304_170224460.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	402.8 KB 
ID:	489928
    I see what you did there. And how did they sound? Also curious about your horsepower rating and how well they hold up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast