Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help ..bravo one problem ..shift issue

Was on the lake cruising at 50 backed all the way off throttle and boat was still going, then it slammed out of gear. I could not get it to go back in forward .. could barely get it to go in reverse . Had to reverse the whole way to the dock.

got home I check the shift cable going from shifter to engine bay , it has full movement easy. I try and push the cable going to the outdrive in forward I cannot get it to move at all! It will go into reverse …now it’s in reverse and won’t come out …

where do I begin ? Do I need to replace the shift cable from the outdrive ?? What are the steps to removing bravo one ? What else could it be … please help ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bravos are easy to pull...unbolt the thing and pull it back. You probably busted that lower shift cable, the linkage or maybe something in the upper. As you probably know the lowers don't shift in bravos, its the upper unit that shifts. I never have rebuilt an upper, so I don't know what could break there as far as shifting, but I have changed cables and the linkage mechanism in the upper. Either of those can break/stretch and you still have some shifting.

When you disconnected the cable at the engine and then moved the control box you said it was smooth, did it have force/play? Like could you grab the end and push/pull it more than 1/4" ? If so that cable may be stretched too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try manually shifting it out of gear while it's running...... Disconnect the shift cable coming from the shift lever at the engine and run the engine while trying to shift it with the cable going to the drive. if it comes out of gear and shifts from gear to gear with moderate effort, then that cable is good. Feeling some bumping in the cable while trying to pull it out of gear is normal. If the cable moves freely with no shifting, cable is bad. The shift dog inside the gearcase is concentric and helps pull it out of gear when the engine is running.

Next,with the shift cable still hooked up to the shifter but not hooked up to the engine, put the shifter in neutral, grab the engine end of the cable and see if there is any in/out movement in the cable..... should be less than 1/2" slack in the cable. If it moves freely, the cable is broken.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Try manually shifting it out of gear while it's running...... Disconnect the shift cable coming from the shift lever at the engine and run the engine while trying to shift it with the cable going to the drive. if it comes out of gear and shifts from gear to gear with moderate effort, then that cable is good. Feeling some bumping in the cable while trying to pull it out of gear is normal. If the cable moves freely with no shifting, cable is bad. The shift dog inside the gearcase is concentric and helps pull it out of gear when the engine is running.

Next,with the shift cable still hooked up to the shifter but not hooked up to the engine, put the shifter in neutral, grab the engine end of the cable and see if there is any in/out movement in the cable..... should be less than 1/2" slack in the cable. If it moves freely, the cable is broken.

ok here is the latest . The shift cable moves perfect from the shifter to the engine bay while it’s disconnected . It will not move forward going from engine bay to outdrive . I pulled outdrive , I cannot manually press it forward . Prop and shaft will not move together all the time . Called a mechanic he said the clutches are probably bad ..

new question ?? I’m debating on changing the outdrive or having rebuilt . Quote I got for rebuild is 2500… would a bravo 3 upper fit on my bravo lower . And how would it effect my performance because it has a 2.0 gear ratio vs 1.5

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, you pulled the out drive, did you disconnect the cable from the outdrive as you pulled it? If you did, then it shifted into forward as you pulled the drive. If it were stuck in reverse, you would not be able to remove the cable from the drive.

The picture shows the drive removed and the shift attachment in forward gear....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shifter 3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	488916
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .