Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it make sense to swap the connections of the two boxes and run it to see if the #2 fires or not? If the no-fire moves to the #1 then the box is bad, if the no-fire stays on #2 then I need to investigate further... possibly the trigger. Does this make sense?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, possible trigger too, this is why we test everything first. I've seen mechanics replace the switch boxes, coils and stator just to find out they had a hole in the block..... (extreme, yes, but true)

So one step at a time.... get yourself a DVA adapter then start fresh.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that proper diagnosis is a process. And with limited equipment this can be difficult. I thought I was lucky enough to have figured this out when the one switch box had bad resistance readings compared to the other one. Could that just be a red herring?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlCVX20 View Post
    I understand that proper diagnosis is a process. And with limited equipment this can be difficult. I thought I was lucky enough to have figured this out when the one switch box had bad resistance readings compared to the other one. Could that just be a red herring?
    you know to get accurate ohms readings, whatever your checking needs to be isolated,if theres wires hooked to it ,the power the meter uses to send to check resistance could head elsewhere

5. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rprinzo View Post
    you know to get accurate ohms readings, whatever your checking needs to be isolated,if theres wires hooked to it ,the power the meter uses to send to check resistance could head elsewhere
    Agreed. As per the CDI troubleshooting guide, I removed the black/white wire that’s connected to both boxes before I did my ohms testing. Got two very different readings, one was in spec the other was not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To that question abotu spark...if you find it does have spark then do a compression test on that cylinder. If it has spark and compression then I would suspect one of two reasons as to why it is not firing: too much fuel, or bad reeds. Busted reeds it can't suck fuel into that cylinder, and too much fuel (like if a carb is overflowing) will wash out the cylinder and look clean.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of what everyone is saying is starting to sink in, so I went to my local auto store and picked up a spark plug tester. Unfortunately it’s only an in-line unit but I think it will still shed light on my issue with the merc. I will do some testing tomorrow and report back.

Again I value the advice and insight you all have provided.

stay tuned.

9. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grounding the plugs to the block and watching can often be better than using the tester. Because not all spark is the same...there might be enough power to light a light but not enough to fire a spark under compression. Weak spark is just as good as no spark. Seeing any indication, however is a good start. But don't ever rule out an ignition issue if you see spark in each cylinder. These ignition systems are funny in a way (but there are even more complicated ones out there too, like optis when one coil fails it keels the cyl. next to it).

11. Thanks CarlCVX20 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An air-gap tester is the best to use since they tell you the spark should jump at least a 1/2" air gap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product_picture_42091.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	488849
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cdi-electronics-rv-accessories-511-9766-64_1000.jpg  
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

13. Thanks CarlCVX20 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, there’s at least some spark on all cylinders. I say at least because it’s bright outside and it was hard to see the tester light up on some occasions. On cylinders 3-6, the tester seems to have lit up brighter than on 1 and 2 and I’m fairly certain those two didn’t always light up with every turn of the ignition. What I am certain of is that all 6 lit up at one point or another during the testing.

on a side note, can over-tightening a waterpump housing keep the motor from reaching full rpm?
    Last edited by CarlCVX20; 06-16-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlCVX20 View Post
    Welp, there’s at least some spark on all cylinders. I say at least because it’s bright outside and it was hard to see the tester light up on some occasions. On cylinders 3-6, the tester seems to have lit up brighter than on 1 and 2 and I’m fairly certain those two didn’t always light up with every turn of the ignition. What I am certain of is that all 6 lit up at one point or another during the testing.

on a side note, can over-tightening a waterpump housing keep the motor from reaching full rpm?
    No.

There is nothing you can do to the water pump that will affect WOT rpm.
    Melt it
    forget to put it in
    put no keyway in
    put no slinger in
    fill it full of epoxy
    pack it full of grease

your motor will spin it no matter what.
    We always put a slight film of grease in the impeller cup on water pump changes. Not sure how much it does, but we do it. We tell customers to do the same in case you start it dry or whatever, I think it saves it for a min. The other day some customer thought, " well if a little grease is good for it, then a lot must be better" ... he packed it with grease like a wheel bearing. Then he complained it wouldn't pump....I wonder why. But it did not hurt anything when he cleaned it all out.
    Last edited by 25two.stroke; 06-17-2021 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    No.

There is nothing you can do to the water pump that will affect WOT rpm.
    Melt it
    forget to put it in
    put no keyway in
    put no slinger in
    fill it full of epoxy
    pack it full of grease

your motor will spin it no matter what.
    We always put a slight film of grease in the impeller cup on water pump changes. Not sure how much it does, but we do it. We tell customers to do the same in case you start it dry or whatever, I think it saves it for a min. The other day some customer thought, " well if a little grease is good for it, then a lot must be better" ... he packed it with grease like a wheel bearing. Then he complained it wouldn't pump....I wonder why. But it did not hurt anything when he cleaned it all out.
    Post #25 is pretty funny chit as to the water pump housing torque.
    Packing it full like a wheel bearing is classic.hahaha I always coat an impeller with a slight film of grease helps it turn in better especially on a omc with the rubber string gasket.
    If I loosen my pump housing on my drag motor I might gain a mil of a second before I burn a piston.
    I may be slow but im ahead of you. *hit's only ankle deep but you went in head first.

17. Likes 25two.stroke, rjdubiel liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    An air-gap tester is the best to use since they tell you the spark should jump at least a 1/2" air gap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	product_picture_42091.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	488849
    I have that exact 8 cylinder gap tester made by cdi. I think it only cost around $30. well worth the money

19. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2