Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe they can make one with a speaker that goes ..... Vroomm-Vroooooooom ..

Instead of sounding like my wife's blender ...Whhhuuurrrrrrrrrr ..

2. Likes Forkin' Crazy, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would I consider an electric boat? mmmmm (about 10 seconds time gap) OK, no thanks, don't want one...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

4. Likes Bodhi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...hybrid performance boat is an example of an oxymoron...

6. Likes Bodhi, mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    Duffy had made a few hybrid river boats (30') has a generator and about 16 8D batteries..... ten grand+ every 8 years for batteries...... plus maintenance. All the batteries were inaccessible, so had to use sealed batteries, AGM.

Also, as for the arrangement, the big Duffy had a big 96 volt motor on a standard inboard shaft arrangement. The smaller 18's and 22's have the Duffy power rudder... a rudder with a prop coming out of it. The lower leaks water in, it's $4500 to replace..... no fixing it. All pretty much 6 - 8 mph boats......

Attachment 488699
    About 5yrs ago there was a surge of these stupid things putt- putting all over naples Bay and ft myers. Every yuppy lib HAD to have one because it was healthy for seagulls....or some crap. Now I don't believe there is even one of these retarded things left running.
    No, I wouldn't consider an electric boat....I won't even get on board with fly by wire
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

8. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I won't even get on board with fly by wire
    Wait... you don't ever go on airplanes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
    lol, yeah, similar concept, I think the difference here is that's a pleasure boat and not a race where people are trying to kill you.

What I'm driving at, is that fast boats are rad, but... if you look at the amount of time actually spent going fast... versus how much time it's on the water, it's probably not that much. At least in my situation; I'm sure some people are driving hard for hours at a time.... but I'm wondering if you looked at stats from all high perf boats, what percentage of the days they're actually being used, are they even using WOT. 5 minutes? 10? 30?

Idk.

Batteries cannot compete with gasoline in terms of energy storage per pound... but maybe they could hold enough juice to satiate high speed bursts, then rely on ICE for gradual charging in between runs?
    Not similar , an exact copy .. sans , you want to charge on gas .. they did it with diesel . Get stuck in the Gulf Stream on 0 volts in a "summer squall" and yea , you'll think someone is tryin to kill ya ... Too bad you don't have enough battery to call for help .. Mayday coast guard station Ft.Pierce .. this is the EV Dip **** idea , I lost track when our battery died .. I think I'm bout 18 miles off your coast .. please come get me before I crash into Savanna Georgia , up side down some time tomorrow .. EV Dip **** idea this is CG Ft. Pierce .. we are sending out our EV Helo out to rescue you ... soon as we charge the battery ..

Doesn't matter how many hour's , minutes one spends at high speed. It's that the boat will do it at the captains discretion .. as apposed to layin the stick forward of a wet noodle .

In the end , it looks like it's gonna be gas powered , with a ton of BS that's not needed ...

I see you live in Millhonkey ... I get it now

11. Likes Forkin' Crazy, mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So have any of you driven an EV yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So have any of you driven an EV yet?
    Why do you ask ..?

Do they carry gas generator's with them too .. spare gas cans .. ???

My cross the skreet neighbor ain't home from work yet , maybe his battery died .. but I'll show ya the car when he gets home ...

In the mean time , take your's and try to knock my mail box down .. it's the
    1.750 x .134 wall ..ladder bar in the middle .. tell me how much it cost's to fix your EV , in-bred import ..

14. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Why do you ask ..?

Do they carry gas generator's with them too .. spare gas cans .. ???

My cross the skreet neighbor ain't home from work yet , maybe his battery died .. but I'll show ya the car when he gets home ...

In the mean time , take your's and try to knock my mail box down .. it's the
    1.750 x .134 wall ..ladder bar in the middle .. tell me how much it cost's to fix your EV , in-bred import ..

Gee, you're lucky not to have that ugly mailbox in front of your house
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ask because I grew up with V8 musclecars and stuff, and the INSTANT TORQUE of the model 3 I rented on a trip was just insanity... obviously the biggest issue is range on a boat, since batteries are so heavy, but I see a few benefits with the hybrid model:

1. Instant torque (duh), and probably way more than most comparable ICE engines
    2. You could have a direct drive, 1:1 gearcase; could be WAY more hydrodynamic without the need for neutral/reverse. Could be a gearcase like my quickie on the KG4 I'm finishing up for my hydroplane.

So more torque, less drag on the gearcase, could be a totally nutty level of performance, just... not for a very long time. Hence the small ICE to recharge while you're swimming or chilling on a sandbar or getting drinks or something.

Also, idk if you saw the news, but the new Tesla plaid runs 9 second 1/4 miles.... easily. It's now the quickest production car in the world, excluding the experimental rimac. All those carbon fiber bodied exotic cars? Not as quick. Just wild stuff... wondering how this would translate to marine market, and the only way I see how is with a hybrid/piggyback generator, otherwise the weight penalty would negate any performance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No possible way . If it doesn't smoke and have a high RPM powerband I don't want it .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5857b96fe2473715fec4d012786b56e5.jpg  
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

18. Likes Bodhi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A mild hybrid would work great. I've mentioned it in a couple recent articles. More electrics are coming on the market but they are poorly designed and ungodly expensive. Most use the Torqeedo, BMW i3 derive battery.

Mild hybrids are great because they don't cost much, have no need for charging and assist the gas motor to make more power. And, can be run on pure electric at slow speeds, around the marina, slow speed zones etc.

Article.
    https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2020...ms?rq=electric

20. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ask because I grew up with V8 musclecars and stuff, and the INSTANT TORQUE of the model 3 I rented on a trip was just insanity... obviously the biggest issue is range on a boat, since batteries are so heavy, but I see a few benefits with the hybrid model:

1. Instant torque (duh), and probably way more than most comparable ICE engines
    2. You could have a direct drive, 1:1 gearcase; could be WAY more hydrodynamic without the need for neutral/reverse. Could be a gearcase like my quickie on the KG4 I'm finishing up for my hydroplane.

So more torque, less drag on the gearcase, could be a totally nutty level of performance, just... not for a very long time. Hence the small ICE to recharge while you're swimming or chilling on a sandbar or getting drinks or something.

Also, idk if you saw the news, but the new Tesla plaid runs 9 second 1/4 miles.... easily. It's now the quickest production car in the world, excluding the experimental rimac. All those carbon fiber bodied exotic cars? Not as quick. Just wild stuff... wondering how this would translate to marine market, and the only way I see how is with a hybrid/piggyback generator, otherwise the weight penalty would negate any performance.
    Yes, electric motors are insane, the power and efficiency is incredible. A really efficient hull, like an Allison or STV could run with a battery in place of the fuel tank and probably get decent range. The battery, inverter etc would cost a lot. The weight distribution would be tricky.

Taking an existing outboard and removing the powerhead, replaced with an electric motor has been done, not too difficult.

22. Likes John S liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...hybrid performance boat is an example of an oxymoron...
    Oil or Coal

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetoWave View Post
    Yes, electric motors are insane, the power and efficiency is incredible. A really efficient hull, like an Allison or STV could run with a battery in place of the fuel tank and probably get decent range. The battery, inverter etc would cost a lot. The weight distribution would be tricky.

Taking an existing outboard and removing the powerhead, replaced with an electric motor has been done, not too difficult.
    With electric you can get out of the marina, then pull the sails up till you get back to the marina and turn the electric back on

25. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast