Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you guys ever consider a hybrid performance boat?

Ok, so I've been drinking but hear me out.

What if... like... air entrapment hull, small, maybe 20' tops, seats four, top speed of around 65ish, stern drive, only the electric motor facing down hanging off behind the trnasom (so only 1 90 degree gearset (loss)), and then a single speed gearbox because electric motors can easily run in reverse, they don't need neutral/reverse like an ICE engine.

So I grew up inland, but even on the longest boating days I've been on, it was always go really fast for maybe 15 minutes tops, then chill somewhere for a while, swim, go down a river at slow no wake speeds, etc... then a few minutes of blasting fast, repeat/chill/river etc.

So what if you had an electric boat with enough juice to do maybe 30 minutes of WOT. That's all the batteries could support.

But it also had a small gasoline powered generator, isolated, very quiet, that was mounted near the stern that would just kick on when needed.

Even if the battery was depleted completely, the small generator would put out enough power that the boat could cruise at maybe 30-35.

Thoughts?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A small generator to keep the batteries charged for the electric engine, is I think the introductory model for some of the new generation of early electric-powered cruising boats.

Electric powered Performance boats achieving 60+ mph and exceeding a time duration of 30 minutes. I would imagine battery technology is not there Yet, for the mass-market marine application. But the political environment will prod the marine industry to make it happen, or something like the old Luxury Tax (in this case CO2 emissions polluters tax) will be levied on the boating world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its all reasonable but batteries need to be 20 to 50 times better than today.
    Many stick and rag jobs that just need to get in out or a marina or mooring have electric outboards, but they last about 20 minutes for a weight of an outboard of fuel that would go many hours.
    At one of my clubs/marinas there a guy who has both, electric to just go sailing out of the club and swaps to ice outboard to go anywhere else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duffy had made a few hybrid river boats (30') has a generator and about 16 8D batteries..... ten grand+ every 8 years for batteries...... plus maintenance. All the batteries were inaccessible, so had to use sealed batteries, AGM.

Also, as for the arrangement, the big Duffy had a big 96 volt motor on a standard inboard shaft arrangement. The smaller 18's and 22's have the Duffy power rudder... a rudder with a prop coming out of it. The lower leaks water in, it's $4500 to replace..... no fixing it. All pretty much 6 - 8 mph boats......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2dbee7ed3b65a22272134173d80d25ac.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	488699
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

5. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An onboard gas generator .. to support an electric motor ..

So you have said that to yourself over and over .. till it makes some kind of sense ..

Yes dear , I realize there's an emergency at home , but you have to wait at least an hour while the battery's take a partial charge ... so we can race home at half speed.

ohh gee golly yaaah .. that's a great idea ...

7. Likes Lake X Kid, Forkin' Crazy, 22R, Bodhi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    I would imagine battery technology is not there Yet, for the mass-market marine application. But the political environment will prod the marine industry to make it happen, or something like the old Luxury Tax (in this case CO2 emissions polluters tax) will be levied on the boating world.

The marine industry simply does not have the resources to do that kind of R&A, they will have to do what they always do; follow the auto industry and marinize it. Salt water would be the one major hurdle to get over, anything electrical, especially with the high voltage motors, would have to be waterproof. Motor cooling system would have to be leak-proof, cowling would have to be sealed and let cooling air in from inside the boat etc.....
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    An onboard gas generator .. to support an electric motor ..

So you have said that to yourself over and over .. till it makes some kind of sense ..

Yes dear , I realize there's an emergency at home , but you have to wait at least an hour while the battery's take a partial charge ... so we can race home at half speed.

ohh gee golly yaaah .. that's a great idea ...
    sounds familiar.... electric cars.... limited range then have to wait 4 - 6 hours before you can continue on with your trip..........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean like a trolling motor right? Yes I have considered a trolling motor.
    ANTI40​It's just an idea.

11. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In reality .. what he's proposing is not a hybrid.

It would have to have to have two or more independent drive systems .

This deal would be an electric system only relying on GASOLINE to recharge.

Ask any ole Nazi sub captain how well that worked out for them during the last two years of WWll . Once we had developed hunter / killer teams that could drone over them till they had to surface with dead batteries .. there was no more getting away..

13. Likes Whaaaaat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But wait.... there's more! what do you re-charge the batteries with if not the onboard generator? Of course..... either nuclear or fossil fuel generated electricity from your local power generation plant... (and the 3% of wind and solar power)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    The marine industry simply does not have the resources to do that kind of R&A, they will have to do what they always do; follow the auto industry and marinize it. Salt water would be the one major hurdle to get over, anything electrical, especially with the high voltage motors, would have to be waterproof. Motor cooling system would have to be leak-proof, cowling would have to be sealed and let cooling air in from inside the boat etc.....
    \
    cant do the R&D, I saw a boat once that had a trim motor on the outside and sometimes it even went underwater..
    Still trying to think on an outboard what technology came from the auto industry other than the spark plugs and starter motors?
    Cars followed outboards with electronic ignition, there is lots more

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ford started mass production of the V-8 in 1932.

Electronic ignition Delco-Remy 1948

Lots more .... Next

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    In reality .. what he's proposing is not a hybrid.

It would have to have to have two or more independent drive systems .

This deal would be an electric system only relying on GASOLINE to recharge.

Ask any ole Nazi sub captain how well that worked out for them during the last two years of WWll . Once we had developed hunter / killer teams that could drone over them till they had to surface with dead batteries .. there was no more getting away..
    lol, yeah, similar concept, I think the difference here is that's a pleasure boat and not a race where people are trying to kill you.

What I'm driving at, is that fast boats are rad, but... if you look at the amount of time actually spent going fast... versus how much time it's on the water, it's probably not that much. At least in my situation; I'm sure some people are driving hard for hours at a time.... but I'm wondering if you looked at stats from all high perf boats, what percentage of the days they're actually being used, are they even using WOT. 5 minutes? 10? 30?

Idk.

Batteries cannot compete with gasoline in terms of energy storage per pound... but maybe they could hold enough juice to satiate high speed bursts, then rely on ICE for gradual charging in between runs?

18. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaaaaat View Post
    You mean like a trolling motor right? Yes I have considered a trolling motor.
    No, like the opposite. Imagine a high perf electric boat with a 30 minute battery. And then imagine a small ICE engine that could recharge it quietly while you're chilling at a sandbar or swimming.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
    No, like the opposite. Imagine a high perf electric boat with a 30 minute battery. And then imagine a small ICE engine that could recharge it quietly while you're chilling at a sandbar or swimming.
    So, you have the added heavy weight of the batteries (assuming the motor will weigh the same) along with a generator and fuel.... Counter-productive. They are having a tough time nailing down range per charge in cars, in boats, it will be way worse..... The only boats that have decent range per charge aren't going much faster than 8 - 10 mph. You're not taking your kids tubing in that boat. Batteries need to get more advanced before they can be seriously considered for the mainstream boater.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the idea of electric powered boats, but the whole Idea of going electric is to ditch the gas and carbon footprint..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast