Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with 25twostroke. low compression and broken reed wouldn't idle worth a crap.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trading in the old power head.
    The shop I took it to was nice enough to invite me back to do the compression test and then view the scope, wasn’t sure what I was looking at at first but the mechanic showed me one of my other cylinders and you could definitely tell #6 was all scratched up. As I said I’m no mechanic. This boat needs to last me awhile so I’m going to just spend the money so I know what I have.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet123 View Post
    I agree with 25twostroke. low compression and broken reed wouldn't idle worth a crap.
    When you said you soak the cylinders in gunk to regain compression...the only thing that could POSSIBLY do to help you get compression back is if the rings are all carboned up and stuck; or dry. If thats the case then your "regained compression" is not likely to last long. Theres no way that rings can truly clean themselves out enough when they are stuck...but I believe it for a temporary fix.

But...de carbing (carboning) valves on a 2-stroke according to the first shop...thats a longshot.

As far as trading your block in, you do what you wanna do but some fools on here think those blocks are gold. Shoot, some people try to get $1000 for a used rotating assembly! And as far as reliability, you have a steel sleeve motor, and for fishing purposes there is NOTHING WRONG with boring one hole 0.015" over and putting another piston in it. I mean, its your money, so do whatever you want. But if a shop is not willing to put a piston in your block and will only sell an new drop-on...I would question their work and ability to assemble engines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I performed this same repair on the same engine and have been searching for a pdf manual as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    And as far as reliability, you have a steel sleeve motor, and for fishing purposes there is NOTHING WRONG with boring one hole 0.015" over and putting another piston in it. I mean, its your money, so do whatever you want. But if a shop is not willing to put a piston in your block and will only sell an new drop-on...I would question their work and ability to assemble engines.
    What he said! ^^^
    There is NOTHING wrong with boring that hole and dropping in a new piston and rings if the shop is qualified/equipped to do it. If you just want a new drop-on, then nothing wrong with that, either. It's a just a choice and $$$.
    1990 Shadow bass boat w/ 2.4 200 Merc. Totally resto'd boat and love it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    when you said you soak the cylinders in gunk to regain compression...the only thing that could possibly do to help you get compression back is if the rings are all carboned up and stuck; or dry. If thats the case then your "regained compression" is not likely to last long. Theres no way that rings can truly clean themselves out enough when they are stuck...but i believe it for a temporary fix.

But...de carbing (carboning) valves on a 2-stroke according to the first shop...thats a longshot.

As far as trading your block in, you do what you wanna do but some fools on here think those blocks are gold. Shoot, some people try to get $1000 for a used rotating assembly! And as far as reliability, you have a steel sleeve motor, and for fishing purposes there is nothing wrong with boring one hole 0.015" over and putting another piston in it. I mean, its your money, so do whatever you want. But if a shop is not willing to put a piston in your block and will only sell an new drop-on...i would question their work and ability to assemble engines.
    fools? as noted in a different thread, there is a difference

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3