Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question: Resale value of boat with plywood vs foam transom/stringer?

Would you guys pay more for a boat with coosa/divinycell vs marine plywood?

How much more? I know it depends on the boat, but let's just say an 18-25' boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would not. I look at the glass job itself and look for decay/water-logging in hulls. Thats all that matters to me. Water is water no matter what it saturates. Your glass cracks/fails and water gets in...its no good. No matter what the substrate/core is.
    Lets look at a side-by-side comparison and chain of events:

WOOD BOATS:
    Glass or sealant fails
    Water gets in
    Glass de-laminates
    Water gets trapped
    Structural integrity is lost

FOAM BOATS:
    Glass or sealant fails
    Water gets in
    Glass de-laminates
    Water gets trapped
    Structural integrity is lost

As far as strength to weight proportions, correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of the strength comes from the fiberglass system not the core itself...so that is what is more important to me than whats inside.

Sure a composite boat might last like 5 years longer, but I am not gonna pay more for it. If the boat is in good shape I will pay good money for it; wood or composite. If its old and abused then it don't matter the core material, its gonna get a "boat in need of repair" price.

3. Likes LakeFever, keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post

As far as strength to weight proportions, correct me if I am wrong, but the majority of the strength comes from the fiberglass system not the core itself...so that is what is more important to me than whats inside.
    Big Sea Ray boats use hollow stringers, they are about 3 inches wide and hollow in the middle, no wood. Many of the bigger boats are built this way. So, yeah, the fiberglass is the strength............
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not always materials it's more the quality of the work..
    Even if you use the best materials if you do a Shi**y work the boats worth less then before the repair.

I just saw work I did 29 years ago with plain plywood it's still dry solid and not a spider crack anywhere..
    LETS GO BRANDON.... LETS GO BRANDON

Sometimes I talk to myself...then we both just laugh and laugh

'84 Checkmate Convincor

6. Likes LakeFever, MattGreen liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrichartz View Post
    It's not always materials it's more the quality of the work..
    Even if you use the best materials if you do a Shi**y work the boats worth less then before the repair.

I just saw work I did 29 years ago with plain plywood it's still dry solid and not a spider crack anywhere..
    Very much true

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm going to do half assed work no matter what but I'll learn from it and improve my skills and you guys can all make fun of me when you watch my inevitable video (with ads) that shows my sloppy asa fiberglass work. I just figure keep adding more resin and layers until it's overbuilt and that is probably fine.

I found a sheet of H80 Divinycell for $300, picked up, and it's 1.5" thick, 4x8 sheet. That would be enough to do my stringer, and my transom (I still have no idea if H80 is dense enough to do transoms; I understand the allen key/drill/fill cylinder of epoxy and redrill for any through bolt hole tho).

Trying to figure out if my boat would be worth $300 more if I do foam.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just adding .more on top on top won't make it stronger if it's not adhereing to the layer below you'll just just waste materials...
    Might want to change the tile from gold to ......jk

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
    Well I'm going to do half assed work no matter what but I'll learn from it and improve my skills and you guys can all make fun of me when you watch my inevitable video (with ads) that shows my sloppy asa fiberglass work. I just figure keep adding more resin and layers until it's overbuilt and that is probably fine.

I found a sheet of H80 Divinycell for $300, picked up, and it's 1.5" thick, 4x8 sheet. That would be enough to do my stringer, and my transom (I still have no idea if H80 is dense enough to do transoms; I understand the allen key/drill/fill cylinder of epoxy and redrill for any through bolt hole tho).

Trying to figure out if my boat would be worth $300 more if I do foam.
    What's the point of doing it if it's going to be done half-ass? If you don't know what you are doing, learn before you do it. There is plenty of information on this site and out there on the cyber information highway for you to learn from first.

So, if you do go ahead and do the job with no knowledge and it turns out crappy, are you going to inform whomever buys this boat from you just how dangerous it is due to poor workmanship?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

11. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just meant don't expect much. I've only redone 3 other boats. I get better each time tho

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flabum1017 View Post
    What's the point of doing it if it's going to be done half-ass? If you don't know what you are doing, learn before you do it. There is plenty of information on this site and out there on the cyber information highway for you to learn from first.

So, if you do go ahead and do the job with no knowledge and it turns out crappy, are you going to inform whomever buys this boat from you just how dangerous it is due to poor workmanship?
    Was holding my tounge for now wasn't sure it it was a typo.. but..
    You don't need t worry about $300 if your going to do half ass work..if your not going to do enough research first save the $300.
    If your even doing mediocre work your not getting more for it because of foam or Divinycell so save the money and spend time on learning..and like flabum said if you end up doing a crap job make sure you disclose the work. Or do it so it's right..

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea that resto that Tony did..badass hydrostream...
    Tony didn't have years of knowledge etc he put in the time and effort to learn get answers first and look at the quality of work..well also don't think you'd ever hear the words I'll do half ass form him either also additude makes difference..

'84 Checkmate Convincor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope this thread comes to a future buyers attention should you sell this project....
    Personally I would be asking specific questions if I was purchasing a finished boat. If the supposed builder cannot answer basic material/build questions......I wouldn't pay sheeeeeeet
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

16. Likes mrichartz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I sure hope this thread comes to a future buyers attention should you sell this project....
    Personally I would be asking specific questions if I was purchasing a finished boat. If the supposed builder cannot answer basic material/build questions......I wouldn't pay sheeeeeeet
    That's why I was asking he's got people watching thinking he's doing great work..he's the one that said half ass that's not cool how people get seriously hurt or killed someone with even less knowledge buys the boat and thinks it's all been redone and over powers and thing disintegrates.
    Just saying disclose everything

'84 Checkmate Convincor

18. Likes Bodhi liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Unless someone putties and grinds all the transitions flat its pretty easy to tell how well a boat was built. Buyers should know how to spot a good glass job or take someone with them who does!
    Seems like you all are getting on this guy for no reason or assuming he did a bad job...remember we are not in the political section boys...
    When he said he's doing a hlaf-ass job he was being humble compared to the seasoned builders...not that he himself is putting in half-ass effort.
    No one who spends that much money on epoxy and mat will put in a half-ass effort. You just can't.

20. Likes ADDvanced liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    Unless someone putties and grinds all the transitions flat its pretty easy to tell how well a boat was built. Buyers should know how to spot a good glass job or take someone with them who does!
    Seems like you all are getting on this guy for no reason or assuming he did a bad job...remember we are not in the political section boys...
    When he said he's doing a hlaf-ass job he was being humble compared to the seasoned builders...not that he himself is putting in half-ass effort.
    No one who spends that much money on epoxy and mat will put in a half-ass effort. You just can't.
    I was just pointing out how earlier in the day the individual was stating that they make youtube build videos.......if you claim half ass work...you cannot make videos as if you are professional
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

22. Likes 25two.stroke, mrichartz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast