Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB Johnson / Evinrude V6 Limited edition

Looking for a pair of Johnson or Evinrude limited edition / Second Efforts V6 s from late 80s. Looking for runners or non-runners with a good foundation to start with. The plan is to modernize these engines with haltech fuel injection systems. I have a land and sea 800 water brake dyno to Aid with the modernization.

Thanks
    Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool project but I assume you know that these will be hard to find, even harder as a pair. The Facebook groups dedicated to OMCs would be a good place to ask too. Please keep us in the loop on this project.
    Tell us more about your dyno setup.....is it for personal use only, or can dyno time be rented ?

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Matt, I realize this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Let's just call this a five-year project. Not in too big of a hurry to get something in the water but I want to start now rather than later before these things are extinct😀

As far as the land and sea dyno, it was one of those designed to fit propeller shaft but I have yet to attach it to a inboard outboard. Primarily I have the dyno for research and personal use, but in the future I need to be more customer oriented. I guess that means I'll have to clean my shop first😵. Currently on the dyno is a aftermarket knock off of the Chevrolet 8.1. It is a 8.8 liter Power Solutions International engine that will be set up with sequential turbo system.

So enough about bad habits, what is your setup?

Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,

Just out of curiosity why did you pick the Johnson or Evinrude limited edition / Second Efforts V6 s from late 80s to build? I see that you are going to try the Haltech Fuel injection on it and was thinking that this will require other changes in the fuel delivery and exhaust systems to get this to work. I am also thinking you will need to change the prop shaft to accommodate the horsepower and prop selections these days.

Don't get me wrong because I love the idea and the challenge you are trying. Really like the old Evinrude/Johnson motors. I learned a lot about carburetor tuning much to the other boaters dismay that were next to me when I started up. Hahahahaha

Thanks
    Charger70

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charger70,
    I've always kind of liked those engines and it's been a long time since I've been fishing😀. I don't think there's any other engine that sounds like these as well. The fuel injection will greatly simplify things and add many safety features to prevent meltdown including knock control, exhaust gas temperature compensation per cylinder, wideband O2 control. One of the big benefits is having a flex fuel sensor to allow the use E85 or gasoline and then have all the timing and injection Corrections program based on the amount of ethanol content. Ignition timing can be program against RPM and manifold vacuum instead of just RPM. The stack of carbs can be replaced with tuned intake runners and a pair of resonance plenums along with a pair of drive-by-wire throttle bodies.

It's probably all sounds like a lot but about five grand would go a long way to modernize one of these engines. Most of the parts are off the shelf automotive components such as GM LS ignition coils, Bosch throttle bodies, GM map and temperature sensors Etc.
    Eliminating 6 carburetors with bouncing floats to prevent meltdown is appealing to me.

As far as winding these engines up tight, that is not my concern. But rather focusing around the 6500 to 7000 RPM range were these engines were designed to run.

What you think,

Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,

I think it is great. I would like to hear how it goes. Are the pair of engines you are looking for standard rotation with lowers that determine rotation or one standard and one counter rotating engines. I am not that familiar with the commercial v-6's back then.

Didn't mean to hijack your post for motors.

Thanks
    Charger70

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charger70, I have no idea. At this point it's probably going to be a miracle just to even find one of these things let alone two of them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Affromax View Post
    Charger70, I have no idea. At this point it's probably going to be a miracle just to even find one of these things let alone two of them
    Isn't there an '89 2 posts below yours in this section?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Aaron,

I have two engines but it does not sound like they would work for you. Good luck.

10. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Matt, I realize this is going to be a bit of a challenge. Let's just call this a five-year project. Not in too big of a hurry to get something in the water but I want to start now rather than later before these things are extinct

As far as the land and sea dyno, it was one of those designed to fit propeller shaft but I have yet to attach it to a inboard outboard. Primarily I have the dyno for research and personal use, but in the future I need to be more customer oriented. I guess that means I'll have to clean my shop first. Currently on the dyno is a aftermarket knock off of the Chevrolet 8.1. It is a 8.8 liter Power Solutions International engine that will be set up with sequential turbo system.

So enough about bad habits, what is your setup?

Aaron
    Hi Aaron,
    Cool project, very ambitious. I like these older looper engines too. There are numerous board members on here that have converted these to a variety of fuel injection systems. Once you get some momentum a post in the Project or Technical sections would get more attention.

I have a similar goal to convert an OMC V8 from the same era to fuel injection; not a race engine, but basically to build the best V8 that OMC never did. I don't have a dyno, and outboard dynos (other than K&O hydraulic ones) are non-existent in western Canada, so if you are open to renting time on yours at some point that might be handy.

Matt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1990 Johnson V6s

Are these what you are looking for?

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_0294.jpg  
    WharfRatEric
    Lake Sacandaga NY

Checkmate 220ZT BR - 6.2 Mercruiser
    Liberator 24' Cat - One and a half Johnson 200 OBs
    Mohawk Canoe - when all else fails

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year are those? Details?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGreen View Post
    Hi Aaron,
    Cool project, very ambitious. I like these older looper engines too. There are numerous board members on here that have converted these to a variety of fuel injection systems. Once you get some momentum a post in the Project or Technical sections would get more attention.

I have a similar goal to convert an OMC V8 from the same era to fuel injection; not a race engine, but basically to build the best V8 that OMC never did. I don't have a dyno, and outboard dynos (other than K&O hydraulic ones) are non-existent in western Canada, so if you are open to renting time on yours at some point that might be handy.

Matt
    Sorry for the delayed response, got overloaded with work. If you ever get down in the States look me up and we can get something working. I m near Sioux Falls South Dakota. 507-290-0215.

Aaron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year are those? Details?
    1990s. I have serial numbers back home, which will be best for identifying them. They've had serious work done per a mechanic, prior to my owning them. Port motor has a blown cylinder that poked a hole right though the jacket. Still turned over but sitting several years now.

I'm looking to sell the whole package, but I, or next owner, might be willing to part with them.
    WharfRatEric
    Lake Sacandaga NY

Checkmate 220ZT BR - 6.2 Mercruiser
    Liberator 24' Cat - One and a half Johnson 200 OBs
    Mohawk Canoe - when all else fails

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you asking for the whole package?

Aaron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast