Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

225 looper seems to be dropping cylinder mid rpm

Hi everybody!
    Need some help. Got a 23 dusky with a 96 (best I can tell, because they painted the engine and SCRAPED it off the plate) carbed 225 evinrude end of last year. Good cold start but idle was a little high. ran fine up to 2600 rpm then started to miss. With continued throttle and when reaching about 3100 rpm, the miss seemed to go away. It had a broke 17 pitch alum prop but I had a steel 19 so I used that for the time being. It reached 4600. Replaced the plugs (lower cyl looked a tad rich), all filters changed, looked good and no water in fuel. Was not getting full throttle and plates were not closing fully at idle. Rectified that and would not idle. Adjusted the idle but it took to just about the end of its adjustment. Took it out again and it seemed to be worse, now from about 2400 to 3200. checked the timing and it was WAY off. Upon Inspecting things I found a loose flywheel weight. Took the nut off and found spun flywheel. FOUND IT! or so I thought. Fought with that flywheel for 4 days. I had a mint one from a 98 200 Johnson. BRP parts catalog showed they were same number so on it went. Stator and timer looked good. Yesterday test drive still way in on idle timing adjustment 2 degrees at idle, 4 too high, was 16 at 5000 rpm. I upped it to 18. Still have that miss/stumble starting about 2600 and seems to be there all the way up to about 4500. (I do have a steel 17 pitch back on it now)

Where should I go next?
    Thanks in advance....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Start by checking compression, then IMO check with a peak reading meter voltage to each coil. Both ok need to take a close look at carbs making sure clean, float set correctly and all jets are tight. As would have mentioned checking flywheel but sounds like you have a good one now but might still verify magnets are all in correct.

3. Thanks NIGHTFISHER1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks racer, first thing I did when It came home was a comp check. 120 across the board. Since the original post, I pulled all coils and cleaned all connections. 4 and 6 grounds were horribly corroded. Cleaned up nice now. Went for another test ride tonight, Quickest cold start so far, soon as I hit 2400 or so, started missing again. Took a timing light to each cyl. and no breaks in the flash. I shut it off, pulled the flame arrester/airbox, ran it without to watch all the carbs and it ran GREAT. stopped and put arrester back on and ran like crap again. Took box off and drove back to launch without a miss... Thinking I`m a little rich somewhere.

PS, Great idle and only a little smoke on cold start, none any other time. (Amsoil)
    Last edited by NIGHTFISHER1; 05-19-2021 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it is time to look up your carb on the factory site and verify you have the right main jets, if it is a 96 they would be 72D. If a 96 would have an airbox that has 2 thumb screws to hold on. Removing box leans enough that I would be leary to run as could burn it up.

6. Thanks NIGHTFISHER1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a couple people on the site who chased down the same problem and found there to be the wrong jet or jets installed. One fella actually found a carb missing the high speed jet.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

8. Thanks NIGHTFISHER1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, So, Ive been doing ALOT of reading. From what I see, The red lever on my primer is in the horizontal position. Looks like it should be pointed down, parellel with the primer body. The position its in now looks to be in the manual position dumping fuel all the time. I`m going to position properly and test again saturday. Fingers crossed......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That will do it.

11. Thanks NIGHTFISHER1 thanked for this post