Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wicheckmate View Post
    i'd check your tack because you are probably clipping it just barely... I'd bump up to a 24 promax and see what that does as it sounds like you might be a hair on the small side pitch wise
    If you can see 6400, you are on the limiter. The engine will not bump up against a traditional rev limiter that is easy to hear and feel, the computer pulls power before that happens without you knowing. I'd say 2 inches of pitch and let it eat
    2003 Triad RR 280 ROS

2. Likes obrien liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petey View Post
    If you can see 6400, you are on the limiter. The engine will not bump up against a traditional rev limiter that is easy to hear and feel, the computer pulls power before that happens without you knowing. I'd say 2 inches of pitch and let it eat
    Hmmm... maybe that explains it running out of steam at 72.5 mph
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceF3 View Post
    Hmmm... maybe that explains it running out of steam at 72.5 mph
    I have had mine at 6450 rpm and it had to be pulling power but you really can't feel it. I had it trimmed too high and the plate set a bit too high so the slip went to 13% with the 24FS prop. Running at 6250 rpm I hit 72 mph (about 8% slip) and it should not have been pulling power. My 2020 Checkmate is a closed deck but with a liner, so it weighs similar to a BRX. Yours I believe is a non liner boat, and they were lighter even with the bow cut out. Not sure if you can pull 2" more pitch on the ProMax, maybe if you get a labbed 25P ProMax. A 24P ProMax should turn about 6200 rpm on your boat depending on how much it was limiting. A labbed 24 ProMax perhaps 6350 rpm. A labbed 25 ProMax I would guess around 6100 rpm but if it was really pulling power you might get more. They make the Pro Finish ProMax in 1/2" pitches so you can order a 24, 24.5,25,25.5 and so on. The labbed version is available only in 24, 26, 28, and 30"P I believe. Only one way for you to find out. I suppose we could swap props if you feel like it and would probably cost us around $50 each (I am in SC)
    How high were your able to run the engine with the ProMax prop? Did you have it trimmed almost to the max? I was hoping I could jack a ProMax higher than a Bravo 1, but it is only 14.5" diameter vs. 15.25" for the Bravo FS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was running the engine high enough Tuesday to get prop pulse, the water pulse that comes out of your wake when the top of your prop is surfacing. My torquemaster has 5 holes each side and I never saw water temp climb. But it slowed me down. When I lowered the motor a little it was hooking up better.

I have a new B1 FS 23p I'm going to try next time out but the weather is calling for windy here 6 days out. gusting to 20-25. I'd like to get my hands on a PM 24 or 24.5 to try as well.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
    Interesting thread. I have a Key West 210BR (pad bottom bay reef) running a 250 ProXS 4S with a 23P Bravo 1FS and it’s seen 71 @ 6200 (limiter) light and it’s a handful at that speed. I’d love to get together and swap props since my experience with the ProMax on the Talon tells me it may settle my KW down.

There’s also some speed available if you plug some of the holes on the side intakes. The original TM2 lower came with 3 holes per side, they changed that to 5 since a number of the bass boat guys were dragging the lower though weeds and clogging the low pickup and overheating the motor. I plugged the top 2 holes and run it 1” higher than I could before and that got me over the hump from 65 mph to 70. You just have to be careful, running it high for speed will starve the motor in turns real fast. I have an adjustable plate so I run it low most of the time but have a mark on the gauge for balls out
    Mark you are welcome to try my PM if you want to. I have a B1 23

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 24 crawl through with a 300xs. By myself high 70's was the norm with a hydromotive 27p. Borrowed a 28.bblades baster and went just over 80. Torqmaster and 21 inches of set back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happen to know the diameter on the Blaster?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya Randy told me the secret to more speed is more setback. I'm not sure the expense is worth the gain as little as I'd get to go WOT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Happen to know the diameter on the Blaster?
    It was 5-6 years ago, but pretty sure it was 14 3/4

11. Thanks Greg G thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imho that hull needs a flat pad like a 2100. When i had mine built i asked them to put a plug in the mold. They said no after a little consideration. I wish i would have been more persistent as it was 2011 and bad times for boat building, at least at checkmate. A 2100 is easier to drive then a 2400.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like mine. I have 3 holes on each side and it runs the best with the propshaft about 4" below. Go higher and the prop slip goes up and the speed often decreases slightly. The 24P Blaster was terrible on mine, it had 30% slip and turned 6500 rpm but only went 65 mph. You will turn that 23 FS into the rev limiter I believe. Based on what you said, it sounds like the ProMax is definitely better for chine walking. I tried a Bravo 1 26P and could only turn it to 5800 rpm and 70 mph, but almost no chine walking. The Bravo FS has almost too much bow lift, just cruising at any speed below 40 mph I have to run full negative trim to ensure no porpoising. I have 10" setback with an Atlas hydraulic plate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The motor pulls power from 6400 to 6550. You won't feel it doing it. I would prop for under 6400 or you are just going to fight the motor and not realize that it is pulling you back. At 6550 it will shut down and will cut out like conventional motors. The motor shakes really bad when it shuts down at 6550. You will think all hell broke loose.
    Allison XB21 2+2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2400 View Post
    That sounds like mine. I have 3 holes on each side and it runs the best with the propshaft about 4" below. Go higher and the prop slip goes up and the speed often decreases slightly. The 24P Blaster was terrible on mine, it had 30% slip and turned 6500 rpm but only went 65 mph. You will turn that 23 FS into the rev limiter I believe. Based on what you said, it sounds like the ProMax is definitely better for chine walking. I tried a Bravo 1 26P and could only turn it to 5800 rpm and 70 mph, but almost no chine walking. The Bravo FS has almost too much bow lift, just cruising at any speed below 40 mph I have to run full negative trim to ensure no porpoising. I have 10" setback with an Atlas hydraulic plate.
    YES!!!! The porpoising at slower speeds is annoying with the B1FS but the Tempest 23P did it too though not as bad. I may take Trace up on testing his ProMax
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not have the porpoising with the Bravo 1 26P, and it did not have near the bow lift either nor any of the chine walking. The Bravo FS just seems to have a bit too much bow lift on my boat. It does not porpoise with 2 people in the front and 30 mph, but you have to run full negative trim all the time and the bow is still up there. Once you get over 45 it starts to push the bow down good and you have to start using trim to keep it up. At WOT I have often trimmed it to the stops, but that is just a tad too high and you lose about 1 mph trimmed to the stops. On my boat the FS is a good all around prop. I just find the boat / motor combination slow and expected more from the 300R. However, my closed deck is a 2020 with a liner like the BRX and these are heavier. I think Wildman said the liner boats were 3 - 4 mph slower.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I have a 24’ Pulsare closed bow with 300xs/TM. 10” setback on adjustable CMS plate. Mine runs 70mph with 25” Tempest Plus or 70mph with 26” Trophy Plus. Both @6000rpm. The Tempest Plus has uncomfortable chine walk and Trophy Plus is rock steady. So far I agree the boat does not like running propshaft high.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast