Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Exclamation Warning when selling or buying items - PLEASE READ

This applies to anybody that is selling or looking to buy anything here

If you receive a PM from a person claiming to 'have a friend that has one' or 'knows somebody looking for' an item you're selling, be very skeptical unless it's a well-known member here.

Usually, if you're looking for an item, this sort of scammer will send you a PM, indicating that they 'have a lead on' or they 'have a friend' with what you're looking for, and an email address to contact. Do not conduct business this way.

If using PayPal, never ever send money using the "send to family/friends" option. Sellers will sometimes ask this to avoid paying the PayPal fees. Do not ever do this. If you use that option, you will not have PayPal's fraud protection.

Please always be prudent and cautious with any online sale. Whenever possible, use any means possible to verify the legitimacy of a potential transaction. As a rule, when in doubt, pass on the item and report any suspicious messages to me.

For the last several years, I manually approve all new registrations on the site. As you may imagine, that is an extremely tedious process, however it also prevents nearly all potential scammers from entering the forums here. I verify IP address locations, as well as the many patterns that automated registration software uses to scour the internet and target very large message boards like this one. However, inevitably, some of these scammers will slip through the process because a few of them are pretty smart about how they present themselves.

Please PM me anytime with any suspicious activity.

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

2. Thanks SkywayGT, rock thanked for this post
    Likes SkywayGT, rjdubiel, pjbrownva liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good afternoon Greg,
    yes i made a $225.00 donation to jlanasa9090@gmail.com. via Zelle. i was given a contact from someone on the site by the name of scantyarizona@gmail.com. lesson learned. perhaps you can warn the other members.

thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone read this if you buy or sell on here.
    Personally I don't ever trust anyone who has an email as a username...every single one I have run into is a scammer. They also have no posts...maybe one or two. THAT SHOULD BE A RED FLAG TO ANYONE.

Recently we have been getting more of those email guys who say they have what you want or know someone who has what you want etc. Don't fall for it. I've been seeing less overall of the fake "real looking" accounts that post stuff for sale and interact with you like a normal person all the way up till the tracking number of said part, which is good cause those guys are hard to spot if you aren't very savvy.

However, it seems theres a new scam thats shady on a different level. I fell for it once and just last night someone tried to pull it on me again lol. They reach out to you pretending to be one of the members on here that you have been interacting with. Say I'm going to buy a part from Art "KIRCHNER" on here. After we [hypothetically] deal back an forth on a thread and then it comes down to "how do you want to be paid" the scammer slides in and sends you a text saying "just send the money on paypal to [this email] and I will send the part out tomorrow. If you don't back check the phone number and make sure it really was Art or whoever...then anyone can slide in with a phone number or email and make you think they were Art and actually had the part.

Its an extra step having to go back to the for sale thread and make sure the person you are sending money to is in fact the same person, but it is a critical step. These scammers slide in after you have already made a deal on a real part and pretend to be the seller.

With reference to this thread:
    https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...ring-Cylinders
    This is a text I got from someone who was NOT the seller.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231208-112246_Messages.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	527604

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I always contact the seller via PM when I am buying something.....it takes the general forum people out of the equation. If you make a deal out of the eyes of random scammers, then they can't sneak in this way. Not perfect but helps, just my .02
    I have a boat or two.... that I never get to drive

6. Likes rjdubiel liked this post