Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'nother by-pass anda coupla more stints so i'm dancin' a jig nowdazes.... you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isnt that just a spacer? Both sides has it. The parts image also doenst show a sender.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210507_112926.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	421.0 KB 
ID:	486662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210507_112916.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	412.4 KB 
ID:	486663

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they did with early (maybe '80 ta '83 at least) single ram t n t's.....

SWIVEL BRACKET - 1983 Mercury Outboard 200 [ELPT] 1200623 | Crowley Marine
    Last edited by tlwjkw; 05-09-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its been a very long time since i farted with any of the very early stuff and i mean a very long time if im not mistaken ive seen this part wires coming out of it but at 75 years old and not messing with the old stuff in decades i could very well be wrong im still moving Tommy still cleaning injectors and selling more of Mercury stuff off i have so many midsections ill never sell now as well as Oh you know all about
    Last edited by TEXAS20225; 05-09-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the risk if i dont run thermostats and poppet valve? Cold seizure? Wont i get up to temp if i just use it for a recreational day of boating? Or does it needs to be run very hard in order for the motor to get up to temp?

Which termostat and poppet do i need? And where is the poppet? Right side bottom of the block right?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you have seen my thread on the #6 staying cold where I am running a 2.4 ovalport on a 2 pc plate, but I am essentially working through the same stuff you are trying to do right now.

The problem is there is a bigass dump for the water flowing through the block so it tends to flow too much. Not through the Tstat/head, but through the middle of the block. I did some mods to my 1 pc plate and still its flowing a lot of water. I am running 1/8 hole washer in the head and I have no problems with the block filling up, it just doesn't want to get warm. I would guess I am about 110 block temp and the water temp is much less. It is pretty consistent throughout the rpm range.

I am a little low on water pressure even though I am flowing a big volume of water, so I going to try putting a poppet in. Presently I have blocked off the pee hole in the plate and the poppet cover dump, so the only water exiting the plate is through the internal dump down into the can.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excuse the ghetto test hull. But you can see how much water is exiting the tstat covers at idle with 1/8" washers...The block has no problems filling. I just feel it is flowing too much water. Yes, they can cold seize. I make about 3 psi at idle and 9 revved up. I like to see 15 or so at like 4000 rpms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by killerpirate View Post
    Whats the risk if i dont run thermostats and poppet valve? Cold seizure? Wont i get up to temp if i just use it for a recreational day of boating? Or does it needs to be run very hard in order for the motor to get up to temp?

Which termostat and poppet do i need? And where is the poppet? Right side bottom of the block right?
    No offense, but if you need to ask where the poppet valve is I would think twice before trying to set this thing up yourself.
    You bought a complete rebuild motor right? Do you think the previous owner didn't set it up correctly?

In answer to your question: you have to give way more information in order for people to answer your questions.

1) You say the block has been resleeved, is it steel or chrome?
    2) What pistons are in it?
    3) You mention it is on a XR2 mid, but that doesn't say anything (most people think you are talking about the consumer XR2, not racing). Mainly you need to know what adapter plate is in there (two piece, one piece and what variation, size of holes etc).

Normally these engines were supplied on a 2.4 One Piece plate, washers instead of thermostats, no poppet valve and discharge off poppet cover.

You should do a search on scream & fly on cooling setup, two piece plates, one piece plates, steel sleeves, etc etc. You ask a ton of questions, which makes it obvious you are new to this. Would be a waste of a perfectly good 2.4 BP if things go wrong

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Roy,

Thanks for your reply. Good questions and i will try to get some more info. You probably know the old owner (?) I am indeed new to the V6 mercs and dont know very much about this motors history, other then that is has been rebuild and didnt run behind a boat ever since.
    I dont know if the previous owner has set it up correctly. I did not yet check if there are thermostats/engine in the engine.
    The question about the poppet valve was purely asking for confirmation. (I knew it was bottom right on the block, but wanted to make sure).
    As said, i am new to the merc V6 world, just like you when you bought/serviced your first merc V6. However, i think that i am not as beginning as you might think at this moment . I know my way around 2 stroke outboards (i like to believe), but this new high performance stuff is indeed very new to me. I like to learn from the best (and i think those "best" are in this forum, probably including you
    There is still a lot to learn bout the cooling setup on high performance for me, i give you that. I always prefer to keep everything stock, but maybe thats the wrong intention in with this types of engines Again, thanks for your reply Roy, i will check some things and come back to you. Perhaps we will see each other on the next MegaMeeting
    Last edited by killerpirate; 05-12-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw i will try to answer all the above questions later

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2