Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solid motor mount torque

Hi,

Installing some Bobs solid motor mounts on a Mercury v6 and read somewhere that the torque is higher than factory mounts, but don't know the spec.

Thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gudntite will work just fine. U can use ur choice of blue or red locktite if ur worried bout it , solid mounts tend to leak ,so b sure use little extra sealant, around mounts n plate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the bobs mounts to not be a drop in part...
    Had to dress them to fit.. agreed they introduce leaks at that split line. Maybe have to assemble without sealant and test on the hose a couple times to get it right, then final assembly with sealant. Torque of mount bolts affects how the plates fit together.. it can make the mounts themselves roll up out of the pocket, preventing top plate from bottoming out evenly. Dress em and Torque em so they stay seated and the top plate drops on flat and without resistance or it'll leak. Over tighten and the top plate won't go on right. my $.02

4. Likes Merc 2.5 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedOne View Post
    Had to dress them to fit.. agreed they introduce leaks at that split line. Maybe have to assemble without sealant and test on the hose a couple times to get it right, then final assembly with sealant. Torque of mount bolts affects how the plates fit together.. it can make the mounts themselves roll up out of the pocket, preventing top plate from bottoming out evenly. Dress em and Torque em so they stay seated and the top plate drops on flat and without resistance or it'll leak. Over tighten and the top plate won't go on right. my $.02
    I agree. Luckily I got mine on 2nd try

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedOne View Post

Thanks, I see there'll be some fiddlin.... I assume the lower mounts need sealant, and not the uppers? Dress with sandpaper, file? Probably can see the high spots after test fits?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveskimmer View Post
    Thanks, I see there'll be some fiddlin.... I assume the lower mounts need sealant, and not the uppers? Dress with sandpaper, file? Probably can see the high spots after test fits?
    No sealant on lowers, nothing to seal there. I think I recall leaving lowers a little loose, using wood blocks and a car jack to support the mid so the uppers have wiggle room. The uppers are where the fitment and leak concerns come into play. Yes file and sand paper. Sealant = permatex trace the perimeter top and bottom of mid plate gasket. But sealant won't save you if your upper plate don't snap on nice and flush. If you are drawing the top plate down with it's bolts, just stop and redress the bushings. Hence don't put sealant on it and make a mess till you have it right. And remember to finish tighten the lowers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sealant = permatex trace the perimeter top and bottom of mid plate gasket."

So using permatex (#2 ok?) on the gasket surfaces around the mounts only, or the entire perimeter?

This is great information, Thank you. Those lower plates seem quite tight around the mounts and I'm sure I'd have cracked 1 without fitting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveskimmer View Post
    "Sealant = permatex trace the perimeter top and bottom of mid plate gasket."

So using permatex (#2 ok?) on the gasket surfaces around the mounts only, or the entire perimeter?

This is great information, Thank you. Those lower plates seem quite tight around the mounts and I'm sure I'd have cracked 1 without fitting.
    You bet. I think there's differing schools on sealant or no sealant, then what sealant. I successfully used permatex motoseal.

10. Thanks waveskimmer thanked for this post
    Likes waveskimmer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the whole perimeter inner traces and outer so it's an even squeeze. Do bottom, lay it it place, do the top

12. Thanks waveskimmer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other quick note, remember to Install the shift shaft before you put the power head back on & match orientation as removed. And my preference is no permatex on the power head gasket... so if you pull the PH in the future you don't have a mess & can possibly reuse that gasket. Good luck

14. Thanks waveskimmer thanked for this post