Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gasket sealer question.

2006 3 cylinder 90. The water jacket cover over the head of the block, the one the spark plugs go through
    Is there a preferred sealant you guys use on the gasket under that thing
    When I first put it on, I didn't use any sealant, and it poured water around #2 spark plug.
    I pulled it back off, inspected to make sure the surface were clean and no cracks in the cover, and put a coat of Permatex #2 around it. It still leaked.
    I pulled it back off, cleaned it up again and put a straight edge on it, and there was about ,020" gap between it and the sealing surface so I use a 2 pound alignment tool, tapped it down until the straight edge sat on the surface at #2 and had a little clearance at one and three.
    Put Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket and installed it again. Still had a small leak.

I've ordered a new gasket and have another cover I'm going to use. Are there any special secrets I can do to make sure this thing does not leak this time. .
    Keith Jones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Permatex #2, like you said. Gorilla snot. If it doesn't seal with that then it aint gonna seal.

Put the new one on just like you did your last try. If it leaks then somethin is off with block surface and you would have the block off to be surfaced.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I put some 220 grit on an flat, machined straight edge and rubbed over the face of the block and it was rubbing it even all over, so don't think there's a problem with the block. I did notice the rubber baffles were up a little, so I took them down to just below the edge of the block, just to make sure they were not holding it.
    I think if it leaks with the new gasket and cover, I'll just put some Marine-Tex in there for gasket sealer, see if that stops it. (Just Joking)
    Keith Jones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silly question, but do you have the torque sequence for the cover plate?

those diverters should not effect the torque unless they got bent over, but they would have to be out a lot for that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, no I don't. I guess I'm about to here where that's my screw up.
    I've just used my normal procedure of starting in the middle and working in an X pattern up and down to the end. I'm doing 150 inch pounds first pass and 250 the second.
    the first time I only went to 205 inch pounds and 230 the second time and went to the 250 the last time, trying to see if that helped
    The diverters were only sticking up about .020 - 030" and don't feel they were a problem but I was just trying to eliminate them a being a possible problem.

The first time it was a fairly major leak.
    The second time it was a steady stream.
    The last time it was just a few drops at the time. I might could have gone back with a little heavier sealant and it not leaked, but I decided it was time to start over with a new gasket and a different cover. This cover is actually the cover that came off this block. The first cover was off the original block. The block I'm using has been run in saltwater and the original was a fresh water block and the cover looked a lot better.so I used it.

While typing this, I just thought about why it is most likely my problem. They had kept running the original motor with #2 piston coming apart so bad, it bent the rod and broke the top of cylinder off the block about 80% around it. So, that had to hammer that plate out and distort it some and is the reason it wasn't touching the straight edge.
    Keith Jones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself a knife sharpening stone brand new surface the block with that With some parts cleaning fluid or kerosene on it. Then for the case itself get a thick piece of glass I use bulletproof glass tape down a huge piece of sandpaper 120 grit and surface the cover on that when both surfaces are completely flat you are ready to put the gasket and part on. I use aviation form a gasket non drying.

7. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I got the new gasket yesterday and installed the other cover I had and no leaks. After I had the brain fart and realized the cover I used off the original block would have been damaged when they ran it enough to break the dome off the cylinder, it pretty made since it would leak. It's finally all back together, been run an hour at idle in the tank and is ready to go back on the pontoon, as soon as I find a 24' pontoon trailer
    If anyone within a reasonable drive from GA has used a 24' tandem axle pontoon trailer, I sure could use one.
    Keith Jones