Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sportmaster driveshafts

how does the fishing motor driveshaft go in the sportmaster...what needs to be done if anything..besides just replacing it ... i know sporty is dual bearing ..other is single.. also do any of the 3.0 litter driveshafts work in the sportmaster know you have to get a 25inch and have it machined down..if so anyone have the part number for them and they are stainless also dont have to worry about the pitting in water pump area... thanks

2001 american offshore 26 twin 300 promaxs
    2006 hydrostream comp vking horned 225 promax/
    1979 hydrostream vector sold
    1986 23ft twin engine eliminator twin 225 promaxs SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep .. just push the collar off of a single bearing and ... Wa-Laa , you now have a twin bearing shaft ... pretty cheezee , but that's how the Mother Ship played it.

Call Fuller Marine in NJ .. that's where I buy them from .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so just take off the collar of the bearing on the single bearing shaft and ready to go?

2001 american offshore 26 twin 300 promaxs
    2006 hydrostream comp vking horned 225 promax/
    1979 hydrostream vector sold
    1986 23ft twin engine eliminator twin 225 promaxs SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The impeller keyway is different on the 3 ltr and the driveshaft splines. Yes you can have it cut down and the keyway adjusted to make it work. (only dbl bearing 3.0 shafts, they made both)

early single bearing shafts had no collar and you'd have to turn them down to put another bearing on it. Yeah the later single bearing shafts just had a collar you can slide off and put 2 bearings on. Just did that on a late model CLE...it had a dbl bearing shaft in it with a collar. Took the bearing off, collar off, slid the collar on the new shaft and a new bearing: good to go.

Most of the single bearing shaft out there are 1 pc with no collar, but yeah if you order a new one they have a collar. Also: side note, stainless shafts still pit at the water pump, ask me for pics if you don't believe.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who can repair your original rusted Sporty shaft with Inconel, and it will never be a problem again. PM me if you need more info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    The impeller keyway is different on the 3 ltr and the driveshaft splines. Yes you can have it cut down and the keyway adjusted to make it work. (only dbl bearing 3.0 shafts, they made both)

early single bearing shafts had no collar and you'd have to turn them down to put another bearing on it. Yeah the later single bearing shafts just had a collar you can slide off and put 2 bearings on. Just did that on a late model CLE...it had a dbl bearing shaft in it with a collar. Took the bearing off, collar off, slid the collar on the new shaft and a new bearing: good to go.

Most of the single bearing shaft out there are 1 pc with no collar, but yeah if you order a new one they have a collar. Also: side note, stainless shafts still pit at the water pump, ask me for pics if you don't believe.
    Great Scott Marty , get in the time machine .. we gotta go back to 1995 to order a drive shaft that won't work ...

OP realized he needed to do a little trimming and fitting on a 25" shaft to make it work. I even gave him the place to get one from .. and once on the phone , would walk him thru it with ease ..

I didn't really understand what you said .. but I think it was the long version of what I said ...

G. Morgan and I spoke about the Inconel fix a few weeks ago .. that's also a viable option.

I made stubby shaft for Mr. Hensley a few years ago that .. I think went from 2.5 to 3.0L with a slip collar and a couple of cut off's .. only limited by our imagination ..

7. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaz X2 there were quite a few high performance drive shafts that had the collar on them back in the 90's and early 2000's on them, just about all torqmaster had the collar and some of the very last CLE's,( for the last years of cle) and first years of Torqmaster) because all of these cases had same part numbers for components the impellor is of no consequence on the drive shaft , no 3.0 shaft(that i have seen) thats cut for doulble bearing had collar on why would it?? nearly all the case's is machined for dual only now the very early 3.0 shaft were single bearing and some of them had the same splines were same as 2.5- 8- only way all this could be known is be a guy thats 3/4 of a century old and worked on more cases then there are Chins in a Hong Kong telephone directory just my .02