Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on a sleeve that has turned in block

I’m new here, I want to thank everyone in advance for any and all advice.
    Our outboard engine (92 evinrude 60 hp) crapped out last Labor Day weekend. It was running and started loosing power. I backed out of it and it died. We were pulled back to our dock thanks to some nice boaters. I swam the boat into the slip and while inspecting the engine, water dripping from my head sizzled on the upper cylinder. Smoked is what I thought in my head. Once cooled down it would start and I noticed it did have water coming out of the pee tube. I was towed to the ramp and put the boat into storage. Fast forward to this weekend I went and got the engine. I looked into the cylinders with an endoscope for damage and didn’t see any major issues. I did not check compression, there was no cylinder scuffing or damaged pistons. Once torn down the middle cylinder sleeve is twisted in the bore. I’m not sure if it did this when it got hot, or was installed incorrectly (highly unlikely, but the top two cylinders are oversized.030”). My question, can the sleeve be realigned? Does it need to be resleeved? Do all the cylinders need to resleeved? My idea is to bolt the head on (to keep the sleeves from coming out) and heat the block in a grill. Once heated for a while realign the cylinder in question and let it cool. Have the machine shop mill the gasket surface to ensure it’s flat. I will rering the engine, rebuild the carbs, and freshen up anything that needs it. Does this seem feasible or will I have issues? After realignment I will check all cylinders for shape and squareness with a dial bore gauge. If there are any problems with sizing, then I’ll likely have the block resleeved. Thanks all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8638BFD5-DEB7-4F53-9185-ED145C4DDB66.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post some pics of the other cylinders... If the one in the pic is already at .030 i would re-sleeve it, your going to have to bore it anyway due to the scuffing/overheat and moving in the block.. plus it's not easy to go from .030-.040.

3. Likes racer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Yes this cylinder has been oversized .030”. The engine was kinda a cluster of a rebuild I’m guessing. Two of the three cylinders were oversized and one being standard. Yet by the condition of the standard bore piston, it was replaced. I’m adding pictures of the other two cylinders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 132FA475-28C7-41EE-A405-ECD9DFE7F81C.jpg   97A47C0E-D0F6-444E-BBDF-B5E47DC45986.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the lower one has turned quite a bit also, It must has gotten pretty hot... People do re-index the sleeves but if you have to heat the block and then most likely bore it your better off dropping in a new sleeve at that point and going back std size.. when it quit it probably actually seized looking at the bores. Are you premixing/vro looks dry too.
    Last edited by H2OPERF; 04-08-2021 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Yes this cylinder has been oversized .030”. The engine was kinda a cluster of a rebuild I’m guessing. Two of the three cylinders were oversized and one being standard. Yet by the condition of the standard bore piston, it was replaced. I’m adding pictures of the other two cylinders.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the double post. If they all need to be replaced, then bored/honed and replacement pistons/rings bought it probably is not worth me fixing it. I don’t half ass engine builds, so I may look for another engine. This is a 60 hp on a 24’ pontoon, not exactly exciting stuff!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in my book if you have to put pistons/rings/gaskets and the time cleaning everything your in it for quite abit already... so to me going the extra mile and doing it right is worth it. Im not sure if someone has bigger pistons but wiseco only goes to .040 if i remember right and 30-40 wont clean up much and is not easy, that and along with having to heat/ reposition the sleeves chances are your bore will not be true. If your crank n rods are all spotless and the rest of the motors clean its worth rebuilding.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ifin it turned once , it'll turn again. If your gonna put a sleeve in it , might as well put in an oversize one. Better interference fit along with better heat transfer thru 100% engagement ..

10. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I am in no way suggesting doing a halfass job. I came here to get great advice, which I believe I did. I am struggling with putting quite a bit of money into an engine that honestly, I’m not thrilled about. It’s very difficult to find good used outboards, I’ve looked for a couple of years. Covid shot everything up into the stupid price range and I’m left wondering what to do. I got the sleeve out and I don’t see any cracks. I’ll talk to the marine machinist and let him look at what I’ve got. I’ll go from there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know why it it overheated?
    There are a few service bulletins on these blocks re water pump, tell tale location, thermo and spring and larger main jets
    Last edited by powerabout; 04-09-2021 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Covd dibbles on lane3,,,,ya .......put on a real motor.....3.6....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he don't tell you ----> this , times three ....

https://advancedsleeve.com/advanced-...marine-engine/

Then keep lookin ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We have used oversized OD sleeve works good. I was worried about cooling (since sleeve is thicker might hurt heat transfer) but it took 8k every time out no problem.

a buddy overheated the hell out of his 3.0 Merc hurt cyl sleeve turned about 1/4 way around. We pulled piston out through the front. Heated the cyl with acetylene spun the sleeve back with a flat head jammed in the port. Muratic acid cyl quick hone new piston and rings slide it in almost 2yrs ago now he’s stil rigging it’s neck.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's simple enough to put the block in an oven at 450 degrees for about 45 minutes and realign the sleeve. Whether or not it's going to stay there, never have had on turn on me to know.
    The question is, it the block worth it. You might be able to find a replacement block cheaper than resleeving an boring that one.
    I tend to agree with others, I would resleeve all three and bring it back to standard bore while fixing it. The safest bet is to go with an oversize sleeve in the hole that turned but when you start looking at $70 - $120 per sleeve, then the cost of having them installed (unless you a comfortable doing them yourself) and boring and decking the block, that's going to be a fairly expensive operation. Good thing it's not a V6.
    Keith Jones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    We have used oversized OD sleeve works good. I was worried about cooling (since sleeve is thicker might hurt heat transfer) but it took 8k every time out no problem.

a buddy overheated the hell out of his 3.0 Merc hurt cyl sleeve turned about 1/4 way around. We pulled piston out through the front. Heated the cyl with acetylene spun the sleeve back with a flat head jammed in the port. Muratic acid cyl quick hone new piston and rings slide it in almost 2yrs ago now he’s stil rigging it’s neck.
    I could never get away with that ..

Ifin it were me .. the ring would get hung in the port , buckle the rod , send part of it out the front half and the other thru the boost ports , thru the oil tank and cowl and ding the cowl on the other motor ...

18. Likes Dave Strong, H2OPERF liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast