Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resin for Glassing an ABS Plastic Hull

I have an ABS Thermoform Hull that I want to put a single layer of 5.5 Ounce, Dual Twill, Hybrid Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Cloth inside and outside of the bottom. I need the absolute best resin for adhering to the ABS, resiliency and impact resistance. Someone suggested a Low Viscosity (1000 cps) Methyl Methacrylate based resin. But after contacting over two dozen Manufacturers and Marine Suppliers, no one has ever heard of it. I do not know if it even exists. If there is no Low Viscosity Methyl Methacrylate Resin, what is the best Resin to use for adhering to the ABS Plastic?...Thanks, mjac

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABS is easily melted with Acetone so i would think that any resin that can be thinned with it would make a good bond. Dont overdue it though. You may come home to a pile of deformed/melted plastic.
    "The character of a man can be easily judged by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abs is acrylic. Any acrylic can be solvent welded with Mek. I would do a test with polyester using mekp and see how it bonds. I’m no glassing expert by any stretch but have used abs and pvc materials with work for 40 years.

I bet the vinylester I’m using now would bond to it. Derakane. I could test it tomorrow if you like?
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open to any possibilities. Would be interesting just to find out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That doesn't seem like a very good plan structurally. I would think you would be far better off pulling a fiberglass mold off the plastic hull and then laying up a carbon/kevlar hull on that... add real core material where you need extra strength & stiffness.

3-part series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    That doesn't seem like a very good plan structurally. I would think you would be far better off pulling a fiberglass mold off the plastic hull and then laying up a carbon/kevlar hull on that... add real core material where you need extra strength & stiffness.

3-part series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKvDw1E60E
    Of course you are right. But I should of explained better what I am trying to do. When I say “Hull” it leaves the impression of a full sized boat. What these are are ABS Thermoformed Kayaks which are made by the thousands all over the country. They are light, easy to handle, quick, fast, highly maneuverable, hold there shape and finish well, but they are relatively fragile. You can not impact anything with them. They are made for clean water. My boat had its rear keel destroyed hitting the ledge of a waterfall and cracked by just launching it on a roller launch. Instead of just patching it and still have a weak bottom, I wanted to try and put a single layer of 5.5 ounce,Dual Twill, Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Cloth on the inside and outside of the Hull bottom. I do not have a lot invested in the boat so I thought it might be nice to experiment a little bit. So I was going to go all the way with it and then put it to an extreme test. If you can add integrity to the bottom of these boats for a few hundred dollars, it would make them much more versatile.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Factory repairs the thermoform boats with a big hot melt glue gun. Make a patch piece out of what ever you want and glue it down with some good hot melt glue. It's an EVA (acetate) material made for plastics.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    Factory repairs the thermoform boats with a big hot melt glue gun. Make a patch piece out of what ever you want and glue it down with some good hot melt glue. It's an EVA (acetate) material made for plastics.
    I can make a solid repair. But the entire bottom of the boat is weak. It is how they are made for what they are made for. I want to strengthen the entire bottom of the boat and fix the repair. So I thought I would experiment and see if it can be done. The factories use a thick Methyl Methacrylate Adhesive (50,000 cps) and some patch material to do repairs. Most recommend Devcon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, like I said make your patch piece out of what ever and glue it on with devcon etc.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock West Composite has kevlar on "clearance"... which would be more flexible than carbon/kevlar but I would only put it on the outside using epoxy to laminate? I think 2 layers on the outside would be stronger than one inside and one outside?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XstreamVking View Post
    So, like I said make your patch piece out of what ever and glue it on with devcon etc.
    The patch is no problem. I can make a solid repair with a good patch material and Devcon. But the entire bottom of the boat is still weak as demonstrated by the two damages. So it is waiting to happen again. I want to try and develop a process to strengthen the entire bottom of boats manufactured like this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David - WI View Post
    Rock West Composite has kevlar on "clearance"... which would be more flexible than carbon/kevlar but I would only put it on the outside using epoxy to laminate? I think 2 layers on the outside would be stronger than one inside and one outside?
    I think you are right. I never thought of it that way. I will patch the inside using the right cloth and Methyl Methacrylate Resin then put two layers of cloth on the outside. That would have to have more integrity with both layers working together. For this application, you believe a Kevlar Cloth would be superior to a Dual Twill Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Cloth? I have to look into this...Thanks, mjac

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devcon? That’s basically commercial grade jb weld which is similar to marine tex. I don’t see what you have to lose by trying to lay some glass over the thing.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeFever View Post
    Devcon? That’s basically commercial grade jb weld which is similar to marine tex. I don’t see what you have to lose by trying to lay some glass over the thing.

Going to try. Have to settle on the best cloth and the best resin to use. After reading @David -WI post I put in a question to Rock West Composite’s Engineering Dept. as to which cloth would be the best and after almost giving up on a low viscosity Methyl Methacrylate Resin, I MIGHT have a lead on some I got indirectly. We are going to see.

One reason I want to go this way is 3 50ml tubes of Devcon, that is 1.7 ounces, costs over $70. I am just estimating, but to repair the keel and the crack, I think I would need about 12 of those, that would be about $280. Then I would still have a weak hull that has been patched.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devcon is machinable. It’s use is for repairing aluminum castings and whatnot. It’s not sandable I don’t know who suggested to use it but I wouldn’t. It’s far too hard. Maybe they have some different product now but we had a bunch 30 years or so ago. Had this other stuff called belzona molecular ceramic metal. We used the devcon to repair aluminum and the belzona to repair cast iron. Big old electric machinery
    Last edited by LakeFever; 03-19-2021 at 07:33 PM.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast