Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Seastar dealer with knowledge?

Need to place an order but would really like to make sure the details are right. Any vendors here? Steering and jack plate stuff.
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie
    3.75@199mph with LSX power!!!

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We here are much more knowledgeable than ANY dealer.
    Ask away

3. Likes Smalltownbassin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a steering standpoint, BoatSteer are a great resource and more than wiling to just talk about options. http://www.boatsteer.com. For Jack Plates I use https://www.seatechmarineproducts.co...lic-jackplate/. While they aren't an installing dealer they have some of the best prices in the US and a lot of knowledge about the product and are not afraid to reach out to Dometic (SeaStar) when needed.
    Mark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no expert but the 4 sea star systems I've had all had a small amount of side to side slop in them. Each was basically identical. I don't believe it was air as I tried bleeding a couple of them a couple times. The one Uflex I had was rock solid with no slop. I'm going with Uflex for any new systems I buy. AnchorExpress had the Uflex system at $880ish plus hoses put you at $1k. Back ordered.
    Last edited by DangerNewb; 03-03-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - For Sale
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

6. Likes Smalltownbassin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerNewb View Post
    I'm no expert but the 4 sea star systems I've had all had a small amount of side to side slop in them. Each was basically identical. I don't believe it was air as I tried bleeding a couple of them a couple times. The one Uflex I had was rock solid with no slop. I'm going with Uflex for any new systems I buy. AnchorExpress had the Uflex system at $880ish plus hoses put you at $1k. Back ordered.
    I was wondering that about my seastar system. I even bought a hose and fitting kit just to bleed the system of what i thought had to be air in it. Not a single bubble purged and i still have about 1/2 inch of play either way on the cylinder and the helm has about an inch both ways before you can feel it actually push fluid. I was about to start replacing parts! The play in the cylinder is a real PITA especially at idle when she likes to sound good. Dang motor looks like its gonna have a come apart back there but its just the loose sea star cylinder.
    "The character of a man can be easily judged by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalltownbassin View Post
    I was wondering that about my seastar system. I even bought a hose and fitting kit just to bleed the system of what i thought had to be air in it. Not a single bubble purged and i still have about 1/2 inch of play either way on the cylinder and the helm has about an inch both ways before you can feel it actually push fluid. I was about to start replacing parts! The play in the cylinder is a real PITA especially at idle when she likes to sound good. Dang motor looks like its gonna have a come apart back there but its just the loose sea star cylinder.
    Thats not right at all. Theres definately air in there. Did you use a power purger?

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

9. Likes JR IN JAX, 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of mine have moved a half inch at the hydraulic cylinder. I'd say maybe an 1/8 inch total play. 1/8 at the cylinder is a decent about of movement at the rear of the motor. All were close to identical so I chalked it up to that being normal. My uflex didn't move any material amount.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - For Sale
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

11. Likes Smalltownbassin, 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seastar pro has about an 1/8” or less movement after careful bleeding. I didn’t notice any slop feeling at speed it was tight. If it’s bled properly you cannot turn the wheel past it’s lock no matter how hard you try. Bleeding was a challenge and requires a couple cracks at it over a couple days to get the micro bubbles all out.

I posted a link and how to do this here a couple years ago. I can dig it up if you like
    Hydrostream dreamin

13. Likes Smalltownbassin, 25two.stroke liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, I keep looking at the Silversteer too.....decisions!
    TJ @ Baker Engineering
    Tuff 24 300xs
    Tuff 16 90 Yammie
    3.75@199mph with LSX power!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In previous discussion here it was said that the seastar valve switching is what causes this tiny bit of play vs the uflex which is apparently different somehow? Only what I read keep in mind. Brand bias and whatnot is something to consider there doesn’t seem to be a lot of love for seastar brand here. Seemed the same way with etec brp too, and omc.

I can tell you this much I had two rigs with tight dual cable steering and the seastar was superior in every imaginable way imo. A massive upgrade
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InjectorService View Post
    Thats not right at all. Theres definately air in there. Did you use a power purger?
    I used the bleed system kit you can purchase. Its simply a hose with fittings that is connected to both bleed barbs on the cylinder. Once you connect it you have to put another hose on the fill port at the helm with a bottle of fluid attached to let fluid in as the air comes out. I spent 30 minutes turning the wheel several dozen times one way and then the other to push any trapped air to the helm so it could get out. The system was already full of fluid and i never saw a single bubble rise up the fill tube or move from one side of the cylinder to the other. Beats me. I dont have any leaks either. Any thoughts on what the issue could be if its not air?
    "The character of a man can be easily judged by how he treats those who can do nothing for him"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can also force the wheel past full stop either direction in small increments. You think the problem could be bypass in the helm or you still leaning on air somehow being trapped in that wont purge? I guess i could start with replacing all seals anyway even though there aren't any leaks. That's definitely cheaper than a new helm. I don't like the idea of throwing money at something with hopes that it sticks somewhere. Id like to know the issue. How can i post a video here thats not a link to something on the web?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalltownbassin View Post
    I can also force the wheel past full stop either direction in small increments. You think the problem could be bypass in the helm or you still leaning on air somehow being trapped in that wont purge? I guess i could start with replacing all seals anyway even though there aren't any leaks. That's definitely cheaper than a new helm. I don't like the idea of throwing money at something with hopes that it sticks somewhere. Id like to know the issue. How can i post a video here thats not a link to something on the web?
    I'm not a steering expert by any means, but in my personal experience, I used to fight with steering systems and they were really tough to get right. Once I started using the power purger, it went so quick and was so much easier. Its a big expense I know, but I won't be without one again. Now if this is a one off situation, maybe you want to bring it to a shop that has one, or see if you could borrow/rent theirs?

As far as other possible causes of this, I'm not an expert so I will leave it to someone else to answer. Maybe a sticking check valve or something?

Blake

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

19. Thanks Smalltownbassin thanked for this post
    Likes 99fxst99, Smalltownbassin, mjw930 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

21. Likes Smalltownbassin, LakeFever liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 22R View Post
    Yes. Its pretty much the same thing as the hose and fitting kit i bought just for bleeding it. I may have to do what Injectorservice said and take it to a shop. Of course ill try several more times before i do that though

23. Likes 25two.stroke liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast