Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmerc View Post
    Yes I have , , 2/ has sent me a message I’m waiting for his call
    Now not only do we have to deal with scammers but we deal with people using known names to scam other people!? Yes, Rock knows me barely (through a few deals) but I did not sell a "2.5 ss 15 inch mid gear box and cowl"
    I bought one last year but I didn't ever post to sell one.
    My avatar here is my one and only. If anyone ever posts on any sales or social media site and has an avatar with my face or anything it aint me. I don't post pictures of my face on the interwebs. The 24.4 (which is the cubic inches of a 25 hp merc) is my one and only profile pic. Instagram, ebay, paypal, facebook (even though I don't use my account), google, ALL HAVE THE SAME PIC!

I have had dealings in the past with people around this area stealing pictures or going in boat shops and taking pictures of stuff that is not theirs and listing it online. Theres a guy from Fresno that used to come into the shop I work at, take pictures of the motors we have and list them on craigslist. Then when he sold them he would take the people's money and then either not respond or he would come try to buy the motor from us for next to nothing. I have seen some weird stuff for sure.

4. Thanks SkywayGT thanked for this post
    Likes SkywayGT liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you, that ive personally dealt with Jacob Avery, the real one, 25two.stroke, and our transaction went smoothly. Even offered to cover any shipping differences that maybe.

He shipped his stuff on time, without any excuses and any issues.

I think the fella that Madmerc dealt with was someone using jakes name. I just cannot see this guy doing this to anyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 25two.stroke View Post
    Now not only do we have to deal with scammers but we deal with people using known names to scam other people!? Yes, Rock knows me barely (through a few deals) but I did not sell a "2.5 ss 15 inch mid gear box and cowl"
    I bought one last year but I didn't ever post to sell one.
    My avatar here is my one and only. If anyone ever posts on any sales or social media site and has an avatar with my face or anything it aint me. I don't post pictures of my face on the interwebs. The 24.4 (which is the cubic inches of a 25 hp merc) is my one and only profile pic. Instagram, ebay, paypal, facebook (even though I don't use my account), google, ALL HAVE THE SAME PIC!

I have had dealings in the past with people around this area stealing pictures or going in boat shops and taking pictures of stuff that is not theirs and listing it online. Theres a guy from Fresno that used to come into the shop I work at, take pictures of the motors we have and list them on craigslist. Then when he sold them he would take the people's money and then either not respond or he would come try to buy the motor from us for next to nothing. I have seen some weird stuff for sure.

my create got picked up at 13 pacific av rodeo /blue building anyone know this place
    out board repair shop

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post the email associated with that account?

He might be using a fake name I’m not sure yet here was his pay pal details
    Attachment 486440

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, WOW..

Only issue is, that is NOT the real jacob avery (25two.stroke)

Sorry buddy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah weird and his email name was Christian clarke, I have his work address and number won’t answer the phone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that is not my email but it is close to my email...yeah I know that address you listed where your package got picked up.

I remember a local case where this woman somehow found out there was a warrant for her arrest. She was in a criminal justice class with me and we all had to have background checks to be in those classes and go on prison tours. She was training to be a police officer and had not ever had more trouble with the law than a parking ticket. When the professor (also a local police officer) did her background check he notified her that she could not go on the tour and would likely never be able to get a job in law enforcement. She was shocked as she had never done anything wrong. She went to the professor's office hours and they went to the local Sheriff's station and eventually found out that her very own sister had thrown her name out when she (the sister) was arrested for aggravated assault. She later failed to appear for court and thats how the warrant was issued... We live in a messed up world.
    Last edited by 25two.stroke; 05-04-2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: insightful story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why you are concerned about his name, who he is or even trying to contact him.
    When you sent money PayPal for goods or services your money is protected.
    File claim PayPal does the rest that is what fee is for.
    If he is not who he said he is that's PayPal problem.
    My problem is why you waited 5 months

13. Likes Smalltownbassin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took 5 months to ship it to Australia, he didn’t want to do PayPal but I couldn’t wire transfer to his bank so he agreed to PayPal but I sent it as a gift to a relative so no fees but no insurance, so I’m screwed , another lesson just pay the fees .
    I fot and email from Christian last night he does seem legit , hard to prove either way wether the engine was stolen or not . I don’t think I’ll be buying any engines from overseas again I’m 19 k out of pocket now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D148ECC2-4C8C-4744-A836-2E5CF329773D.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	785.8 KB 
ID:	486585I’m pretty sure I’m going through this right now. Guy says I found a motor but call my buddy in Cali as he is selling his. Located in California and will ship now via wire transfer. I’m walking away.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumdumb View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D148ECC2-4C8C-4744-A836-2E5CF329773D.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	785.8 KB 
ID:	486585I’m pretty sure I’m going through this right now. Guy says I found a motor but call my buddy in Cali as he is selling his. Located in California and will ship now via wire transfer. I’m walking away.
    Good idea. Thats one for sure.

17. Likes Rumdumb liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common Features of Phishing Emails

1. Too Good To Be True - Lucrative offers and eye-catching or attention-grabbing statements are designed to attract people’s attention immediately. For instance, many claim that you have won an iPhone, a lottery, or some other lavish prize. Just don't click on any suspicious emails. Remember that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!
    2. Sense of Urgency - A favorite tactic amongst cybercriminals is to ask you to act fast because the super deals are only for a limited time. Some of them will even tell you that you have only a few minutes to respond. When you come across these kinds of emails, it's best to just ignore them. Sometimes, they will tell you that your account will be suspended unless you update your personal details immediately. Most reliable organizations give ample time before they terminate an account and they never ask patrons to update personal details over the Internet. When in doubt, visit the source directly rather than clicking a link in an email.
    3. Hyperlinks - A link may not be all it appears to be. Hovering over a link shows you the actual URL where you will be directed upon clicking on it. It could be completely different or it could be a popular website with a misspelling, for instance www.bankofarnerica.com - the 'm' is actually an 'r' and an 'n', so look carefully.
    4. Attachments - If you see an attachment in an email you weren't expecting or that doesn't make sense, don't open it! They often contain payloads like ransomware or other viruses. The only file type that is always safe to click on is a .txt file.
    5. Unusual Sender - Whether it looks like it's from someone you don't know or someone you do know, if anything seems out of the ordinary, unexpected, out of character or just suspicious in general don't click on it!

5 Characteristics of a Phishing Email

Phishing & Malicious Email Characteristics

Approximately one billion malicious spam emails are sent every day. Whilst some of these messages can be easily identified as untrustworthy, socially engineered emails continue to become more sophisticated in appearance and malicious in content and continue to cause havoc for IT Support companies in Sydney. Below are tell-tale signs and characteristics of phishing attacks.

1. The email makes unrealistic threats or demands.

Intimidation has become a popular tactic for phishing scams. Phrases such as ‘urgent action required’ or ‘your account will be closed’ are common, unrealistic threats associated with phishing messages.
    2. There’s a catch.

The recurring trend of a phishing campaigns email is that eventually there will be a catch, for example you may be asked to send money for expenses or fees. This is an immediate sign that the email is fraudulent.
    3. Poor spelling and grammar.

The majority of socially engineered emails disguise themselves as a well-known company e.g. PayPal, Apple, Facebook etc. However, these sorts of emails are usually littered with poor grammar and spelling errors. This is indicative of a fraudulent email as a multi billion-dollar company would not distribute an email that is in-cohesive.
    4. A mismatched or dodgy URL.

A study by the ABS concludes that 30% of people click links to fake website in untrustworthy emails despite knowing it was most probably malicious. To check whether an embedded link in an email is trustworthy, hover your mouse over it, if the hyperlinked address is not concurrent with the embedded link then it is most likely malicious and going to a phishing website.
    5. You are asked for sensitive information.

Regardless of the sender, you should be highly suspicious of any email that requires you to disclose sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers, account numbers or passwords.
    Most recently, spear phishing emails impersonating Bank of America employees were attempting to extract sensitive information from bank users. Any email asking you to send through information that could be compromised is most likely to be fraudulent and somebody trying to gain access attempting to steal sensitive data.

Last edited by Aaronhl; 05-07-2021 at 04:29 PM.

19. Likes madmerc, mrichartz liked this post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast