Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common Features of Phishing Emails

1. Too Good To Be True - Lucrative offers and eye-catching or attention-grabbing statements are designed to attract people’s attention immediately. For instance, many claim that you have won an iPhone, a lottery, or some other lavish prize. Just don't click on any suspicious emails. Remember that if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!
    2. Sense of Urgency - A favorite tactic amongst cybercriminals is to ask you to act fast because the super deals are only for a limited time. Some of them will even tell you that you have only a few minutes to respond. When you come across these kinds of emails, it's best to just ignore them. Sometimes, they will tell you that your account will be suspended unless you update your personal details immediately. Most reliable organizations give ample time before they terminate an account and they never ask patrons to update personal details over the Internet. When in doubt, visit the source directly rather than clicking a link in an email.
    3. Hyperlinks - A link may not be all it appears to be. Hovering over a link shows you the actual URL where you will be directed upon clicking on it. It could be completely different or it could be a popular website with a misspelling, for instance www.bankofarnerica.com - the 'm' is actually an 'r' and an 'n', so look carefully.
    4. Attachments - If you see an attachment in an email you weren't expecting or that doesn't make sense, don't open it! They often contain payloads like ransomware or other viruses. The only file type that is always safe to click on is a .txt file.
    5. Unusual Sender - Whether it looks like it's from someone you don't know or someone you do know, if anything seems out of the ordinary, unexpected, out of character or just suspicious in general don't click on it!

5 Characteristics of a Phishing Email

Phishing & Malicious Email Characteristics

Approximately one billion malicious spam emails are sent every day. Whilst some of these messages can be easily identified as untrustworthy, socially engineered emails continue to become more sophisticated in appearance and malicious in content and continue to cause havoc for IT Support companies in Sydney. Below are tell-tale signs and characteristics of phishing attacks.

1. The email makes unrealistic threats or demands.

Intimidation has become a popular tactic for phishing scams. Phrases such as ‘urgent action required’ or ‘your account will be closed’ are common, unrealistic threats associated with phishing messages.
    2. There’s a catch.

The recurring trend of a phishing campaigns email is that eventually there will be a catch, for example you may be asked to send money for expenses or fees. This is an immediate sign that the email is fraudulent.
    3. Poor spelling and grammar.

The majority of socially engineered emails disguise themselves as a well-known company e.g. PayPal, Apple, Facebook etc. However, these sorts of emails are usually littered with poor grammar and spelling errors. This is indicative of a fraudulent email as a multi billion-dollar company would not distribute an email that is in-cohesive.
    4. A mismatched or dodgy URL.

A study by the ABS concludes that 30% of people click links to fake website in untrustworthy emails despite knowing it was most probably malicious. To check whether an embedded link in an email is trustworthy, hover your mouse over it, if the hyperlinked address is not concurrent with the embedded link then it is most likely malicious and going to a phishing website.
    5. You are asked for sensitive information.

Regardless of the sender, you should be highly suspicious of any email that requires you to disclose sensitive personal information such as credit card numbers, account numbers or passwords.
    Most recently, spear phishing emails impersonating Bank of America employees were attempting to extract sensitive information from bank users. Any email asking you to send through information that could be compromised is most likely to be fraudulent and somebody trying to gain access attempting to steal sensitive data.

Last edited by Aaronhl; 05-07-2021 at 04:29 PM.

2. Likes madmerc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmerc View Post
    It took 5 months to ship it to Australia, he didnít want to do PayPal but I couldnít wire transfer to his bank so he agreed to PayPal but I sent it as a gift to a relative so no fees but no insurance, so Iím screwed , another lesson just pay the fees .
    I fot and email from Christian last night he does seem legit , hard to prove either way wether the engine was stolen or not . I donít think Iíll be buying any engines from overseas again Iím 19 k out of pocket now
    Did you use a credit card though paypal? if yes make a claim with the credit card company.
    On the way: 2021 Progression 22
    Have now:
    1992 Checkmate Pulse 186, 2003 Mercury 200 EFI. 2018 Kawasaki Ultra LX
    Sold: 1991 POS GW Invader, 1976 Donzi Hornet II, 1994 Formula 232 LS, 2001 Regal 2660, 1990 Formula 206 LS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same just happened to me a couple days ago, posted looking for an offshore mid, member (Drverados) pm'd me to email a johnmellos, this person then emailed me back with pictures of the midsection, this person then said they shipped the item before making the deal, luckily i asked them a question about this mid to see if they had any real knowledge about it and they didnt know the answer, then found out that member (Drverados) is banned. Luckily i never sent any payment. the person i was emailing kept trying to get me to send the payment via a crypto currency transfer which seemed suspicious to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s what happened to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally after being scammed twice now on this site id never buy from overseas again ,and id never buy anything without picking it up in person,im glad people are reading this post and being careful

7. Thanks David - WI thanked for this post
    Likes max kurka, David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stuff happens on all free for sale web sites thats why it is worth it to pay to list anything for sale. Even thought you think its free it truly isn't. Lesson Learned.
    Joshaua A. Dolfi

9. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had nothing but great transactions here on S&F . If I need it bad enough, I pick it up in person with cash no matter where it is in the country. So far, many props and 2 outboards, 0 problems
    1977 Hydrostream Vector 2.5 Promax

11. Likes FAST RALLY SPORT, sonicss33 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one in posting thred

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are always jumping on iso...had a prick trying to sell simon 2.5 alternator!! Scam

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same responder to both my want adds. Buyers beware. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE922562-376C-403C-B1A0-C23168D0319E.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	487046

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatch out, they are out there !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madmerc View Post
    personally after being scammed twice now on this site id never buy from overseas again ,and id never buy anything without picking it up in person,im glad people are reading this post and being careful
    I'm really sorry to hear about your experience but I can confirm there are lots and lots of great, honest members here. Like many Canadian members I buy all kinds of stuff from US members, up to and including boats, and (knock on wood), I've never had an issue. It's really good to do some due diligence on the member and call them to feel them out first. For bigger transactions a ZOOM/FaceTime call is even better.
    Any by the way I've shipped stuff to Australia twice and England once; there are people here happy to do that to help OB enthusiasts in other areas.

Matt

17. Likes keefallan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still at it. John mello was the name used. This guy is quite smooth. And must have access to the engines. He offered to take a picture with the engines and my name? But using same reference emails as have been mentioned in this and other threads. I guess "phil" has moved from Arizona to Toronto LoL. And the price. These engines would be picked up by any dealer for easy more. English good. Too good. Maybe a dealer could check the serial number of the engine in the photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-084253_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	487448 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-084211_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	487450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-084323_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	487449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-024628_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	326.0 KB 
ID:	487451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-084158_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	487452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210523-084323_Messenger.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	487449

19. Likes madmerc liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have nothing but good experiences on here buying parts. I have had no issues. But the men I dealt with are longtime members. You just need to use wisdom. Be leery of those who have no posts in other places......or just joined SF.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7