Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driveshafts for the ssm

So I have a ssm, square back cavitation plate, no shim inspection port. It came to me with a broken driveshaft, and a new driveshaft. I got the driveshaft installed (old one and new one looked and measured identical, but when I went to install the upper gearset, the gear will not go over the driveshaft splines. Looking at the splines, they come to a point, whereas the broken driveshaft splines are square at the tip. Od is slightly larger also on the splines area. So I assume I installed an mc1 driveshaft?? Will the #4 or 6 driveshaft fit this gearcase? It's going on our t2x. Or if someone has a good used driveshaft that would be great. Thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210207_232218386.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	482209
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellllll I see your problem.......Thats an OMC drive shaft. You could never put in a MC1 they are a Bit larger. Does it have a flat or slot for the water pump?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Wellllll I see your problem.......Thats an OMC drive shaft. You could never put in a MC1 they are a Bit larger. Does it have a flat or slot for the water pump?
    Flat spot, and correct spline for mercury. I pulled it back apart last night, and compared both, it appears that one machining step was left out of the new driveshaft, everything else measures the same, spline area is .060" larger in diameter. It's going in the lathe today.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Get your wife to look at it for you, your glasses aren't strong enough

5. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea.... I see the Flat.........Just was thinking it might have been a early one..... w/slot......don't know if they made em with slots..........

7. Likes mrcrsr liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had same problem, flat gears would not fit on splines, found out after I got prop shaft , gears installed, shimmed, etc., I was putting one together with parts from all over the place, thought everything was interchangeable, maybe different vendors made them from different years, had to take it all apart and turn splines down a bit, then it fit, lesson learned, dry fit everything, assume nothing...

9. Likes crazy horse liked this post