Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM AFM again

My boss's truck. 2008 Chev pickup, 5.3 with AFM. 2 years ago, we put in a new cam and lifters. Been running good other than burning oil, but that is another issue.

The other day it started making a loud metallic noise, louder than it did with bad cam and lifters. Noise would come AFTER the oil pressure came up. Also had a misfire. Sounded like it was in the middle of the engine. Pulled the valve covers and watched the rockers as we cranked, but not start the engine. 1 rocker arm would stop moving after we gained oil pressure. Assumed a failed lifter, so we pulled one head off (the side with the rocker that stopped moving) and inspected the lifter in question.... all looks good, pin is not stuck, roller and skirt pristine, cam is good...

So off to the internet.... after reading some, am on the fence with the VLOM having a bad solenoid (original VLOM). The only reason I assume it is not a bad solenoid is because I would think 2 lifters would have unlocked. Does one solenoid control 2 lifters? If so, maybe the other lifter is seized and I still have a bad VLOM solenoid?
    I would have to hate to put this back together with a new VLOM and still have a problem where I have to tear it apart again.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I worked on we pulled the valley cover off and used a pushrod through the oil hole over the lifter to get it to pop back down. Then we disabled the afm entirely with a tuning suite. Runs fine now just no afm
    Hydrostream dreamin