Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you feel when a seller won't give you the HID, trailer VIN, or motor serial ?

How do you feel when a boat seller won't give you the HID, VIN, or motor serial?

It makes me apprehensive. Especially when the boat is too far away to go see.

You can literally walk up to a boat on the trailer at McDonalds or Walmart and get this info and it's worthless in most cases. Why would a seller not be willing to share this?
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

Checkmate Pulsare 2100 with a 2017 Merc 250 Pro XS

2. Likes Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eh I usually don't. If they want to come in person and look fine, some years ago an associate had false police reports of stolen merchandise made up on him from an supposed over the phone sale. It's kind of a half dozen 6 of the other thing with me, plus it weeds out prop spinners.

4. Likes XstreamVking, OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case I want to know as much as possible about the boat before I buy. That includes what my insurance company is going to say about it and the value they're willing to cover. When I bought the 2007 Liberator a few years ago I couldn't get it insured for what I spent. They had a cap on the value.
    \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\/// \\\///

6. Likes XstreamVking, Forkin' Crazy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd expect him to be even more difficult to work with in person if he won't give you the that type of basic info over the phone...Do you think he is hiding something like not having the right paperwork or is he actually concerned about sharing that info because he believes you might do something bad with it?

Even if he gave you the info it doesn't mean it's correct or there there wont be future problems.

I talked to a guy selling a boat on the phone one day and confirmed he has the boat title and trail registration, ALSO that they were IN HIS NAME. So I drive 3-1/2 hours to see him to find out the title and registration is in someone else's name from 3 years back. Apparently he is the second owner since the one listed on the title...so I got an bad feeling and left the boat there. Now I will want a picture of the title before I make a trip like that.

8. Likes XstreamVking, rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before I knew anything about streams I used to ask for the hin so I could use the decoder and was often told to pound sand. Can’t say I liked it but I can understand keeping info private. I never bought any of the boats that I asked for an hin and was denied either if that’s worth anything. It all comes down to how bad the seller wants to move it. If they want it gone it’s best to be a helpful agent in the sale process rather than throw cold water on a potential sale.
    Hydrostream dreamin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone with mercnet access can gain information off engine serial numbers as well...though very isolated in incidents there has been issues with that. Which is why you se OD123XXX in ads. It's a ****ed up world out there and not getting any better

11. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are they from Miami? Just sayin....

'95 STV "The Blue Goose"

13. Likes JBS liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually yes, they are from Miami. And a S&F member.
    Last edited by TraceF3; 01-22-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ask for the registration number, then walk next door to the marine police station to verify it's not stolen and get the owner's name. I know the guys there, but most cases, if you just say you want to buy this boat and want to be sure it isn't stolen, the cops will do it for you.

So, if a seller won't give you the info, just say you only wnt it to be sure the boat isn't stolen. If he hangs up on you, it wasn't meant to be.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

16. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceF3 View Post
    Actually yes, they are from Miami. And a S&F member.
    Give me the guy's address, I'll go down there and take a pic of the HIN for you....... LOL
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

18. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most people want to know if the hull has any stress cracks, chips in the gel, what type of steering system, hours on the motor, condition of the trailer axle, tires, bunks, etc.

But nooo, you of twenty some odd boat sales under your belt , skips the what am I getting for my money part and only wants to know .. about the stuff you deal with at the tag agency .. your bass~ackwards style .. is the one raising red flags.

Anyone that can read .. can see your referring to the boat "Wavey" is auctioning off on his new web auction site.
    He stated : when the motor was put in service, how much wty is left and that he has a clear title for all. Do you think he would be willing to risk his reputation and therefore his two "web businesses" and his "personal freedom" for the next ten years, by selling you a stolen boat .. ???

Perhaps if you went on his site, you would see a article, write-up on the project.
    (Who in their right ******* mind would do that with stolen merch.)

My guess would be, while the boat is fresh in peoples minds that read his page, it would add to it value and recognition. Then he would use it to be the first boat to roll across the block of the auction site.
    Then I'm betting a canoli' he'll use the money to launch the next "project-write-up"

If it was me, I'd say cash only .. and please post bill : serial numbers, year, minting location .. and make sure you bring enough to pay the taxes, title transfer fee's and tags. Cuz it ain't leaving my possession until it's paid for and all legal matters with the state are complete. Lets call jumping thru all those hoops .. the moron tax

20. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Most people want to know if the hull has any stress cracks, chips in the gel, what type of steering system, hours on the motor, condition of the trailer axle, tires, bunks, etc.

But nooo, you of twenty some odd boat sales under your belt , skips the what am I getting for my money part and only wants to know .. about the stuff you deal with at the tag agency .. your bass~ackwards style .. is the one raising red flags.

Anyone that can read .. can see your referring to the boat "Wavey" is auctioning off on his new web auction site.
    He stated : when the motor was put in service, how much wty is left and that he has a clear title for all. Do you think he would be willing to risk his reputation and therefore his two "web businesses" and his "personal freedom" for the next ten years, by selling you a stolen boat .. ???

Perhaps if you went on his site, you would see a article, write-up on the project.
    (Who in their right ******* mind would do that with stolen merch.)

My guess would be, while the boat is fresh in peoples minds that read his page, it would add to it value and recognition. Then he would use it to be the first boat to roll across the block of the auction site.
    Then I'm betting a canoli' he'll use the money to launch the next "project-write-up"

If it was me, I'd say cash only .. and please post bill : serial numbers, year, minting location .. and make sure you bring enough to pay the taxes, title transfer fee's and tags. Cuz it ain't leaving my possession until it's paid for and all legal matters with the state are complete. Lets call jumping thru all those hoops .. the moron tax

C'mon Chaz man.... we are talking Miami here.... You're a smart fella, you know the crap that has happened on this site. Someone signs in, puts up an ad and screws a bunch of people.... they don't care about "reputation", all they care about is the green. Yes, we do care if the boat is trashed or not, but at the same time, we don't want to end up in jail and lose our money because we are in possession of a stolen boat with a $50 million dollar lien on it.......... (a little off the far end, I agree)

As far as your comment on transfer.... let me tell you a TRUE story. Friend of mine..... actually best friend.... Had my boat before he gave it to me..... Motor blew on it back in '01, he buys a bass boat with a good motor on it, sells the bass boat with old blown motor on it and just hands over the signed title. Buyer takes the boat, pulls the motor and all good parts then drops the boat out in the middle of nowhere. A year later, my buddy gets a call from FWC saying his boat is on the side of a dirt road out in the everglades (no trailer) and it's his responsibility to go get it out of there..... Buyer never transferred the title. He and I had to go out and get the thing, cut it up and find a few dumpsters to throw it in..........

It happens if you're not careful.
    Last edited by flabum1017; 01-22-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not doubting the 1% do that ...

I am however standing firm on my .. no, I'm stepping up to two canoli's to one, that this is the boat we are talking about ...

https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...up-for-auction

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/cate...ject+Activator

Chaz = waitin on ... Show me the ******* money, and where it came from

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh I didn't do any research.... you got me LOL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Chaz = waitin on ... Show me the ******* money, and where it came from

My money is in the bank.... forgot to take pictures..... got it from working..... you ain't getting a picture of my account number

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast