Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good deal?

1985 Marlin low profile open bow 21’ (though I believe its really a 20).. topside looks brand new, bottom side reveals no scratches (in pics), comes with bimini top. Interior was redone at some point and the owner actually took the pride to rebuild it with sport seating rather than being the typical dumbass that sticks fishing boat seats in ... (ARGHHHHH)...

200hp black max. Owner claims 65-68 mph which is faster than I need to go that close to the water.

$4500.

I’ve waited and waited to find a Chris Craft Caper or a reasonably priced Glastron CVX20 and it just isnt happening.

I’ve seen Marlin’s around here and there - definitely not a boat common around my parts but I believe they were popular on the west coast.

Would love to hear any comments good or bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy this boat already?

Sure, 4500 can be a good price. Motor runs good, trailer in good shape, but then the boat is the thing that you really need to dig into to see what is going on. Interior may be re-done but what shape is the core in? If you can get it going 65+ and it has a bad core, you might be in for a (bad) surprise one day.

Something that old is always a crap-shoot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have not bought it yet. meeting the guy at Texoma tomorrow to look it over and weather permitting do a lake test. Will not give him a penny until I get the numbers from a compression test. if the floor has been done with anything but marine carpet and if there are any squish spots I wont touch it either. for $4500 I am not interested in taking a wrench to it to get it into safety shape. From what I was "told" he is the second owner and #1 was a freak about the boat. I can sorta believe it because the EXTERIOR certainly looks the part.

I've bought and sold boats quite a bit - so I know to look for a few things.. I was more curious if the Marlin brand was a worthy base. That style was common on the west coast in the 80's (and 70's??).. I'm guessing its just a splash of a tahiti or sleekcraft or something. Marlin is not a household name in Central Tx anyway..

Thanks for the reply! Will keep the collective informed. Will also grab some super high-res shots of the boat tomorrow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to Lowes and buy a moisture meter. $50. Check over the entire boat with particular attention to the transom and bottom.
    Bullet CC w/ 225 Promax - Sold
    STV ProComp w/ 225 Promax
    STV Procomp with 280
    25 Liberator "The Battleship"
    Blazer 650 Pro Tour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weather for Texoma looks pretty good for the next few days so dont skip the lake test!!! It can reveal things that an inspection might miss. Plus you get a much better look at the trailer when the boats off it.
    limited skills

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He dropped the price to 4k today. Yea I bought it. Cowl was cold as ice and he cranked the motor for about 8 seconds and it fired off.

Stress cracks on the bow, not a single other thing to be found body wise. Interior is as to be expected for an 1985 boat...floor has a small mush spot. Nothing anywhere near other boats I’ve owned have had - which is not really an excuse - but I really REALLY want to get on the water this spring.

Hires Pics soon.. Trailer has new bearing buddies, new tires, has recently been painted and only found a small rust spot..

7. Likes Capt.Insane-o, 89LASER, sonicss33 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pics as promised...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00131.jpg   DSC00133.jpg   DSC00126.jpg   DSC00125.jpg