Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early 90s WMH Carb Pumps Question

So I got some carbs they are are a matching set WMH 12, 12-1B, 12-2B, 12-3B They are on a 1993 135hp based on the serial number. I don't think they are original to the engine because they have the bigger bottoms with the accelerator pumps, which from what I could research they are early WMH carbs from 90-91. The pumps on each of the carbs have been removed so each just has an open hole.

What purpose do the accelerator pumps have? And can you run the carbs successfully on a 135 without them? What else should I know?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tha pumps were a pia.. reason for only a coupla years.. never really understand "what" their function was supposed ta be?.. heard all kinds of stories?.. think tha pumps were deleted in '92 but tha pump castings remained on some of tha early ('92 up) wmh's... all original wmh's ('90/'91) had them.. '93 should not have had functional pump but could have had castings for tha pump?.. ran several "pumper wmh's but removed all pump linkage/parts and epoxied up tha hole... they work jus fine that way..

12's are supposed ta be on tha 135's.....

3. Likes TEXAS20225 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply...I see the wider castings with the bowl, but no holes that go back into the carb. only one hole at the bottom maybe so water doesnt get trapped in, not sure what I would epoxy?

Do you think I could take the bottoms off a set of WMH 28 carbs and put them on the WMH 12 to remove the accelerator piece? If you said they work without the pumps maybe I should leave them that way. Any risk of running an engine lean without the pumps?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tha earlier ones ('90/'91) that had a functional pumps had a hole that connected to tha carb bowl.. thats when ya use tha epoxy.. ones like yours ('92 up) do not have tha hole completely through to tha bowl.. no epoxy necessary... no reason ta change anything... you can use those as thats what came on your motor...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    tha earlier ones ('90/'91) that had a functional pumps had a hole that connected to tha carb bowl.. thats when ya use tha epoxy.. ones like yours ('92 up) do not have tha hole completely through to tha bowl.. no epoxy necessary... no reason ta change anything... you can use those as thats what came on your motor...
    Ok here is a picture of the accelerator part, can you confirm this is where you plugged it up and mine has it cast closed, see picture below

And will the carbs work well on a newer 135hp with the same block, just 3 years newer? They are on a 1992 135 now but I want to put them on a 1995 135. Both are 135hp AA blocks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	480728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	480729

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are "blanks" so ta speak.. no epoxy needed... tha "hole was never machined" inta casting!!! they wanted ta use up what they had already produced and figured out that they could do it by not making tha pump functional but could still use tha carb body... they were NEVER operational pumps.. they were cast into tha bodies but NEVER used because merc determined they gave more problems than they solved.... forget they are even there..

if they are 12's they will work on any 135....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlwjkw View Post
    those are "blanks" so ta speak.. no epoxy needed... tha "hole was never machined" inta casting!!! they wanted ta use up what they had already produced and figured out that they could do it by not making tha pump functional but could still use tha carb body... they were NEVER operational pumps.. they were cast into tha bodies but NEVER used because merc determined they gave more problems than they solved.... forget they are even there..

if they are 12's they will work on any 135....
    Awesome thank you for the confirmation and knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally get my answer . So, I have 1991 Mariner 175hp, WHM 2 Carbs with accelerator pumps. The cups are shot , springs worn, and parts are hard to find. I will delete the pump . What would you suggest if any in the jetting changes needed after the delete . Also, what would be the best epoxy to use to fill the holes. many Thanks.