Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They probably had to limit the acceleration to keep from snapping prop shafts--sound familiar?
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

2. Likes Glasstream15 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The electric engine is the easiest part. Any company can come out with a 350hp electric outboard within a couple weeks if needed.

The reason that no one has is because of battery technology. Once batteries catch up with outboards, electric engines will take over gasoline in a heart beat. Battery technology is the only thing holding us back.

4. Likes mjw930, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
    The electric engine is the easiest part. Any company can come out with a 350hp electric outboard within a couple weeks if needed.

The reason that no one has is because of battery technology. Once batteries catch up with outboards, electric engines will take over gasoline in a heart beat. Battery technology is the only thing holding us back.
    agreed, batteries need to be 10 x better than today, thats a huge jump
    Remember when you could walk to your dinghy with the 4hp over your shoulder and the gas in the other hand and go boating all day.
    When you can do that with electric i'll be sold
    Last edited by powerabout; 01-08-2021 at 07:30 AM.

6. Likes Glasstream15, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now is the motor DC? If so you wouldn't need a shiftable gearcase, take your hand off the throttle, neutral, reverse polarity, reverse. Slap a speedmsater gearcase on it, take the slow accelerate resistor off and let it eat.

8. Likes Glasstream15, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...think about how fast that boat will go to the bottom of the river...

10. Likes XstreamVking, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I keep looking at hydrogen as an ultimate fuel source. It is cost prohibitive now. IF they could develop a reliable hydrogen production unit that is compact the result would be energy from a direct source. Similar to what Tesla was talking about. This battery stuff is just a folly and will never replace combustion since it takes combustion to charge the batteries no matter how far battery tech goes.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

12. Likes FUJIMO, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...stream, as an ex-car development nut from 30 plus years ago...one(of many) vehicles that ford prototyped, was a hydrogen car, with its exhaust being only clean water, beyond clean fuel source, i too have always kept hydrogen in my head as the only way to go... just wish the bomb factor didn't scare people...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 01-08-2021 at 09:40 AM.

14. Likes XstreamVking liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can run that electric motor direct drive to the lower unit and do the forward and reverse in the controller. The battery is the issue. The power density is not good enough.
    http://i35.tinypic.com/epn6ma.jpg

Just a little Cat.

24 Twister V8 E-Rude (For Sale)

2008 Concept Sport Deck 2x 300X

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One day the battery will be good enough. Look at computer memory as an example. The cost and size of 1TB 30 years ago compared today. It is a quantum leap forward and in 30 years I suspect the same for battery technology.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If we are running batteries in 30 years, that would be a shame. In 30 yrs we should be operating on scalar waves. And have "point of use " energy generation.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

18. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mr. Penguin.

I believe you are correct. This is the dream I had last night...

I'm ordering my Brushless Electric 400HP 15" drag outboard with its water cooled battery and charger.
    7 year warranty. 3yr gear lube change intervals. 3yr maintenance cycle. $9995.00+ tax, destination fee & installation.

Total installed weight including battery of around 375 - 425 lbs. I am told to expect a 100% 6 hr duty cycle rating at full throttle. Full 1 hr recharge with 110V AC at a 15 amp draw. I'll be ready to go in 1hr. Perfect!

Full gear ratio selections available. Sport master style gear case with a 150 MPH rating. Steering column paddles for Trim/Tilt, Jack Plate and gear shift are standard. Optional steering column paddle throttle over standard foot throttle. All my aftermarket and Mercury HP Props will bolt right up. Easy to install custom driveshafts are available. Multi engine counter rotation at the push of a button on MFD. Integral Power steering standard. 1 waterproof plug in harness controls all engine functions. Bolts up to current standard transom bolt patterns.

Standard MFD style gauge pack. Standard 110 VAC portable factory approved integral water cooled full wave rectified charger to be included in my purchase price. NEMA style backbones are not required. Every waterproof electrical connection and harness is shielded and RF noise protected.

The battery is new style super capacitor technology about the size of a 20 gallon fuel tank. It is a no maintenance water jacketed unit with integral cooling and heating for optimal performance. Coolant is anti-freeze protected. Plug and play installation.

I'd also be looking at optional sound system with headphones including a 2.5 drag sound track that plugs into the standard HDMI cowl jack. This systems sound is matched to throttle inputs to satisfy my needs for that 2.5 Mercury sound I am addicted to. Sound track Rpm ranges from 0-12,500 RPM. Actual electric motor RPM is not disclosed. Electric powerhead is a no tamper sealed unit. Optional higher horsepower cell phone WiFi upgrades to 600hp are available with serious warranty restrictions.

My noise conscious Lake neighbors will be delighted to only hear a small hi pitched wine as I go by. I'll listen privately to my bitchin 2,5 drag sound track as I mash the throttle.

I enjoy trouble free 8 second 1000 ft, 110MPH runs as I destroy all current watercraft challengers.
    Last edited by scott reierson; 01-08-2021 at 04:24 PM.

20. Likes Lake X Kid, Brad Zastrow liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is great visual example of the cost per GB and the crazy change in price. I keep looking forward to the future. In 20 years, I will be able to afford one of these crazy quad engine CCs. I am just afraid of what a gallon of fuel will cost.

The advancement in technology have been breathtaking. I just wish that I could afford it. If a 450R Mercury in my price range, I would love it.

https://mkomo.com/cost-per-gigabyte

22. Likes Lake X Kid, scott reierson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble with hydrogen is that it’s storage medium, not a fuel. It takes energy to make hydrogen. I don’t know if the overall process is more or less energy efficient then using batteries. I do know that today most hydrogen comes from oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they should ditch the batteries and use a very long waterproof extension cord?
    Seriously though, I’m all for advancement of science, as longer as it isn’t driven by some gimmicky PC bull**** agenda. Like we have a bunch of idiots down here running around in Tesla’s turning up their noses at my gas guzzling vette, “championing’” their green agenda, but yet they charge their cars up from the same diesel powered generation that everyone else here uses. Go figure.
    Battery technology is all the craze now, which is fine, as long as we don’t destroy the world try to extract lithium like the so-called “green” folks say we’ve been doing for the last century with “fossil fuels”...
    I’m hoping that some genius will figure out a way to harness ordinary salt water generated electrolysis and amplify it significantly to power an outboard motor that looks like a Merc 2.5 and sounds like an OMC looper with an open exhaust.
    Imagine using the electrical energy that would otherwise eat up your nice SS prop to spin it a bajillion RPM instead? How frickin cool would that be, eh?

25. Likes kelvin523, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CI STV View Post
    I’m hoping that some genius will figure out a way to harness ordinary salt water generated electrolysis and amplify it significantly to power an outboard motor that looks like a Merc 2.5 and sounds like an OMC looper with an open exhaust.
    Imagine using the electrical energy that would otherwise eat up your nice SS prop to spin it a bajillion RPM instead? How frickin cool would that be, eh?
    Free Energy from the oceans salt water.

J P Morgan, Rockefeller, Edison, King Saud and many others (except maybe Nikola Tesla) are turning in their graves.

The Merc Inline 6 with a single exhaust pipe had a nice sound too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast