Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suburban vibration

I have a 2008 Suburban. I bought it with 36,000 miles on it, has 130,000 on it now. Ever since I have owned it, it has had a vibration at about 40 -45 mph. It's not a wheel or front end problem. I'll be driving along 40 - 45 mph and it will start vibrating like a missfire, but if I let my foot off the gas and re-apply, the vibration goes away. It does not happen all the time, it's sporadic but only at that speed.

A couple years ago, I did an AFM delete (new cam, lifters, sent out the heads, removed all the AFM hardware and had the computer flashed). It has new spark plugs and the engine check light never comes on. I've scanned it for codes and there are none.

Any ideas?
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best thing would be to do a snapshot/freeze frame with your scan tool(if it has the capability) when it's actually doing it.It would probably point you in the proper direction to cure it.Did you try googling your issue?
    If I knew it was going to last this long I would have taken better care of it.

Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CVX20SPRINT View Post
    .Did you try googling your issue?
    Yes, a lot of replies were pointing at the torque converter, but there didn't seem to be any of them resolved. Of course the usual replies like "get your tires balanced, get new spark plugs etc.... " but it's not a misfire. I really have not worried about this since there are no other problems... truck runs, shifts and tows strong. I decide that I'd look into it to see if there is a simple fix. I have a friend with the same truck and the same issue. He's had the transmission replaced, new coils and plug wires, new injectors, TB cleaning.... you name it and he still has the issue. I'm wondering if it's in the programming of the torque management and if disabling it would solve the problem.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balance the driveshaft yet?
    This a 2wd 1500?
    Hanger bearing if applicable?
    Last edited by FMP; 01-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think disabling it would be a good idea unless just for test purposes.It was kind of funny when I was working at GM years ago I was the Tranny guy and a real good friend was the driveability guy.I also did driveability when I wasn't knee deep in tranny's.So he'd get a vehicle in with a complaint like yours,take it out for a road test,bring it back and tell the service manager it was a trans issue.It'd land in my bay and I would do my road test and come back and say no it's not.My point is that a driveability issue can easily look like a trans problem and vise versa.Even with a bunch of new tune-up pieces you could still have a partially plugged injector or a dozen other issues.Sorry not being much help,just throwing it out there.If others have replaced the trans and converter and didn't cure it then you gotta look elsewhere.Saying all that you could be right about programming.Aftermarket programmer might be a cheap way to go.
    If I knew it was going to last this long I would have taken better care of it.

Chris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What gear is it in when this happens? What is the RPM? Is the converter locked in overdrive already at that speed? Might just be lugging the engine there. If you have the ability to force a downshift or choose what gear you are in I would suggest running it in the next lower gear at those speeds and see if you still have your problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many trans were replaced because the converter was locking up on top gear at under 1000rpm? Better send it to the trans guy for a road test!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
    What gear is it in when this happens? What is the RPM? Is the converter locked in overdrive already at that speed? Might just be lugging the engine there. If you have the ability to force a downshift or choose what gear you are in I would suggest running it in the next lower gear at those speeds and see if you still have your problem.
    Does it at 40 - 45 mph, I assume it goes into overdrive at that speed, I don't feel it shift from gear to gear unless I stand on it.

I'll check what the RPM is next time it happens. Lugging sounds more like the description of what I feel.

I guess I could hit the trailer switch to force it not to go into overdrive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I assume it's not an engine problem is because it never throws a code. I tried a few times to just let it keep happening to see if it would throw a code, but it never did.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FMP View Post
    Balance the driveshaft yet?
    This a 2wd 1500?
    Hanger bearing if applicable?
    It's smooth all the way from zero to 98 mph (limiter still active), it only happens occasionally at 40 - 45 mph.

I have been under the truck and everything is secure, put new mounts (all three) when I had the engine out 2 - 3 years ago.

This has been happening since I've had the truck, got it with 36,000 miles on it still under warranty. Took it to the dealer while it was still under warranty and they kept saying they could not replicate the problem, so I just gave up on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CVX20SPRINT View Post
    Don't think disabling it would be a good idea unless just for test purposes
    I keep reading online different opinions on that, some say disabling it gives better fuel mileage, but you feel it when you shift.... not a smooth of a ride.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a fair bit of driveability work, have seen a lot of strange stuff. A vibration analyzer would help narrow down the source of the concern. If it happens at 45 it likely happens somewhere else as well (90 or 22.5), but maybe undetected by the seat of the pants. I have seen driveshaft angle and out of round crown gears with similar complaints. Take it to a shop with a vibration analyzer, get a recording, and if they aren't sure where to go with it, post the findings.
    1989 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
    1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

13. Likes Dave Strong, XstreamVking, tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvette View Post
    I do a fair bit of driveability work, have seen a lot of strange stuff. A vibration analyzer would help narrow down the source of the concern. If it happens at 45 it likely happens somewhere else as well (90 or 22.5), but maybe undetected by the seat of the pants. I have seen driveshaft angle and out of round crown gears with similar complaints. Take it to a shop with a vibration analyzer, get a recording, and if they aren't sure where to go with it, post the findings.
    If it were a constant vibration, I would tend to think that, but it is very sporadic.... happens maybe once every 50 - 100 miles...... I cannot replicate at will.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, guess I missed the intermittent part lol... Still, if you knew what frequency the vibration was at the given road speed, engine rpm, trans gear, torque converter state, that would go a long way.
    1989 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
    1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

16. Likes Dave Strong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rotate the drive shaft 180 deg. Check diff for metal...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos