Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimax Fuel & Air Pressure Gauge Set Alternative

I find people often have a hard time diagnosing the Optimax fuel systems. This is usually paired with a lack of tools, and not wanting to buy a $600 set of gauges.

I'm wondering what you guys would be willing to pay for a set of Optimax fuel and air pressure gauges. These gauges would be very similar to the Merc gauges, but with a few differences.

1. There would be no quick disconnects, I just don't see the need for them.
    2. The aluminum body would be HDPE. I'm thinking about doing this for a few reasons. One being cost, the other being it is easier to work with, and won't scratch paint etc.

The hose length would be the same as the Merc gauges, I could always do custom lengths, maybe something long enough to view at the helm?

The gauges would be the same exact ones as the Mercury gauge set. No cheap knockoffs. I also want to have the option for a 4" gauge size, up from 2 1/2"

You could use these gauges on any outboard, but they are specifically designed for Optimax motors.

Here is a picture of the factory Merc gauge set. As I said, mine would be very similar in appearance.

Let me know your thoughts on these. If your seriously interested pre-orders would help with the first run of these.

Blake

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

2. Likes Headless Hula liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious to know your price point before committing. Thanks. PM if you don’t want to post it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am interested. Would like to know the $$ before ordering, though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicss33 View Post
    Curious to know your price point before committing. Thanks. PM if you don’t want to post it
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    I am interested. Would like to know the $$ before ordering, though.

I'm thinking these will end up around $300 USD, to your door. It is coming out to more than I was originally anticipating, but I feel like that is still reasonable considdering. For example, Harbor Freight's fuel pressure test kit, is $50. Thats for their kit with the fuel bleed off valve. That is for a single, low quality, non-liquid filled gauge (which doesn't do you much good at all). So for essentially 2 gauges, with hoses, quality gauges, and bleed off valves, I don't think its too bad.

EDIT: The Snap-On basic kit lists for $320 as well. I know you can buy them for less depending on the driver/deal, but it gives you an idea. Basically Merc, or Snap-On, your paying $600 for gauges to test an Opti.

I don't have final numbers as I am waiting on some quotes for pressure gauges. Right now I have only looked at and considdered the Ashcroft brand. They are fairly expensive, but its what Mercury uses on theirs. Before commiting I will look at a few other brands of gauges. I don't want any eBay/Amazon stuff though.

Merc also uses the 1008 series gauge. I am thinking I will offer the gauge set with either the 2.5" 1008 gauge (or equivilent), as well as a set with the more accurate 1009 gauges in a 3.5"

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions, ideas etc.
    Blake
    Last edited by InjectorService; 12-27-2020 at 01:44 PM.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds reasonable to me. I am really trying to NOT buy China crap these days. I have been trying not to participate in funding the CCP for years, but with what they pulled on the world, no way.

There, I got to vent again.

7. Likes sonicss33 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidlake View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me. I am really trying to NOT buy China crap these days. I have been trying not to participate in funding the CCP for years, but with what they pulled on the world, no way.

There, I got to vent again.
    I agree 100%. I'm trying to make this as much US/Canadian made as possible. The bleed valves & hose are US made, I'm waiting to see where the gauges are made. I fear they are offshore. The fittings will most likely be offshore as well, although I want to contact the valve company. They show US made fittings, but no stock online.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m in for $300.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashcroft or Wika both make good gauges. I used 4.5" Wika gauges for both my nitrous/fuel flow and I would buy those cheap tire pressure gauges and throw the gauge away and put a 1% certified gauge in its place.
    They worked great until someone left the gauge on a tire, forgot and pushed the car,
    then ... not so much .
    Problem with gauges is .. you can buy reasonable quality, for fair money. And you can get carried away and spend over $1500 a piece on some made out of unobtanium.

The rest of what you have there could be easily done with push-lock connectors and hose. McMaster-Carr has it all but I also use https://www.usplastic.com/ for some of the stuff I need to do soft line nitrous kits .

Just a thought ...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How often does an Optimax owner need these things?

(I have made the plunge into 21st century outboard technology)<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT
    Last edited by Markus; 12-28-2020 at 06:59 AM.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Chaz, I'll take a look at the Wika gauges as well. I was thinking of doing this with push-lock as well. I haven't priced it that way yet, but it might save some labor. I definately have some decisions and more pricing to do on the whole project. I'm going to price it a few differnt ways, to see what makes the most sense from a $ standpoint, as well as quality.

Markus, basically any time you are having an issue on an Optimax it is a good place to start. The air/fuel system is quite complicated, and if neglected it can ruin your day and cost thousands of dollars. Its not a scarry system once you know what is going on, but there is a lot of misunderstood components, and false or misleading information out there on the internet. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I assume you bought yourself an Opti?

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    How often does an Optimax owner need these things?

(I have made the plunge into 21st century outboard technology)<object id="__symantecPKIClientMessenger" data-supports-flavor-configuration="true" data-extension-version="1.0.1" style="display: none;"></object>__PRESENT
    Usually right before they find out about the holes in their pistons. The day the last optiflop rattles to it's death will be a day of celebration. Anyhoo I made my own gauge set for around $250.00 ten years ago or so. Not terribly difficult and you should be able to sell some if you can half the retail cost.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I knew what to do with the gauges, I would be very interested at $3-400 dollars, but I don’t so my motor goes to a shop once in a while for the stuff I can’t figure out.
    08 Checkmate 2100br 250xs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    Usually right before they find out about the holes in their pistons. The day the last optiflop rattles to it's death will be a day of celebration.
    I had an inboard before this Optiflop(your words), that was time consuming and expensive, this thing is easy and cheap to live with by comparison. Given the price of a new 4 stroke, I can continue to enjoy the Optiflop for quite some time before the cost is prohibitive. Even taking it to a shop for service is not horrible.
    08 Checkmate 2100br 250xs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INJECTORSERVICE,

can you create a YouTube video on how to use this tool?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds great having a guage - manifold and connectors Blake . Get it sourced and refined and report back when you know better . A video sounds brilliant but understand how time consuming the tool would be .See how it works out .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast