Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbs are plastic never been blasted. 57D is stock jet for that motor. So have you checked YOUR high speed JETS or are just going on what YOU think they are.
    Last edited by keith scotton; 12-28-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how long do I have to run the mota before I can put high compression heads on it and not have to worry about re-jetting the carbs?

3. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having seen jets get larger after many hours of use I am with Keith that jets do grow. What needs to be under stood is that the D series of OMC/BRP jets are not what is stamped on them, they are on average .003 larger with that amount getting more as jet size increases. Basically a 57D will have about a .060 hole.

5. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Having seen jets get larger after many hours of use I am with Keith that jets do grow. What needs to be under stood is that the D series of OMC/BRP jets are not what is stamped on them, they are on average .003 larger with that amount getting more as jet size increases. Basically a 57D will have about a .060 hole.

It would take a lot of hours or a lot of dirt and corrosion for a 57 to grow to a 68 like what Keith said he found.
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customer uses boat 2-3 days a week will say 4 plus hours 52 weeks a year 24 years old that is about 5000 hours. But this is not first time I have seen this. So have YOU CHECKED YOUR HIGH SPEED JETS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you CHECKED YOUR JET CHART ... ???

Almost all jets are flowed and assigned a number. Before ever being put into production. Then maybe randomly tested to eliminate tolerance stacking and producing a poorly made run of parts.

Unless you have owned the jet since new (lot can happen in 40 years) or have a mfg's chart like the one listed below, your only "pokin n hopein".

Looks like .040 is a 40 (must all be that way)

Early on the hole gets smaller , but by the end of the range ( 85 and up ) you'll see that the hole size is vastly different from the number printed on the jet .

Cant make it any more simple than that ..

<---{mineral spirits 500cc /minute @ 43.5 psi {=--

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keith scotton View Post
    Customer uses boat 2-3 days a week will say 4 plus hours 52 weeks a year 24 years old that is about 5000 hours. But this is not first time I have seen this. So have YOU CHECKED YOUR HIGH SPEED JETS.
    so ya first checked 'em 24 years ago?.. jus askin'.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First place this is not a Holley carburetor or jet this is an OMC or BRP jet. Just checked a new jet of the shelf 57d its .057 inside. No I did not check them 24 years ago was going of reference number stamped in the jet and part number in parts book. This is NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN THIS. Motor ran ok did not turn same WOT rpm it was less and was using a lot more FUEL. The VERMONT GAGE SET I am using to measure this is .001 size differences starts at .011 and goes to.250 . Jets are very close to size stamped at the factory. This is not a race boat its just a fishing boat.
    Last edited by keith scotton; 12-30-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The jets were worn by the fuel but the reeds, cylinders, pistons and bearings were still ok? I would bet the wear you saw in the jets was caused by a drill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I did not check them 24 years ago was going of reference number stamped in the jet and part number in parts book. T
    so you are goin' "on an assumption" they were fine from omc, merc or whoever?.. you have no base number other than what its supposed ta be? did ALL of 'em show same amount of ware?.. jus havin' a hard time with a lubricant (fuel/oil) wearin' out "one" part of a motor???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have seen this in lots of motors just not this bad. They were all worn about the same with in .001 or .002 difference. I was just trying to see if any one else was seeing this and give a heads up on why peoples motors might be burning more fuel than when they were new. Dont remember seeing this years ago do now. But there are a lot of solvents in fuel now to keep fuel injectors clean. Put some old jets in some outboard oil like BRPs xd50 in a day or so they look like you just took them out of the factory package. Every thing in a motor wares some things faster than others. The Ethanol free gas at our local gas station looks and smell just like 100 low lead AV gas. I am trying to get impute if other people are seeing this. Gas in South East Texas has always been strange And I look at the refineries every day.
    Last edited by keith scotton; 12-31-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First place this is not a Holley carburetor or jet this is an OMC or BRP jet. Just checked a new jet of the shelf 57d its .057 inside. No I did not check them 24 years ago was going of reference number stamped in the jet and part number in parts book. This is NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN THIS. Motor ran ok did not turn same WOT rpm it was less and was using a lot more FUEL. The VERMONT GAGE SET I am using to measure this is .001 size differences starts at .011 and goes to.250 . Jets are very close to size stamped at the factory. This is not a race boat its just a fishing boat.
    The Holley chart was to show you ( stated twice) the correlation between a stamped number, actual size and how the same hole size can be three to four jet numbers.
    Let that soak in.

The reason you were asked if you checked them 24 years ago, was to show you that in that time span, a lot more can happen to them than gas and oil passing thru.
    Let that soak in.

Someday you might even find a piston that says .020 on top of it, I can be reasonably sure that the gas / oil used didn't open the bore up.

Oh, bless your heart ... Happy New Year <---{abrasive gas/oil [=-

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let it soak in. If I had only seen this once I might agree with Chaz. Have you ever checked your jets? Look at the structure of Gasoline they put things in it trying to stop corrosion. Things I have seen in carbs Rust Rubber Salt Sand Plastic Silicone Bug Parts Black Goop other wise known as old oil White Rust Water fresh and Salt most of though a 10 micron Filter. Alcohol in sum forms like ETHANOL and METHANOL are very corrosive. Look at what they put in gas Alkyl in different forms That is an acid used to keep fuel injectors valves and pistons clean of deposits. I have a Friend who makes lots of money cleaning trash out Fuel injectors off outboard motors. Yes I have had things miss mark Like Piston Rings Bearing and Just Part in General. I have seen a lot in the last 40 plus years of doing this. Every Thing Wares some faster than others and no the Grand Canyon was not made in a Day.
    So all I can say is I will agree to disagree With You SIR.
    Enjoy Life Keith
    Todays Fuels is Nothing like what we got just Ten Years Ago.
    Last edited by keith scotton; 01-02-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A bud of mine does ATV engine repairs and service. He puts "new" jets in every carb he touches. He has said the jets are so small and sensitive they really cannot be cleaned w/o enlarging them. I had him work on one of my suzuki 500's and it ran better than it ever had when I got it back. Yep, new jets were on the work order parts form.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Other Thing BRP or OMC Jets are most of the time with in .001 or .002 of actual size and are not over size Like the Holley Chart displayed above.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast