Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tri-Toon - Thoughts on Lowering The Center Toon For Added Speed

2007 G3 24 Foot Tri-Toon. I re-powered it last season with a new 2020 Yamaha 300 V6 FS, mounted on a 7 inch setback jackplate. The outer toons have 4 1/2 inch wide lifting strakes on both sides; the center toon does not.

I'm removing the center toon this winter to attach 6 inch wide lifting stakes. The center toon is not as long as the outer toons to accommodate the transom; about 3 feet shorter.

I think some of the faster toons on the market have the center toon lowered or has a larger log compared to the outer toons.

Will be somewhat easy to lower the center toon to possibly gain a couple MPH s. I'm thinking 2 inches after the strakes are attached.

Thoughts? This might work with a light load but could make it worse / slow it down with a heavy load?

Will run spot on 60 mph with a very light load. 19 Turbo OSI @ 6K RPM. Probably not best of props but testing continues.

I'm also replacing all deck panels (some are showing rot) this season with Coosa Blue Water 26 composite 4 X 8 panels. This will shed a good 100 pounds.

Picked this rig up last Spring. Had tons of fun last summer out running the punk wake boats on Dale Hollow; my Allison hardly got wet.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious too about your findings. I don't own one but been around them. My sister had a pontoon. It was fun for the whole family and friends but it was slow. Not fast enough to clear the river when a storm approached us. We got caught many times.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how much effect it would have on a tri toon vs a pontoon, but covering the bottom of the floor with sheetmetal or something similar has a huge benefit of acceleration and ride quality. We did this to my brothers boat this spring before putting it in the water for the season. It feels like a different boat. Hard to say on top end because its all the prop has currently. Gained maybe 1-2mph top end. The big gain was acceleration and better fuel economy. We used .030 aluminum. If you're going so far to pull the center log off, might be worth while to do this while in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6575.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	401.6 KB 
ID:	477978

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6" wide strakes are definitely a bonus and will help out tremendously, I don't think lowering the toon will do what you are looking for, but it will help the boat lean into the turns. On that note I also don't think it will hurt performance.

Years ago I built a tritoon with U shaped toons, outers were 24" tall center was 26 or 27" tall, for an old 90s boat it carved nicely.

And if your boat is not skinned underneath that is a must do.

5. Likes tnelsmn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What diameter are your toons?

Is your center tube set back from the front deck or does your motor sit under a sun pad area, when building my earlier tritoon I found having the motor behind the ends of the outer tubes helped out a ton, and I had the center set back 1 or 2 feet from front edge.

I would also consider lengthening the center tube or finding a longer larger diameter with strakes may be more cost effective.
    Especially knowing you can sell a center tube with a transom easily.

My tritoon has 27" with strakes on all but the outer edges of tubes, its a solid 40mph with 200 dts motor, tubes are set even height.

Picture is not the best but you can see how far back the motor is on my current boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200826_125632.jpg   20200826_125544.jpg   20200826_125552.jpg  
    Last edited by RedBusDriver; 11-28-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    2019 Crestliner 240 Rally DX CWDH Tritoon Merc 200 DTS
    2014 Checkmate 2000 Pulsare BRX Merc 250 Pro XS

Powerquest 290 Enticer FX Twin 454 Sold
    Hand Built 10ft Aluminum Jet Boat 1500cc Kawi 4stroke Sold
    Playcraft 24ft Tritoon conversion with 235 GT Johnson Sold

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My unkle did this same exact thing. Installed a larger diamiter center log hoping to give it more lift and go faster. Well long story short. It made the boat slower. Much slower. The center log made the boat sit higher when sitting still but up on plane it it would not get to rpm range anymore and the center took PUSHEDa lot of water. Thus slowing the boat down. He had a 140 on it too. He sold the log and got a smaller diamiter log and got his speed back because the log was no longer in the water pushing.

Don't waste your time with a larger log in the center.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill636 View Post
    My unkle did this same exact thing. Installed a larger diamiter center log hoping to give it more lift and go faster. Well long story short. It made the boat slower. Much slower. The center log made the boat sit higher when sitting still but up on plane it it would not get to rpm range anymore and the center took PUSHEDa lot of water. Thus slowing the boat down. He had a 140 on it too. He sold the log and got a smaller diamiter log and got his speed back because the log was no longer in the water pushing.

Don't waste your time with a larger log in the center.
    In lower HP pontoons I think a center tube will hurt performance, but everyone's results will vary.
    Premier and alot of other manufacutures run larger center tube or even an oval shaped with great results these boats also generally have at lease 200hp
    2019 Crestliner 240 Rally DX CWDH Tritoon Merc 200 DTS
    2014 Checkmate 2000 Pulsare BRX Merc 250 Pro XS

Powerquest 290 Enticer FX Twin 454 Sold
    Hand Built 10ft Aluminum Jet Boat 1500cc Kawi 4stroke Sold
    Playcraft 24ft Tritoon conversion with 235 GT Johnson Sold

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't it be advantageous to roll the front of the "pad" up, like a ski .. ?

It seems like every time that blunt leading edge dips in the water, it would be like touching the brakes ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need big power to get up on a large diameter center toon if you are running a 26 foot or longer tritoon. Smaller "lighter ones seem to work okay with smaller motors"--Manitou has them figured out but for rough water, I don't think you will beat a PlayCraft. I have never seen a faster single nor have I seen a single carry itself better then the set up that David Dorris from Playcraft boats runs "it literately runs with no porpoise and hangs like a cat" . Set back is your friend and he has a lot of rocker cut into his bigger center log. Consistent 80 mph with a stock 400R and 27 foot center toon 'no outside strakes".

Name:	pc4.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	478068

Name:	pc1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	478066

Name:	pc2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	478065

Name:	pc3.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	201.7 KB 
ID:	478064

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	20201130_120459.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	386.2 KB 
ID:	478113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201130_120341.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	478114

The logs are U shaped, 23 inches across. The bottom is covered but its currently removed in prep to pull out the center toon to weld the strakes.

As you can see, the center toon does not go all the way back. I guessed 3 feet bit it's actually 4 feet after measuring it. I guess this helps clean up the water for the gearcase? Really not in the mood, least not this year to consider a longer center toon with longer transom.

Might just lower the center toon an inch based on comments so far With the center toon not going all the way back and lowered some, maybe this will create a "rocker" effect to help raise the bow more without porposing. Thanks for the comments. I'm getting ready to pull of the deck sheets.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't think your boat is riding on the center toon at all when your trimmed all the way out, since you have a 3/4 center toon.

www.InjectorService.com
    Call/Text - 204-326-0390

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to replace the tubes think about about stepping the centre tube down where the motor trims up. It provides plenty of bend radius for the cables when the motor is trimmed up all the way and a nice platform for servicing the engine. I also extended my outer tubes to provide a step pad to the centre tube and for boarding at the rear.
    I made all 3 tubes 24" diameter and all same height. I wish I had gone for the lifting strake option when I replaced my tubes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200503_155439.jpg  
    Triad V21 #002 - 15in DBR 300 xs
    19' J-Craft - 175 Opti
    18' Pontoon - 115 CT 4S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not add 3 more tunes? If you have a tritune now and add 3 more you could have a sextune, then it would matter less that it was slow.
    ANTI40​It's just an idea.

15. Likes rgsauger liked this post
    Conowingo Lake,Md-Summer Astor,Fl.- Winter.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Playcraft Daytona 22' with 2" deeper and 4" wider center toon. Outside pontoons are 20" wide by 24" deep. Center toon is 24" wide and 26" deep. Center pontoon is also setback. It handles better than the standard Playcraft seup. Note that there are no lifting strakes on the outside of the outside toons. It turns like a V bottom. Hull runs higher and turns on a dime at 45mphClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	480997
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3728.jpg   IMG_3741.jpg  
    Last edited by Carlson150XS; 01-24-2021 at 09:25 AM.
    Jim

00 Playcraft Powertoon 00/200 Optimax
    57 Trojan Sea Queen/57 Johnson 35hp
    05 J16 Carolina Skiff 93/50 Johnson
    86 Harris Pontoon 73/60 Johnson

Conowingo Lake,Md-Summer Astor,Fl.- Winter.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW I've had the same Playcraft Daytona 22 hull without the center toon deeper than the sides with the exact same setup and the one with the Deeper center toon was quicker(1-2mph) and handled better. It made a difference.
    Jim

00 Playcraft Powertoon 00/200 Optimax
    57 Trojan Sea Queen/57 Johnson 35hp
    05 J16 Carolina Skiff 93/50 Johnson
    86 Harris Pontoon 73/60 Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast